Claus zum Fledermaus-telefon bitte.

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
Lmo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Claus zum Fledermaus-telefon bitte.

Post by Lmo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:45 pm

Have you ever fitted a drum brake to a Dnepr sidecar?

The backing plate seems to be available from several sources, but the pedal assembly is not. Perhaps there is a 'simpler' way to fit a brake than the with Dnepr parts?
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

Wildhorse Cafe

Re: Claus zum Fledermaus-telefon bitte.

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:33 pm

Quick, to the bat phone!
2011 Patrol, The Higgs Bison Super Collider, formally known as, the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, Chernaya Krasota, formally known as, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

Claus

Post by Claus » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:04 am

I did. Last time I hung a Dnepr sidecar to a BMW R80/7 I mounted a Ural pedal assembly to the Dnepr side car. No pictures, but the customer is coming to my shop this Saturday to get a new neutral switch done on his gearbox. If wished, I could make some pictures of what I have done.
What I remember is, that I used a Ural back plate and welded a piece of steel to the swing arm to hold it (it´s different to Dnepr, where it´s locked by two bolts.
The pedal assembly and the linking parts can be done real easy if you´ve got a welder. No rocket science.
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 650 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:15 am

Photos would be most helpful (no need to re-invent anything). And, I do have a welder.

Vielen dank.
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

Claus

Post by Claus » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:49 am

Now here some pics:
As I had the rig in house I remebered that it was not me to convert the brake to Ural , but it was me to make it work. I reinforced the lever bracket and put a roller-bearing with a plastic wheel under the brake pedal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 650 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

Claus

Post by Claus » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:57 am

This are pics of a 650 Ural sidecar to show how it is made from the manufacturer
I hope the pics are clear enough to explain what´s it about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Claus

Post by Claus » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:58 am

I forgot this:

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:38 pm

Thank you for the extensive photos Claus. The roller under the brake pedal is brilliant!

My rig is 'mongrel' (Mischling); the wheels are all Dnepr, with Dnepr front brake, but with a Ural rear brake.

I haven't spent much time looking at the Dnepr sidecar swing arm, but I'm guessing that adapting a Ural sidecar brake backing plate might be easier that installing a Dnepr assembly. I imagine Ural parts are more available over here (although there seem to be plenty of Dnepr sidecar brake components overseas (on your side of the Atlantic)).

Your thoughts?

edit - did Ural even make drum brakes for the sidecar? Maybe I should just stick with Dnepr parts...
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

Claus

Post by Claus » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:17 am

Lmo wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:38 pm

edit - did Ural even make drum brakes for the sidecar? Maybe I should just stick with Dnepr parts...
They did. In my opinion (I don´t want to offend those who keep that Dneprs on the road with big effort) the Dnepr system is not as convenient to drive as the Urals side car brake is. The foot lever is too high and the brake cable is too weak. I personally like the lever- activated rod system of Ural .

Talking about the backing plate, the Dnepr system is better from the construction sight, because the brake can be adjusted from the outside, where on a Ural you have to take the wheel off. But that´s about all, when talking about benefits. Regarding the times when all wheels were braked with drum brakes, the side car wheel had the best brake on a Ural rig. It´s even good enough for a 60 hp rig, if set up properly.
Building up a Ural brake on a Dnepr side car goes together with welding, building parts, galvanizing and painting.
The foot brake lever of a Dnepr is not made for activating anything else than a Dnepr brake (but once having the angle grinder at hand... :mrgreen: )

I´m not sure what I would do. If you are bored, have the tools in your shed, miss a side car brake and have some spare time in winter, well, that might be a good thing. If you find the Dnepr foot brake lever a PITA like I do, it´s another reason. If you like your bike as it is and just want to add more braking power to it, it might be easyer to install a Dnepr brake. It can be set up to work well if you invest enough time and your brake drum is o.k (not separated from the hub and the drum is still round). This would take only a few hours, and less money. In the worst case, your swing arm has no holder for the Dnepr backing plate. So you have to make one and weld it on.
Screenshot_2019-12-10 Hinten Schwinge Seitenwagenrahmen URAL IMZ sidecar lever Levier Palanca eBay.png
But this would only mean to have one single welding on the swing arm

The roller on my conversion is much better than the original Ural system, but you have to do it as the last step . The rig has to be set up to your desire before that, because it´s not as variable. It has to be located directly under the brake lever. And it has to be very sturdy to avoid twisting.

Regarding the availability of parts here: I can buy every single part very easy. One of my closest friends is Dimitri, the owner of ural-hamburg.de
Regarding the parts quality of most Dnepr parts nowadays in the German market: :bs:

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:39 am

Vielen Dank! Viel mehr zu lesen!

And yes, I do find the Dnepr brake lever a royal PITA; for more than one reason.
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims