Final drive oil

Start oil threads here so they can be ignored and/or ridiculed by most of us (except for those hardcore few that live for that kinda stuff).
Forum rules
Here's the place for you to debate what oil is best. Post your oil related topics her so we don't clutter up the other sections. Most people avoid oil threads like the plague.
chiz44
Comrade
Comrade

Final drive oil

Post by chiz44 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:31 pm

I've looked around a lot here and I can't find an answer or opinion. Can I use 85W-140 gear oil in the final drive? I have some "motorcycle specific" gear oil here and would like to use it in the Ural. It came from a Moto Guzzi dealer for use in their final drive. Just don't want to mess it up.
Thanks!
2013 Ural T

vetsurginc
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: final drive oil

Post by vetsurginc » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:18 am

Spec calls for 90w so it should be fine.
Doug
2011 GearUp Vasily (Васи́лий) Main 125, idle 38, Raceway needles, and stock exhaust, MKIII air filter
2010 R1200RT Gustav

Norm
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Norm » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:56 am

The Owners Manual specifies 80/90 gear oil, & I prefer to use fully synthetic oil in the final drive.
Norm; Adelaide, South Australia
2009 Ural Tourist "Speedboat"
2010 Ural Tourist "Squib"
2004 Bonneville America

GillaFunk
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by GillaFunk » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:21 am

OP needs to utilize Google
Sgt. USMC 0311, 8156

2011 Gear-Up "سميرة" (Samira). Gone, it not forgotten

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:17 am

I have used SYNTHETIC in the FD & Transmissions of my 3 Russian rigs & all my BMW airheads. only problem I ever had was overfilling my first Ural FD due to bad info in the MANUAL. what a mess - it got into my brake drum.
Careful not to use to much. I measure it out in little medicine cups first.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

chiz44
Comrade
Comrade

Post by chiz44 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:03 pm

I did utilize google....and it really isn't very helpful at all for Ural applications. I am asking as to the specific weight of the oil. Sorry if I was using this website and forum incorrectly. I just figured since we are all kind of in the same boat here, and the rest of google is not, I assumed I could maybe get opinions of someone who may have some experience with it. I didn't mean to interrupt your day.
2013 Ural T

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:12 pm

I'm going back to Valvoline 80-90. Been using Redline but not sure it helps. One thing in the manual it says when changing oil to first FILL the housing with 20-50 and spin the wheel a couple times. I read that as fill to the top of the fill plug. I'm thinking this gets overlooked often and there may be a reason for it, flushing out the nooks and crannies that do not normally get much oil, maybe? And on a personal note, instead of suggesting someone use a search engine I try to provide a relevant link if I bother to reply. But that's just me.
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

chiz44
Comrade
Comrade

Post by chiz44 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:21 pm

Thanks for the advice chaos2...I'll probably try the fill and spin method when I finally change it. Kind of makes sense as to getting towards the top of the case? And when I'm done, I will avoid overfilling it for fear of having it vent out and making a mess.
2013 Ural T

rivers

Post by rivers » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:50 pm

Kinda overkill ($$$ wise) but yeah you can run it w/o harm. That grade syn gear lube has a higher heat/temp tolerance and is generally recommended for pickups/cars doing a lot of hwy towing. If you get a stash free or very cheap...run it. If you're buying gear lube at retail 90w dino gear lube will be all you need for a Ural FD. I'd be more concerned with is the "brand" a quality trusted manufacturer? Moto Guzzi doesn't refine their own oil so the fact that MG sells it is irrelevant. Only other concern is that it's NOT an EP(high pressure)rated gear lube. Bad juju for yellow metal bits. Just cause visc numbers are bigger doesn't mean it's better for your application. If it's a quality brand non-EP lube, it'll work fine.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

chiz44
Comrade
Comrade

Post by chiz44 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:58 pm

Yeah, I read a lot about the yellow metal possible problems before I asked my question, while I searched all over this forum and others. So I will have to verify that it isn't EP rated. I did get the oil for free since a buddy sold his Moto Guzzi and gave me the gear oil. Not looking to save or waste money here. It is Agip brand, not MG brand, so i know it is a very respectable brand...just was wondering about the difference in weight.
2013 Ural T

Snakeoil

Post by Snakeoil » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:41 pm

GL4 (and not GL5 meant to replace GL4) gear oil is designed to play nice with yellow metals. But it is hard to find. NAPA carries it. The discussion regaring using GL5 in gear trains with yellow metal parts is not unlike an oil thread. You will never get consensus. Where it supposedly is a real problem with with synchros in automotive applications. We don't have that issue. Yellow metal is normally in the form of bushing or thrust bearings.

