Poll: Should I Get A Brand New ( 2017) Ural?

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.

Should I get a brand new Ural, or will it be a waste of money, as it will break fairly soon?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:40 pm

Yes, get one, you likely won't be disappointed.
72%
No, it will just be an aggravation you don't need.
28%

Total votes: 54

Aufgeblassen
Comrade
Comrade

Poll: Should I Get A Brand New ( 2017) Ural?

Post by Aufgeblassen » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:40 pm

Given the "apparent" short life (i.e. approx. 50K mile engine life) and the MAJOR engine failures (i.e. crank breaking) I've read about here in the short time I've been here, should I, or should I NOT invest in a brand new one??? Note: I won't be riding the pi$$ out of it (i.e. limiting top speed to probably 60 MPH, and accelerating conservatively)

Eric N
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Poll: Should I Get A Brand New ( 2017) Ural?

Post by Eric N » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:53 pm

I vote for a new one, not because it's the best advice, but I'm curious about how the 2017's hold up. Not worried about engine/ gears/ drive but the handlebar mounted emergency brake, sidecar seat, the new stuff. The more people that buy new, the better info we get.

Bang for the buck, you can buy used and still have plenty of $$$ left over for any repairs. Many used Urals have less than 10,000kms on them with owners selling them once the "ooh shiny" wears off (especially if the owner has other bikes). However at some point I'll likely sell my 2001 and buy an EFI version just because I'm tired of rejetting each 5,000' elevation change (if I was a flatlander, I'd stick with my carbed bike, it's sorted, reliable and parts for 650's are cheap).
2018 Gear Up 825cc
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

wooden nickel

Post by wooden nickel » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:57 pm

With a Ural, it is always a crap shoot. If you get a good one, all will be wonderful. If not, hopefully it will get sorted before the warranty dies. If you are the type who demands perfection, you are definitely are not going to like it. If you can enjoy a machine with some quirks and requires operator attention, you might enjoy it. It is an odd machine but hard to beat for camping, getting groceries, gravel roads and low friction environments. Myself I love mine even if it is dead right now. I've owned one for 11 years and haven't been mistreated by my dealers or the mothership yet.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

Aufgeblassen
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Aufgeblassen » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:07 pm

Eric N wrote:
Bang for the buck, you can buy used and still have plenty of $$$ left over for any repairs.
But having a 2 year warranty is nothing to sneeze at, IMHO. I have been a reliability engineer, so I know that failures occur with a "bathtub curve", meaning they happen at a relatively high rate early on, then at a low level during an item's lifetime (either mechanical or electrical), then increases significantly during its wear-out phase. So most likely, early failures (aka manufacturing defects) will occur during the warranty period. Especially since I plan neither "run the snot out of it", nor barely use it.

This is why I NEVER buy extended warranties; odds are that the failure rate after manufacturer's warranty will be EXTREMELY LOW.

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:17 pm

Bathtub curve also explains why buying a used bike with 10,000kms at half the cost of new is a good deal.

Here's the thing with the warranty. Sure, in theory the repairs are covered. Cool! How far are you from a dealer that can do the repairs? How long in terms of weeks/ months (we're not talking days, we are talking weeks/ months) will the repair take? If you have to trailer the bike an hour and wait a month to get it fixed, that's way different from my car going to the dealer a few miles away and coming back in a couple days. Warranty with Ural doesn't mean quick, easy, fast, convenient repair.

I bought my bike to ride, which means if there's a problem I'm likely going to be hundreds of miles from the nearest service center. If I break down while on the road, am I more likely to pay the local shop to help fix it, or sort through the warranty process? Me, I want to get back on the road pronto, odds are the local shop (or realistically shadetree me) will void the warranty in that process anyway. You, you can tow it home and wait for repair, me, I'll continue my trip.

Since you don't really plan to use the bike much, you'll likely not even get into the normal life range before the warranty runs out. You're buying an expensive garage decoration, dust collector that will see occasional use. However, in a couple years when it only has 10,000 kms on it and you decide to sell it,....
2018 Gear Up 825cc
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

Aufgeblassen
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Aufgeblassen » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:18 pm

wooden nickel wrote:With a Ural, it is always a crap shoot. If you get a good one, all will be wonderful.
Personally, i don't believe that some vehicles (of the same model) are terrible lemons, and some are great. Statistically, some are indeed better than others, due to statistical variations, but the variations aren't huge, IMHO.

The biggest factor (by far) is taking care of your vehicle, whatever it happens to be.

Aufgeblassen
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Aufgeblassen » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:20 pm

Eric N wrote:Bathtub curve also explains why buying a used bike with 10,000kms at half the cost of new is a good deal.

Here's the thing with the warranty. Sure, in theory the repairs are covered. Cool! How far are you from a dealer that can do the repairs? How long in terms of weeks/ months (we're not talking days, we are talking weeks/ months) will the repair take? If you have to trailer the bike an hour and wait a month to get it fixed, that's way different from my car going to the dealer a few miles away and coming back in a couple days. Warranty with Ural doesn't mean quick, easy, fast, convenient repair.

I bought my bike to ride, which means if there's a problem I'm likely going to be hundreds of miles from the nearest service center. If I break down while on the road, am I more likely to pay the local shop to help fix it, or sort through the warranty process? Me, I want to get back on the road pronto, odds are the local shop (or realistically shadetree me) will void the warranty in that process anyway. You, you can tow it home and wait for repair, me, I'll continue my trip.

