Notifications for old posts

If you are having a problem with the forums, try clicking on the "FAQ" link at the top of the page first. If that doesn't work, stop in here for help. Suggestions for site improvement are welcomed. For the love of Lennin, if you have a tech question about your rig, put it in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section below, not here.
Forum rules
This is the place to report problems with the forums, ask for help with the fourms and test posts. Techincal Support for Ural and Dnepr motorcycles is in the Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
Bilgekeeldave
Commissar
Commissar

Notifications for old posts

Post by Bilgekeeldave » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:29 pm

This morning I had four notifications that I was quoted in posts that were months and years old, what's going on?
Dave

RAMCO-Dnepr MT-16

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Notifications for old posts

Post by dneprlover » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:58 pm

Bilgekeeldave wrote:This morning I had four notifications that I was quoted in posts that were months and years old, what's going on?
ME. Deleting or reducing posts prior to leaving forum. Just cleaning up.
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m and an MB750 with locking diff.

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:36 pm

dneprlover wrote: ME. Deleting or reducing posts prior to leaving forum. Just cleaning up.
That seems odd to me...all of my posts live on, in-perpetuity, in all of the many forums I have posted in over 20 something years...and I love that they will, in theory, outlive me.

A screen-based form of 'immortality' and I like that idea...a lot.

Still not sure on whether I want my many youtube videos to remain online after my passing. That one I am still debating.

But either way works for me as far as cleaning up and deleting posts...however, it might break some thread continuity in places...

I wonder it there is a board policy here about reclaiming articles and posts as one leaves?

:?:
Current Ural: 2013 Ural Solo sT

Previous Ural: 2013 Ural Patrol

Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:55 pm

I was intrigued by a news item a few weeks ago, what happens to your Internet 'footprint' after you die? I assumed well, it just stays there, unless lost by accident, sites shut down, whatever, but apparently there are companies that can be hired to 'tidy up'. :?
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:30 am

Do you mean tidying up as one "leaves" the/this forum or "leaves this world"?
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250
2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

Daytripper

Post by Daytripper » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:52 am

Tidy Up, I'm going to be cremated, and ashes spread. So my footprint is my Legacy. :lol: :foilhead:
:fart:
Mike
2014 Gear Up Мила (Mila)

:moto:

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:39 am

Mr Wazzock wrote:I was intrigued by a news item a few weeks ago, what happens to your Internet 'footprint' after you die? I assumed well, it just stays there, unless lost by accident, sites shut down, whatever, but apparently there are companies that can be hired to 'tidy up'. :?
Some of the social media websites have settings you can activate to help deal with that issue after you are gone.

Many of them can be setup to email you if they dont see that you have logged in after a certain amount of time, lets say, 3 months.

If you dont respond to several emails within say another 3 months, then the account goes dormant. After another say, 6 months, then it is either deleted or put into archival mode, depending on your preference when you set it up.

Obviously, if a trusted family member has all your passwords, then you would expect them to handle all the details as time and emotional situation permit.

In my case, as far as interest-based forums are concerned, I treat them as if they are letters to the editor in a magazine or newspaper...my submissions will live on, in print, long after my death, and I expressly give permission for the forum administrators to keep them forever, or longer! :thumbsup:

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:58 am

One thing that aggravates me is some social websites have no provision to automatically deal with a dormant account if you did not set it up before you passed on.

Case in point: One of my best friends died a few years ago and yet his twitter account it still active....you can 'follow' him as if he might actually tweet something new....but it would be from the grave or the afterlife if that happened. And it shows that he is still 'following' me...

Well...it is interesting to go thru some of the forums that he used to post in, mainly Ford and Dodge automobile forums, and occasionally in a motorcycle forum now and then. Brings back memories of the times we spent together. So yeah, archived forum posts do have value, even if only to a family member or freind who might enjoy seeing what you had to say, 'way back then'...

Dusty, my best friend, posted his last tweet, right after he found out he was dying and would not be able to recover...it read:
last-tweet.JPG
He died two months later.

:(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.