Bolt on aftermarket suppliers

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
mjrally
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Bolt on aftermarket suppliers

Post by mjrally » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:16 pm

Other than IMZ and Raceway, are there any other vendors that make bolt on back rests? I may have to put 3 people on the Tourist and like the idea of a back support/oh $#!+ support for the bike bench seat.
2011 Tourist

bratmanxj

Re: Bolt on aftermarket suppliers

Post by bratmanxj » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:39 am

Interested as well. Fabricating one using some inexpensive used take-offs from other manufacturers wouldn't be hard, but I don't have a whole lot of free time to work with.

My son is getting big enough to ride on the bike and would like one in the future. I have only seen the Raceway ones readily available, but they are black and I have an older Tourist with chrome accents. IMZ had a chrome/stainless one available in Europe but I was unable to find a way to purchase it state-side.
1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
2007 Ural Tourist - The Big Red Brick
Chinese Knock off Honda Trail 70 rescued from the in-laws shed
1984 Suzuki LT125 Quadrunner - Sold off to a Friend
Boats, Jets Skis and Golf Carts...other fun stuff!

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:56 pm

I thought I saw UralNE video recently they did a build with a nice headrest for sidecar, will try to post it if I can find it.
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:18 pm

My mistake it was heindl that had it.

-JR

1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

bratmanxj

Post by bratmanxj » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:49 pm

IMG_3466-1.jpg
I understood the original post to be looking for a backrest for the bike, not for the tub.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
2007 Ural Tourist - The Big Red Brick
Chinese Knock off Honda Trail 70 rescued from the in-laws shed
1984 Suzuki LT125 Quadrunner - Sold off to a Friend
Boats, Jets Skis and Golf Carts...other fun stuff!

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:10 pm

Just be warned, one of the LEAST stable configurations riding the Ural is with two people on the bike and one in the sidecar.
I would avoid riding three up if at all possible and definitely not on main roads.

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:25 am

What happens? :?
-JR

1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

Rich Maund
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Rich Maund » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:42 am

Three people can make the rig very tippy in a turn.
Especially if you put the child in the sidecar and have the adults ride on the bike seat.
This is my step ladder. I never got to know my real ladder.

2002 Kawasaki ZR750 Sport

Claus

Post by Claus » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:47 am

Happytrails wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:25 am
To answer this question I just tell like I have nearly lost my left leg.
I had my Ural for only a year or so and parked outside a supermarket, where a couple of youngsters asked me to give them a ride on that beautiful rig. I first refused to do so but after a while they talked me over. I took it real easy and drove them around with about 25kph on the supermarket´s site. In a right turn the girl on the pillion moved to the left and the hack´s wheel went up. I steered straight to get it back down but couldn´t make it and drifted a more to the left. In the end I got the wheel back to the ground somehow and while stopping the bike I was very close to a double high guardrail that fenced the site. While stopping my left leg was sqeezed between the bike and guardrail, being twisted due to the last movement of the rig. I hit the upper part of the guardrail with my upper body.
I was in hospital for 3 weeks, my leg needed 8 months until I could bend it with pain.
Imagine a shopping bag on the co-driver´s seat of your car. What happens, if you take a right turn? The bag will tilt to your side. This happens with a passenger that´s not used to sitting on the pillion of a rig. And if you´re not a skilled rider, you will lose control of the vehicle.

This is not what MUST happen three up, but it CAN happen. And you can´t control a pillion rider if you don´t know him well.
I know couple with children who ride 3 or 4 up un rigs. They are used to and most of them ride big bikes with wide side cars that are much heavier than a Ural, have 14" or 15" wheels and a much lower center of gravity.
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 650 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:04 pm

Ouch that sounds bad. Glad you guys told me.

So riding with someone as passenger on bike and empty sidecar is even more dangerous?
-JR

1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:24 pm

YES! The chap who gave me my initial tuition told me at one point, that is a must never ever! The COG is moved very close to centre line of the bike, if that line is crossed when the sidecar wheel comes up, it's going to tip over. :o
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Rusty Nuts

Post by Rusty Nuts » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:14 pm

Claus wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:47 am
Happytrails wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:25 am
To answer this question I just tell like I have nearly lost my left leg.
I had my Ural for only a year or so and parked outside a supermarket, where a couple of youngsters asked me to give them a ride on that beautiful rig. I first refused to do so but after a while they talked me over. I took it real easy and drove them around with about 25kph on the supermarket´s site. In a right turn the girl on the pillion moved to the left and the hack´s wheel went up. I steered straight to get it back down but couldn´t make it and drifted a more to the left. In the end I got the wheel back to the ground somehow and while stopping the bike I was very close to a double high guardrail that fenced the site. While stopping my left leg was sqeezed between the bike and guardrail, being twisted due to the last movement of the rig. I hit the upper part of the guardrail with my upper body.
I was in hospital for 3 weeks, my leg needed 8 months until I could bend it with pain.
Imagine a shopping bag on the co-driver´s seat of your car. What happens, if you take a right turn? The bag will tilt to your side. This happens with a passenger that´s not used to sitting on the pillion of a rig. And if you´re not a skilled rider, you will lose control of the vehicle.

This is not what MUST happen three up, but it CAN happen. And you can´t control a pillion rider if you don´t know him well.
I know couple with children who ride 3 or 4 up un rigs. They are used to and most of them ride big bikes with wide side cars that are much heavier than a Ural, have 14" or 15" wheels and a much lower center of gravity.
Thanks for sharing. I would have thought it was a bad idea but being able to share an actual story makes it more real. Note taken.
2019 Gear Up "Babe"
2017 Indian Roadmaster Classic "Cheyenne"

tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar

Post by tgtrotter » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:06 am

Riding two up on a cycle I've always asked my passenger, and made myself very attentive too, to lean forward and keep their weight forward of the center of the rear axle when going slow and/or making turns. I make sure they understand they are on a cycle and their movements effect the steering. That consequences of susceptibility to physical injury vs. a car, if awareness is not adheered to at all times. No ones perfect but the operator is the pilot. I've ridden plenty times "beyotch" as a youth and fully understand weight and dynamics: ie trying/fighting the lean.

This discussion momentarilty has changed to driving 3 up. My experience is driving a sidecar 5 years. I had used the yellow book and some of the forum to acclimate myself to a sidecar rig. The first two years I was not the only rookie. Monkeys too. Mostly my wife who was enthusiastically mesmerized by the ride. One day my neighbor got in the car and WOW !!!. He used to race monkey. He appropriatly threw his weight around, opening a whole new world to me. Within moments we were a team. I told my wife all about it. . Now her and I very easily navigate the rig TOGETHER.

I have yet to drive 3 up on a Ural. I appreciate this heads up. I probably wouldn't have thought of it but definitely would have noticed. Hopefully not as severe as Claus' did. So again, appreciate the heads up. Hopefully others get this too. Thank you Claus and I will be a benefit of your lesson learned.

It's true. I have a back rest on my FLTRI. I am adamant my wife leans forward at slow speed. She has always been good with not leaning for me.. So yeah adding a passenger back rest ....is more than just adding a back rest. Duh !! Right. This forum has brought beneficial insight.
Screenshot_20200411-095617.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
Powertrain OEM
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P