Cannot engage in reverse

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
AngryAmish

Cannot engage in reverse

Post by AngryAmish » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:26 pm

Hello everyone,
I have a dilemma that I can’t figure out. I have a 2017 Gear Up and I cannot get it in reverse. Normal shifting is not a problem. Upshifting or downshifting. When I’m in neutral, my lever only moves about an inch, it will not engage in reverse. The ural has 1000 miles.
It hasn’t been used in 8 months. I just replaced the battery. What can it be ?

VWK75S
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Cannot engage in reverse

Post by VWK75S » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:37 pm

Can you put it in reverse without the engine running?
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 145,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

AngryAmish

Post by AngryAmish » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:42 pm

No I cannot John. I tried with my hand pushing and pulling, won’t move. I had no issues when I last used it before the winter

tparr

Post by tparr » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:48 pm

AA
My bike is a 2013 gear up. the only way i can find neutral is by going into first gear, then i apply a gentle pressure on the heal shifter while simultaneously moving the neutral/reverse lever backward. this will get the transmission in neutral and sometimes it will go directly into reverse, other times i must feather the clutch as i apply gentle pressure to the reverse lever to get from neutral to reverse. clear as mud right? :D hope this helps.

Tim
2013 Gear Up, Forrest Fog
new to me in 2018, 19,995 km

Gunfighter
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Gunfighter » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:14 pm

I too have a '17 GU. All I have to offer here is the technique I use to shift into reverse on my rig. BUT, it works every time. Sometimes its harder than other times, but it works. I have no hand shifters on my rig, so all references here to shifting are done with the two foot shifters.

Here we go:

1. With engine idleing, downshift all the way into first gear, Be absolutely sure you are in first gear.

2, Shift into reverse. If shifter doesn't move all the way down, let clutch lever out a small amount (maybe 2 or 3 rch's) while pressing harder on the shift pedal. I am not recommending standing on the pedal! You should feel the transmission clunk into reverse. To be sure, let the clutch lever out a little, and the rig should try to move backwards.

3. To go forward now, step down on the front end of the reverse shifter. The transmission will now be in NEUTRAL, each and every time. This acts as a neutral finder, and after you master this clumsy sounding technique you will never again be searching between first and second gears trying to find neutral.

Let me know how this works for you. Ride safe and enjoy your Ural.
John, aka Gunfighter

'17 Ural Gear Up Sahara
'96 BMW R1100RS, red
'92 BMW R100R, black
Others, now long gone, going back to 1960

USS Biddle DLG-34, Piraz Station, Tonkin Gulf

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:53 pm

Gunfighter wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:14 pm
2, Shift into reverse. If shifter doesn't move all the way down, let clutch lever out a small amount (maybe 2 or 3 rch's) while pressing harder on the shift pedal. I am not recommending standing on the pedal! You should feel the transmission clunk into reverse.
Image this

I also find it won't go in if bike is stationary, and gearbox is not turning. What he said let clutch lever out just a wee bit, then pull it back fully again while (gently!) pushing reverse lever back, you can feel it snatching on the dogs as they spin round. Let them slow down to a stop then CLUNK! it goes in. :D

However in this case it might not simply be "user error" :P
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")