Trans and Rear oil Choices

Start oil threads here so they can be ignored and/or ridiculed by most of us (except for those hardcore few that live for that kinda stuff).
Forum rules
Here's the place for you to debate what oil is best. Post your oil related topics her so we don't clutter up the other sections. Most people avoid oil threads like the plague.
RC20
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:59 am
Location: Anchorage AK

Re: Trans and Rear oil Choices

Post by RC20 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:35 pm

Let me tell you a story of regular oil.

-40 below, Bronco sat for a week or so, got laid off, started ok, would not move. Had to put it in low range and rock it, finally broke her free.

I knew it was low on oil but once started wanted to keep moving so ran out of town and got her all warmed up.

Got out my spare can of oil, opened it up. 10 minutes latter you could see a gollup starting to form, figured it would only take 2 hours for it to go into the engine. Now it was a lot warmer up on Chena ridge where I was but .....

So, I figured, lets put the oil under the heater, run 20 miles or so and try again.

Dang, flowed like, well oil.

Synthetic oil does flow easier in cold temps and it starts to show at 40 degrees. Worst wear on the engine is the start. Any oil that flows easier is vastly better than one that does not. Cycle batteries are marginal to start (pun) with. All good and you can run it longer. 10k in our Diesel VW.
100k estimated cycle driving:

Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Switchgear/ Generators/Fire Pumps/Computer Controlled Building Systems

User avatar
chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:58 am
Location: sw ohio

Re: Trans and Rear oil Choices

Post by chaos2 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:42 pm

that has been my experience, even with the same weight oils synthetic flows easier at low temps. I figured that out back in my limey car days, maybe things have changed.
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 rusty GU and a 87 K75s with 200k miles both bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Urtigeral
New Member
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 9:28 pm

Re: Trans and Rear oil Choices

Post by Urtigeral » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:55 pm

I went from Mobil 1 20-50 full synthetic in the gearbox to Redline Lightweight shockproof (bought the wrong one) to redline heavyweight shockproof.

The lightweight shockproof didn’t feel any different to me than the Mobil 1. The Heavyweight shockproof does—it’s still a Ural gearbox but it does feel like there’s a slight cushion when shifting now. I like it.

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 4045
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Trans and Rear oil Choices

Post by hotflash44 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:04 pm

Urtigeral wrote:I went from Mobil 1 20-50 full synthetic in the gearbox to Redline Lightweight shockproof (bought the wrong one) to redline heavyweight shockproof.

The lightweight shockproof didn’t feel any different to me than the Mobil 1. The Heavyweight shockproof does—it’s still a Ural gearbox but it does feel like there’s a slight cushion when shifting now. I like it.
i agree, i use redline 20w60 in engine and hd shock proof in the other two,all good so far. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

User avatar
hillbillybob
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:08 am
Location: Livingston County, New York

Re: Trans and Rear oil Choices

Post by hillbillybob » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:02 am

Purchased my 06 three years ago, with only 40 kilometers on it. Since that time, it has had nothing but a conventional 80w/90 gear oil in the tranny. Odometer now reads just over 9,200 km, and 95% of the time, I can shift from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 4th, with no grinding, clashing, clunking, clicking, or any other sort of noise. The other 5%.... my timing is off a bit. As the kilometers add up, my high quality Russian gears are wearing in nicely. Will continue using the Valvoline gear lube.

Down shifting is a different story, but I'll continue to work on it.
Current Rides:
2006 Ural Troyka "Boris"
2000 BMW R1200C "Schultz"
1999 BMW R1200C "Dooley"
2011 Chinese 150cc Scooter "Johnny" (15,221 breakdown free miles)
Image

Post Reply