The Great Deep Sump Debate!

Start oil threads here so they can be ignored and/or ridiculed by most of us (except for those hardcore few that live for that kinda stuff).
Forum rules
Here's the place for you to debate what oil is best. Post your oil related topics her so we don't clutter up the other sections. Most people avoid oil threads like the plague.
User avatar
greenmachine
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:04 am
Location: Gold Canyon, AZ for winter

Re: The Great Deep Sump Debate!

Post by greenmachine » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:52 pm

Ken , my friend, ...... you are more full o' crap than a christmas goose....


:D :D :D :boogie:

kermitski
of the muggy northlands
Russian biker has-been....
Rode around the block a couple times
and got rid of the goofy thing...
:-))

User avatar
Bilgekeeldave
Commissar
Commissar
Posts: 3596
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:04 pm
Location: Western Washington

Re: The Great Deep Sump Debate!

Post by Bilgekeeldave » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:47 pm

Ok, now ya gotta say why you think he's fulla crap! :D

Dave
Dave

RAMCO-Dnepr MT-16

User avatar
TerryG
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Posts: 1455
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:09 pm
Location: NPR, FL

Re:

Post by TerryG » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:04 pm

greenmachine wrote:Deep sump threads are always good fun....

I would like to see a modification that would install maybe 3 " blast tubes" all the way through the deep sump end to end.... allowing cooling air to flow directly through the oil volume if the front plugs are opened...and not allowing any air flow if the plugs are closed during colder weather.
This would take up some of the "extra" oil volume but would make up for it with actual cooling of the oil volume. This probably would be a good thing and possibly worth the loss of the ground clearance, maybe.

kermitski
FWIW: Here is a pic of the Briel sump plate/cooler for the /6 BMWs. It came with an oil pump extension too. I traded it to Bural a couple of months ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Terry

2011 Retro
2000 Bavarian Classic (Gone but never forgotten)

Stormtrooper
Comrade General
Comrade General
Posts: 611
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: Re:

Post by Stormtrooper » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:34 pm

TerryG wrote:
greenmachine wrote:Deep sump threads are always good fun....

I would like to see a modification that would install maybe 3 " blast tubes" all the way through the deep sump end to end.... allowing cooling air to flow directly through the oil volume if the front plugs are opened...and not allowing any air flow if the plugs are closed during colder weather.
This would take up some of the "extra" oil volume but would make up for it with actual cooling of the oil volume. This probably would be a good thing and possibly worth the loss of the ground clearance, maybe.

kermitski
FWIW: Here is a pic of the Briel sump plate/cooler for the /6 BMWs. It came with an oil pump extension too. I traded it to Bural a couple of months ago.
This is very much like the one I had installed on my turbo charged BMW.The lower RS fairing scoop was reworked so the air was directed to the three holes,with the intention of forcing the air through faster.Bike never melted down but rather lost it's sidecar wheel at 60 due to a missing/improperly done weld on the sidecar swingarm built by Motorvation Sidecars. :( My daughter was in the bike and has never ridden since.(2006)
2009 "Stormtrooper" Patrol
It's hard to justify buying a Ural,but even harder to justify selling one you own.

User avatar
bikerjack181
New Member
New Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Oakland, New Jersey

Re: The Great Deep Sump Debate!

Post by bikerjack181 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:48 pm

Would it be just as easy to add an oil cooler to the rig to help with high temps? Has anyone tried this with any degree of success :?:
**bikerjack**
Honda Valkyrie
H-D Custom Bobber
Ural Gear Up
Jeep
Land Rover

User avatar
markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:25 am
Location: Whiskysconsin

Re: The Great Deep Sump Debate!

Post by markhas » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:30 pm

I've never experienced "High Temperatures" on the engine. I've ridden in 125F for 8 hours through Nevada, rode for week in those temps in North Vegas on a daily basis, in traffic, at stop lights, in bumper to bumper traffic, stop and go. but never had a problem...

How many Foilisestas have ever had a problem with high temperatures other than their own hide???
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin
06' Tourist 41167/over 75,000Km, 91" 750 Honda Nighthawk sold to my buddy Ernie, we keep in touch.

User avatar
mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 7302
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:28 pm
Location: Granite Falls, WA, 98223, USA
Contact:

Re: The Great Deep Sump Debate!

Post by mr. cob » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:41 pm

Howdy All,

And now we have AGAIN, come full circle. I just don't understand why so many are so intent on solving a problem that doesn't exist. The Ural doesn't need a deep sump and doesn't have enough oil pressure to make an oil cooler effective, spend your money on gas and just ride the damned things. :cheers:
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

User avatar
cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 11290
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Re: The Great Deep Sump Debate!

Post by cdscoot » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:35 pm

Yea! We soulda been buying cob's skid plates instead a some stupid deep sump!
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

User avatar
mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 7302
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:28 pm
Location: Granite Falls, WA, 98223, USA
Contact:

Re: The Great Deep Sump Debate!

