C-19 and the Ural Community (Corrected Title)

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
BinDerSmokDat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: C-19 and the Ural Community (Corrected Title)

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:49 am

lendrinkard wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:09 am
While get gas for my car. I saw a guy filling five gas can. I guess gas will be the next thing people take too much of.
We filled up all three vehicles (his, hers, camping van) last week in the course of our usual routine.
It will probably be the same gas I'm burning in May at this pace.

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:49 am

Breaking news: UK prime minister tested positive for coronavirus. Prince Charles, the heir to the throne, was also a couple of days ago. The Queen is still OK at the mo.

UK cases: 11,816, deaths: 578 (Sun newspaper)
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

jvan1954

Post by jvan1954 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:50 pm

Kinda miss the updates from Wazzockistan, hope all is well over there.
Jerry Van

there is no problem so complex, nor situation so dire, that its solution can not be found in the skillful application of high explosives.
Ride a 2013 tourist that I call "the ural"

VWNate1
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by VWNate1 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:23 pm

Well ;

Los Angeles has more deaths than the U.K. now and I'm sure if you add all the California infections and deaths it'll be a scary number, why the so called liberal media doesn't do that .

As it turns out, as I was out yesterday filling the tank of my truck and getting mail, feeding the dogs etc., I began to sweat profusely and my decades old persistent cough got noticeably worse so I took my temperature ~ 102* Fon the nose .

So, off to Kaiser I went, they have an urgent care check in system set up in the basement of the parking garage, they Dr. listened to my lungs and said " uh, oh ~ I'm going to send you in for chest X-rays" .

I had one of my Foster boys in the truck he got really sacred, it turns out that because I was a heavy smoker fro age 10 to 24 (when I quit cold turkey) and used to work in choking clouds of asbestos dust in the early 1970's my lungs are in bad shape (I knew this) .

He said it looks like I only have a cold or some flu bug, go back home and keep resting, drinking lots of water etc., etc....

My poor Foster boy was close to tears thinking the only stable male he knows might be hospitalized or die....

Poor kids, they've all been through too much before we get them .

Meanwhile, a crazy old woman I know is blowing her disability check on bottled water and ten years worth of toilet paper, now she's $pending more $ on special toilet paper from some African charmer she met.....

Folks are going batshyte crazy and my old Honda CT90 refuses to start .
-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo
'10 Solo sT Crashed & Ruined 6.26.17 :cry:

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:58 pm

Sorry to hear about your CT90 Nate...

(...and glad to hear it was only a cold...)
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:05 pm

Bluddy hell Nate, hoping you make out OK. :o

Just for jvan :D

UK: tested positive: 29,474, recovered: 135, fatalities: 2,352

Increased grumbling and pressure from the press about lack of PPE and testing, altho both are increasing. It's just the demand is large. The press is also saying seems like government is "dragging its feet" about the antibodies test but they (the government) are saying they want to make absolutely sure it works 100%, false results will be much worse than no tests at all. For example Madrid ordered half a million (?) or something, test kits from China but they're useless so had to send them back.

In the UK lots of people doing extraordinary things to help the effort, just a couple of examples, The Mint (where our money is printed and coinage stamped) have started a production line to make face masks (which seems out of context), which they designed in literally a couple of days, also, the Mercedes Formula 1 team came up with breather apparatus control valves that hospitals can use, I gather it's based on the protective breathing equipment that a racing driver has in case of a fire in the car.

Today, government showed concern over increased private motor vehicle traffic during the last 2 days, saying still need to keep the squeeze on, no non-essential journeys.
Mike H

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:09 pm

On the home front, I managed to get a groceries home delivery slot this evening from local supermarket, so I think I'm good now for the next couple of weeks at least. :D

Also takeaway food deliveries still working so can still get my curries etc. :D
Mike H

jvan1954

Post by jvan1954 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:13 pm

Good to know that you are OH TAY Mr Wazzock
Jerry Van

there is no problem so complex, nor situation so dire, that its solution can not be found in the skillful application of high explosives.
Ride a 2013 tourist that I call "the ural"

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:15 pm

Thanks for your concern, it is appreciated. :D
Mike H

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:44 pm

I've my annual check-up appointment next week, for which my Doctor wants to have a blood panel on hand for routine review. This requires a brief visit to the relevant lab facility ~1 week in advance of said appointment.

