First gen EFI engine cut-off and runs again

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Higgins30

First gen EFI engine cut-off and runs again

Post by Higgins30 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:47 pm

Hi folks, I wanted to share an issue i had just after a complete 50.000 km check. Sorry for my english I write from France ๐Ÿ˜‰
The rig is a 2015 Sportsman a second hand purchased at 30.000 km in summer 2021 mostly ridden by my wife as I ride my MT10-36.
I will not list the work done during the inspection this is not relevant for the issue.
The attached picture will give you an idea.
During the first test ride I encountered a very short MIL flash and a very short engine cutout then the rig ran back perfectly.
On the next rides this short cutoff came more and more often.
I checked all connexions around TB's , headlight, fusebox I shaked the loom all around to make this happen at iddle but nothing.
I finaly found the solution on this forum as it was a faulty TB's ground wire on top of the engine.
I did not succeed to light on the MIL but I could hear variation in fuel pump noise when shaking the ground wire.
I replaced the wire terminal without conviction but that was effectively the issue. No visible corrosion, a real Ural gremlin ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Thanks again to the soviet steeds forum and his members especialy @phugues.
You saved me a lot of time ๐Ÿ‘โœŒ๏ธ
Laurent
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lofty
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: First gen EFI engine cut-off and runs again

Post by Lofty » Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:58 pm

Thank you for the intel, Laurent. Glad to read that you got things sorted.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

phughes
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: First gen EFI engine cut-off and runs again

Post by phughes » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:50 pm

Higgins30 wrote: โ†‘
Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:47 pm
Hi folks, I wanted to share an issue i had just after a complete 50.000 km check. Sorry for my english I write from France ๐Ÿ˜‰
The rig is a 2015 Sportsman a second hand purchased at 30.000 km in summer 2021 mostly ridden by my wife as I ride my MT10-36.
I will not list the work done during the inspection this is not relevant for the issue.
The attached picture will give you an idea.
During the first test ride I encountered a very short MIL flash and a very short engine cutout then the rig ran back perfectly.
On the next rides this short cutoff came more and more often.
I checked all connexions around TB's , headlight, fusebox I shaked the loom all around to make this happen at iddle but nothing.
I finaly found the solution on this forum as it was a faulty TB's ground wire on top of the engine.
I did not succeed to light on the MIL but I could hear variation in fuel pump noise when shaking the ground wire.
I replaced the wire terminal without conviction but that was effectively the issue. No visible corrosion, a real Ural gremlin ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Thanks again to the soviet steeds forum and his members especialy @phugues.
You saved me a lot of time ๐Ÿ‘โœŒ๏ธ
Laurent
Glad I could help, and glad you found the gremilin.
Phil

-------------------------------------------
2014 Gear Up
2009 Kawasaki Concours
Schwinn 24 inch Unicycle :mrgreen: