Did It

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
bgenest
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Did It

Post by bgenest » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:39 am

Hey All,

I've been lurking here for a few months to do some research on Ural's to see if it was the bike I want to ride off into the sunset on. Also, to see how the guys & gals treat each other, some sites can get real nasty but this seems like a friendly and helpful group. From what the members have posted, the help and support you give each other I figured, what the hell, if I am going to jump in this would be the group I want standing on the sidelines to help support this endeavor, I will try not to make a fool of myself.

So I did it yesterday, dropped the hammer and bought a new bike. As a retirement (7 months away) present to myself I bought a 2015 Patrol (burgundy) from URALNE. It was a good experience, everyone I worked with at URALNE was knowledgeable and friendly, it made the decision to purchase much easier, they are only 45 minutes away and they gave me a free T shirt!

I've been riding since the sixties (old days) and still have three other bikes, which I will sell this spring, a 2003 Suzuki Volusia, 2006 Aprilia Sacarabeo 500 and a china scoot for around the camp. I had a total shoulder replacement last year and it is starting to get difficult to ride and hold up the heavier bikes.

I have absolutely no experience with a sidecar rig so this is going to be interesting. I am going to have to learn all over again and that's okay with me. I just got a copy of the Yellow Book and will start practicing once the weather improves, my older bones can no longer take the cold. I will also sign up for a three wheeler course.

Thanks for reading this and I look forward to learning to ride again. Hello from the Boston area.
Last edited by bgenest on Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Burgundy Patrol "Stickee Monkee"

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: Did It

Post by Subsnowden » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:55 am

Congratulations! I am picking up my brand new 2015 Gear Up in a matter of hours today. Much like you I have no experience with a sidecar rig so it will be very interesting for me as well. Luckily my buddy has a huge parking lot at his shop that I will be practicing and doing drills in. I found everyone on here to be very welcoming and nice too. I can't wait to meet some of the guys at our local rally coming up soon
Jon
Nomad
2015 Ural Gear Up

biker
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by biker » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:56 am

Welcome and congrats. Forum riles are post pictures of the rig or it didn't happen :) Would suggest you post your location as well which I assume is fairly close to Boxboro. :)
Allan aka Biker
2008 Ural Patrol white
2008 Ural Patrol black
1994 Suzuki GN125E
2 Harleys 2002-2003

bgenest

Post by bgenest » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:01 am

Where do I find the instructions on inserting a photo in to a posting? Because it did happen.

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Kilometers2 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:06 am

Congratulations to you both. Go easy on the break in period, don't expect to win races initially, well ok, just don't EVER expect to win races, but welcome to the most fun you can have on a bike. PICS....and snow is never an excuse to not get pics if you have a Ural.

:P
Miles aka Kilometers

Uralless for 3 years and regretting it the last 2 years I have owned a Doberman. Thinking of coming back rather than hacking the Harley...there is just something about Urals, this forum, and the 2WD I used infrequently while camping.....

Formerly owned 2007 GU, 2014 Patrol, and 2016 GU

Lee Pape
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Lee Pape » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:14 am

bgenest wrote:Where do I find the instructions on inserting a photo in to a posting? Because it did happen.
The best way is if you have a photo sharing account somewhere (photobucket, smugmug, snapfish and the like) (most are free until you save too many photos), then you just copy and paste the link to the photo into you post. This save you from resizing the photo to fit this site and also saves the amount of server space that we keep running out of.

The other way is there is a button right below the box where you type your post labeled Attachments. Click that and then click the button that says Add files. Using this method you may need to resize your photos before you can post them.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:48 am

Welcome to both new riders. If you don't already own the "Yellow Book", an excellent instruction on how to ride a rig, Ural offers their version which is nearly a direct copy:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/UralManuals/HowToRideUral.pdf

Have fun.. Break it in slowly and she'll give you years of minimal (can never say "never") trouble. :)

Looking forward to reading about your future adventures. :cheers:
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:10 am

That's great and congrats to you. A good friend of mine just had the same shoulder replacement surgery and told me the absolute full recovery with physical therapy was up to a year. Good thing you are at or past that point because unlike your 2 wheelers your shoulders and upper body will be used in a way that you never did before. For me and if I have not ridden for awhile I can describe it as a "good ache" when riding hard. But of course just taking it easy especially at first is the best advice. Don't get yourself onto any super-slabs for as long as you can even though your rig will be ok on them.

One other thing since you mentioned that you'll be selling off your other bikes... if you have the room you might want to keep at least one of your 2-wheelers. Even if the Ural ends up being your "go to" bike of choice as it is for many here you might want to jump on and head out on 2 wheels from time-to-time. I know I'd miss conventional riding if I didn't have another real motorcycle. Again congrats and take it slow.
Last edited by stagewex on Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:15 am

Welcome to the insanity!!!!!
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

4Paws
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Greensboro NC or milepost 199 on the BRP (Fancy Gap VA)

Post by 4Paws » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:32 am

A Ural and retiring! Perfect.
Dan
2012 Retro,Honda CB1100, CB500X,Can-Am Spyder (wife's, honest!)
Best thing I've learned from my dog: "never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride"

rougaroo

Post by rougaroo » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:00 pm

Look forward to your trip pictures!

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

bgenest

Post by bgenest » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:14 pm

Thanks for the welcoming everyone. Can't wait for the temperature to start climbing. I will open a photobucket account and post a pic or two.

stagewex,

The shoulder thing is working out. Not having the 24/7 shoulder pain anymore is a blessing and the bicep cramping is happening less and less, so I am improving. When the surgeon found out I ride bikes he said "stop it, if you fall onto that shoulder and it breaks you are done for, there will be no way to rebuild it". I told him I could break the shoulder by slipping in the snow and there is no way I was going to stop riding. Not until I can't lift my leg over the bike and if that happens I will get the GF to lift the leg for me (she lifts everything else so what the heck)!

As for the bikes I need to sell the suzuki and aprilia because I live in an urban area and I have no place to garage them. The parking around here starts at $150-$200 month and that is for an outside space!. I will keep the china scoot for the camp in Maine but when I retire I'm moving to some area that is less congested and the new place must have a garage.

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:49 pm

hey welcome. where outside of boston????? there is a new rider that joined a couple of months ago who is out in Ayer. I know that area. Was stationed at Ft Devens back in the early 90's.

bgenest

Post by bgenest » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:28 pm

WEGUNTER,

I live in Brookline, surrounded by Beantown on three sides. I plan on signing up for the mc sidecar course and it is held in Ayer off Rt. 2A.

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:10 am

New Ural + Scooter + Retirement = a very nice take-it-easy motoring combination. Especially when you throw-in your fixed shoulder.

Enjoy.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.