And so I sallied forth on the Ural to the walk-in lab services clinic, at which my electronically-transmitted panel order was waiting. A nurse was sitting just inside the entrance, asking all who approached to stand behind a newly painted line (on the exterior side) and answer three questions:

1. Have you been tested for the coronavirus?
1a. If yes, have you received the results yet?
2. Do you live with anyone who has been tested?
3. Do you have a fever or feel ill right now?

Truthfully replying No to Qs 1 -3, I was allowed entry, where my blood draw proceeded without issue.

After I waked out and was gearing up to leave, I noticed that a retirement-aged man was being asked the same battery of questions. Although I wasn't trying to listen, being parked near the entrance allowed me to clearly hear their conversation. He had been tested for the virus, he said, but he hadn't yet received the results. The nurse denied him entry, explaining the policy behind doing so. The old fellow protested that he was there for a CAT scan (this facility also provides imaging services). The nurse, not wavering from her professional and polite demeanor, explained that there wasn't any flexibility in the matter.

Now ready to depart, I backed out and pulled away as the man remaining standing on the line.

I think some folks may learn the hard way just how serious the month of April is going to be, from the national level all the way down to the local level.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:16 pm

Get well Nate!
Good to hear from you mr. Wazzock.
Skizo hasn't been posting for a while...

Hang in there guys, help is coming from motherland Russia, Putin and Trump spoke about a few days ago.
It's in a huge Russian Antonov An-124-100 military transport airplane.

You can use the link below to watch the video:

https://youtu.be/djno-DVD4vo

You can read:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... lies-to-us
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (Боевая Машина Десанта)

The rest is just history.

BlueRockCrawler

Post by BlueRockCrawler » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:57 am

VWNate1 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:23 pm
Well ;

Los Angeles has more deaths than the U.K. now and I'm sure if you add all the California infections and deaths it'll be a scary number, why the so called liberal media doesn't do that .
I'm having trouble parsing this sentence, I doesn't quite make sense. What isn't the "so called liberal media" doing? Current epidemiologic models are saying possibly 200,000 dead in the US alone. w@$# your hands and keep your social distance and stay safe.

2020 KTM Duke 790
2018 Suzuki DR 650
previous bikes were
1993 Suzuki DR 650
2015 Ural Patrol
1996 750 Magna
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna

Michal
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Michal » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:01 am

BlueRockCrawler wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:57 am
Current epidemiologic models are saying possibly 200,000 dead in the US alone.
That would not be that bad. Of course it sucks when you turn out to be one of them.

Per statistics https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm 2.8 million people die in the US every year. So if 200,000 more will die, neglecting fact that part of Cov victims would die this year anyway, it makes just 7% more this year.

I don't know if that estimation is too optimistic or if I see that too optimistic way.

Reminded me one quote:
The death of one man is tragic, but the death of thousands is statistic. - Joseph Stalin
By my deeds I honor him, flat twin.
Михаил
2002 Днепр 650 Молодежный Чоппер (КМЗ-8.157.022)
2005 Урал 750 Спортсман (2WD)

bgenest

Post by bgenest » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:35 am

Michal wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:01 am
BlueRockCrawler wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:57 am
Reminded me one quote:
The death of one man is tragic, but the death of thousands is statistic. - Joseph Stalin

"A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic. When one dies, it is a tragedy. When a million die, it is a statistic."
2015 Burgundy Patrol "Stickee Monkee"

bratmanxj

Post by bratmanxj » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:32 pm

Indiana has now "canceled" school through the rest of this school year and will be completely e-learning. They have rolled back the 180 days of learning requirement to 160 and making every concession for schools to be able to pass students on.
1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
2007 Ural Tourist - The Big Red Brick
Chinese Knock off Honda Trail 70 rescued from the in-laws shed
1984 Suzuki LT125 Quadrunner - Sold off to a Friend
Boats, Jets Skis and Golf Carts...other fun stuff!