Since you don't really plan to use the bike much, you'll likely not even get into the normal life range before the warranty runs out. You're buying an expensive garage decoration, dust collector that will see occasional use. However, in a couple years when it only has 10,000 kms on it and you decide to sell it,....
You have some very good points! Thanks!

rivers

Post by rivers » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:32 pm

Upgrading from an older Ural or considering your first Ural? If upgrading and you have the money I wouldn't be afraid of an 017 at all. If for your first Ural, I suggest starting with a good condition used one till you're sure this whole sidecar/Ural thing is for you. Piloting an odd handling goofy triangle down the road isn't for everyone. If it is you can always upgrade later. My used 06 was a good Ural. The new 011 was better and the new 014 is better yet. IMZ really is trying harder than they did in the early export days.
Keep in mind everything bad you read on the internet doesn't happen to every Ural ever sold. I would base your decision on "actual personal" previous Ural experience and amount of money in your bank account. In any case keep up on the easy "required" regular scheduled servicing religiously and enjoy the ride. Best of luck with your decision.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:49 pm

One reason I bought my 2001 was because I wanted to see how much use it gets. If it became something that cluttered the garage, I could sell it for what I had into it. I also wanted real, not theoretical experience, with the features/ options before spending more for new. Maintenance never worried me, the engine is a glorified lawnmower engine and not something hard to work on.

2WD sounds great on paper, if I wasn't using it I would not buy another one with it. The sidecar spotlight is, for me, useless (I ride in the morning, home or at camp by dark). I don't like the shovel or stock fluid canister. The sidecar windshield is sitting on a shelf in the garage. These are things that were stock on my Patrol when it was built and when I was researching Urals I thought they sounded cool.

My 2001 has blacked out valve covers but otherwise bare aluminum engine/ drive. When I was shopping I thought the blacked out engine sounded cool, but I learned the valve covers/ exhaust are where I want black, the other parts which are bare aluminum get a coat of dirt/ oil and have their own patina that I like better than the black.

Like Rivers points out, not everyone enjoys sidecars. I prefer two wheels for most riding, I feel safer on two wheels, but the Ural has it's place.
2018 Gear Up 825cc
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

wooden nickel

Post by wooden nickel » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:36 pm

The biggest factor (by far) is taking care of your vehicle, whatever it happens to be.
For the most part I agree with this, but Urals are a low volume almost hand made bike and you are very much at the mercy of the particular assembler you get and how they felt that day. Otherwise we wouldn't have welds that fail with rust underneath them. Not to mention the spotty fastener quality.
My first Ural came from the factory with a final drive gasket that completely missed one of the bolts. It didn't leak for the first 600 km and then it just poured. If it had been a long trip instead of a local, I would have fried a final drive.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

Aufgeblassen
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Aufgeblassen » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:50 pm

wooden nickel wrote:
For the most part I agree with this, but Urals are a low volume almost hand made bike and you are very much at the mercy of the particular assembler you get and how they felt that day.
Really? Even though they are sold WORLDWIDE??? :(

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:09 pm

Aufgeblassen wrote:Really? Even though they are sold WORLDWIDE??? :(
How many Urals per year do you think are built?

Sold worldwide doesn't mean much, I think the dealer 120 miles south of me sold 2 Urals per year. The dealer 60 miles north of me might be doing better, especially since the south dealer stopped selling Urals.

New York Times article from a few years ago said Ural sold 650 bikes per year into the US: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/world ... decar.html If you check the Ural main website, you'll notice the US distributor is also the Canadian and Australian distributor. Projected 2011 production worldwide 1,100 units.

If you're wondering about quality control and why it really depends on the mood of the worker, when my bike was built in 2000, almost everything from the bolts and wiring was made in the factory: https://rideapart.com/articles/the-fact ... s-are-made

This isn't a Honda. It's a handbuilt bespoke motorcycle, a continuation of production, with minor tweaks, of a pre-World War II bike.
2018 Gear Up 825cc
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

rivers

Post by rivers » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:15 pm

Aufgeblassen wrote:
wooden nickel wrote:
For the most part I agree with this, but Urals are a low volume almost hand made bike and you are very much at the mercy of the particular assembler you get and how they felt that day.
Really? Even though they are sold WORLDWIDE??? :(
Yup. Sold worldwide but not in any remotely great volume. The US is the largest market segment which is only good for about 600-1000 units/year. IMHO IMZ's problem isn't the workers, it's the metallurgy dept, if they even have one?
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:19 pm

Yes.

Well 50k miles will probably outlast me anyway. :D

New one means you get all the latest gadgets and improvements. Also, everything is new and unmolested, which is always a refreshing change to buying second hand.

Can't possibly be worse than some of the heaps I've had in the past so I'm quite optimistic.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:42 pm

Eric N wrote:If you check the Ural main website, you'll notice the US distributor is also the Canadian and Australian distributor. Projected 2011 production worldwide 1,100 units.
It's quite possible I've snaffled the last 2016 cT in England, as Euro 3 compliant. All dealers in Europe are waiting for the 2017 models to pass Euro 4 before they can get hold of any.

Recently five, righthand drive, 2016 units arrived at the Austria distribution centre that serves Europe and South Africa. My dealer saw what was available and thought right so I know what I can get hold of. Next thing, they're all sold. He phones up the only other Ural dealer we've got in England, who says "no wasn't me, I thought it was you." He concludes therefore it must be South Africa, where they also drive on the left. Apparently rich farmers like to buy them just to ride around on their lands.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")