Post by mr. cob » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:38 pm

cdscoot wrote:Yea! We soulda been buying cob's skid plates instead a some stupid deep sump!
Howdy cdscoot,

Well.................at least the "Cob all STEEL skid plate" had a worth while and proven purpose. :wink:
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

User avatar
propwash
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Posts: 1676
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:45 pm

Re: The Great Deep Sump Debate!

Post by propwash » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:30 pm

Another 100 deg day here. Rode at 80% power for extended stretch. Never exceeded 170 deg F oil temp. Standard oil pan and a Dnepr to boot!
If you carrying more oil in cooler temps (betting most ride more cooler days than 90+ days), taking longer to get the oil to op temp, probably doing more harm than perceived good...

User avatar
cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 11290
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Re: The Great Deep Sump Debate!

Post by cdscoot » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:42 pm

mr. cob wrote:
cdscoot wrote:Yea! We soulda been buying cob's skid plates instead a some stupid deep sump!
Howdy cdscoot,

Well.................at least the "Cob all STEEL skid plate" had a worth while and proven purpose. :wink:
I agree! Too bad there was not a kit or something so we could still get em! :lol:
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

User avatar
JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary
Posts: 15726
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:12 pm
Location: Deltona, FL & Franklin, NC USA
Contact:

Re: The Great Deep Sump Debate!

Post by JohnBG » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:18 pm

mr. cob wrote:Howdy All,

And now we have AGAIN, come full circle. I just don't understand why so many are so intent on solving a problem that doesn't exist. The Ural doesn't need a deep sump and doesn't have enough oil pressure to make an oil cooler effective, spend your money on gas and just ride the damned things. :cheers:
But I like having my deep sump. It makes me sleep better at night... :lol:
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

User avatar
mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 7302
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:28 pm
Location: Granite Falls, WA, 98223, USA
Contact:

Re: The Great Deep Sump Debate!

Post by mr. cob » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:24 pm

JohnBG wrote:
mr. cob wrote:Howdy All,

And now we have AGAIN, come full circle. I just don't understand why so many are so intent on solving a problem that doesn't exist. The Ural doesn't need a deep sump and doesn't have enough oil pressure to make an oil cooler effective, spend your money on gas and just ride the damned things. :cheers:
But I like having my deep sump. It makes me sleep better at night... :lol:
Howdy John,

Go to bed, dream about riding in Florida sugar sand, the NIGHTMARE begins when your deep sump slams into a BIG hidden rock buried in the sand. Nighty night. :lol:
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

User avatar
JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary
Posts: 15726
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:12 pm
Location: Deltona, FL & Franklin, NC USA
Contact:

Re: The Great Deep Sump Debate!

Post by JohnBG » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:25 pm

mr. cob wrote:
JohnBG wrote:
mr. cob wrote:Howdy All,

And now we have AGAIN, come full circle. I just don't understand why so many are so intent on solving a problem that doesn't exist. The Ural doesn't need a deep sump and doesn't have enough oil pressure to make an oil cooler effective, spend your money on gas and just ride the damned things. :cheers:
But I like having my deep sump. It makes me sleep better at night... :lol:
Howdy John,

Go to bed, dream about riding in Florida sugar sand, the NIGHTMARE begins when your deep sump slams into a BIG hidden rock buried in the sand. Nighty night. :lol:
We don't have rocks in Florida. But I have torn up a tree root or two with it. Good Russian steel! :lol:
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

donlineman
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:25 pm
Location: Lake Jackson Texas

Re: The Great Deep Sump Debate!

Post by donlineman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:30 am

There were too many replies for me to read all of them, but the ones I did read seemed to miss two important points.

The first one is that we buy these things for a hobby. We like to screw with them. Whether or not it makes a big difference seems to me to be missing the point. We like to change things. If it really makes a big difference seems to me to be beside the point. The point is that we got to screw with our hobby a little. That makes it worth the money. My brother has bought a new bass boat. There was nothing wrong with the old one. He has added fish finders, sonar and a bunch of other garbage. Are they absolutely necessary? Probably not. Every fish he catches probably costs him several hunded dollars. So what? It's a hobby. He's happy.

Next point. I read posts from folks pontificating all the reasons that adding additional oil makes no difference. I have no idea. I'm not an expert on such a thing. All I know is that traditionally cars took five quarts of oil. My dodge magnum takes seven quarts. Wonder why? My Porsche takes ten quarts. The Porsche will run all day at 170 mph. I don't know that much about oil but I wouldn't want to try it without all the oil the real experts tell me to keep in it. I just bought a Retro. It may strike me at some time in the future to add a deep sump. Does it need it? Possibly not. I say it doesn't matter. It's my new hobby. I need to mess with it. So long as I'm not doing any harm, why not? I've had lot of hobby bikes in the past. As soon as i changed something I was looking for something else to change. Thats why it's a hobby. A deep pit to pour money into. Costs less than a girlfriend.
Don
2005 Wolf
2007 Retro
Lake Jackson Texas

My wife is a sex object - every time I ask for sex, she objects.

Post Reply