I'm not defending or berating anyone here. But I think you could have been referred to a search engine in a friendlier way.

The search engine here would have been a good path to take. Because as I'm sure you can imagine, basic questions like this get asked repeatedly and the answers are normally in mutiple threads on the site. I normally try to do a search on a forum before I ask questions that are spec related. The upside of doing that is I normally find other tidbits of info that might not have been included in an answer to a question I would have posed. Just something to consider down the road.

One tip for your FD oil is change it often. There is a very small amount of oil in that FD so refreshing it is cheap insurance.

As for how to measure, I'm a big fan of large animal syringes. You can find them at TSC, Agway and farm stores. They are big plastic syringes and often come 2 to a pack. Very accurate way to measure small quanities of oil. My favorite tool for refilling hydraulic forks. Only caution is remove the plunger and seal and w@$# the seal in dish detergent when done because the rubber seal is not oil friendly. Actually w@$#ing all the syringe parts is the way to go. If you don't w@$# the seal, it will swell up and render the syringe useless.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:00 pm

Flush and fill, never heard of that before, but it makes complete sense. Tribal lore is great stuff!

I've mentioned this search technique before, one more time won't hurt. It's good for virtually any website, I even use it searching the large corporation's technical library where I'm working.

AS AN EXAMPLE: type the following in the google, bing, etc. search engine NOT the website's own search engine (as above right here)

site:sovietsteeds.com final drive oil

phonetically- site colon (no space) sovietsteeds.com space final drive, etc,

add as many key words as you like; comas between key words helps. If you're re looking for a post by a specific member, type their username at the end, etc.

here's a typical result > https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... 8&oe=utf-8
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

rivers

Post by rivers » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:22 pm

Snakeoil wrote:
One tip for your FD oil is change it often. There is a very small amount of oil in that FD so refreshing it is cheap insurance.

As for how to measure, I'm a big fan of large animal syringes. You can find them at TSC, Agway and farm stores. They are big plastic syringes and often come 2 to a pack. Very accurate way to measure small quanities of oil. My favorite tool for refilling hydraulic forks. Only caution is remove the plunger and seal and w@$# the seal in dish detergent when done because the rubber seal is not oil friendly. Actually w@$#ing all the syringe parts is the way to go. If you don't w@$# the seal, it will swell up and render the syringe useless.
Sorry for the thread tweak but agree about the vets lg animal syringes. Most are 60 cc/ml size and cheap. I get'm from a local vet clinic. Brand new $2 a pop. Another $1.50 if you need a needle. You won't but the needle is a slick tool if you need to sneak some lube in or behind a seal. I also agree with w@$#ing off any petroleum lube when done. Very handy cheap tool. :thumbsup:
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Snakeoil

Post by Snakeoil » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:33 pm

Tweaks are what make things better, right?

The ones I am talking about do not take a needle. I think they are for measuring meds and such that go into feed. They are like the little Mono-jets syringes that dentists use only with a scale on them and MUCH bigger.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

chiz44
Comrade
Comrade

Post by chiz44 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:02 pm

snakeoil, thanks for the suggestion of the larger syringe, I will definitely find one to use, it sounds quite handy to have! And just to reiterate, I did do several searches, on this website, as well as others, and even google, but was unable to find an answer to my original question. Other than someone in a thread saying that they've heard of some guys on here using the 85W-140 without problem...just was kind of looking to hear from one of them or someone else who actually has used it. I did learn about the yellow metal problem while doing that search! I love learning the other bits as well! Again, thanks for all the help.
2013 Ural T