Ignition filter

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Lmo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Ignition filter

Post by Lmo » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:03 pm

"Milton Berle of Soviet Steeds"
HaHaHa, who/how many folks are actually going to get that? Too funny.
I had to google it myself.. . . 8)

I had a "Harley" Sprint 350 for about two months; I liked the feel of that old thumper. I was working at the local Honda shop at the time (my first job) so I sold it and bought a used Honda CB77, aka Super Hawk, aka Black Bomber that had been traded in. Pf.ftt ... wish I had that old scooter right now; easily worth more than my R75/5.

Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:57 pm

I hear ya Lew.
Sold this old un-restored beauty a few years ago. 1966 CA95 (150cc) "Baby Dream".
No regrets but every once an awhile it would be nice to take it for a spin. The market is very good for anything unrestored stock Japanese from the '60's & '70's.
Dead on reliable still and why they put almost everyone else out of business.

This engine was frozen when I got it. Discovered "Kroil" from someone on this (SS) site.
IMG_4512.JPG

Even the neutral light worked which at the time didn't on my Patrol, Haha.
IMG_3311.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:38 pm

That is a gorgeous Superhawk. I still lust for one of those. I have the little brother, a CB160 and the cousin, a CL77.

Not to be picky, but the Black Bomber was not the Superhawk. It was the original CB450.

That Superhawk was about the closest thing to an off the floor factory road racer at the time.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:07 pm

I stand EDIT corrected Rob, you are correct. And that was a 'stock' photo ripped from the internet, BTW.
Dead on reliable still
... except for those pesky Phillips panhead screws that cammed out if you didn't use an impact driver on them(mine was a 'Vessel'). And the valve tappet covers that consistently rounded out if you forgot to give them a snack with a plastic hammer before you tried to loosen them. I remember the parts department manager always kept a good supply of them in the bin.
Last edited by Lmo on Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:00 pm

Damn, Uncle Miltie, you be stealin' stuff all over the place. :wink:

I want to say, but am not 100% sure that those "Philips" head screws were not true Phillips heads. I think they were some Japanese version or perhaps Reed & Prince. I think all of us that grew up with the Japanese invasion of the 60's have rounded out more of those screws than we care to admit. I bought my first impact driver from JC Whitney using their catalog and a clipped out ordering form. I still have it and it still works great.

We had a contingent of Japanese riders at the Motogiro in years past that rode pristine Superhawks. I always cringed when I thought about those jewels going down some of the muddy and pothole riddled dirt roads that are always sprinkled into the giros.

My CL77 (305 Scrambler) is still one of my favorite bikes to ride. I'm planning on pulling the engine this year and crossing 2nd and 3rd gears, a common mod, to make for a better 4 speed. There was a guy on the 305 forum that was selling drop-in 5 speeds. He wanted one and the price for making one was the same as making 5, so he ordered 5. He put two in his bikes and sold another one or two. He had one left and told me I'd never ride any other bike after installing it. I thought that was a bit of an overstatement and at $1500 for the gearset, decided to pass.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Lee Pape
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Lee Pape » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:20 am

JIS was and still is the Japanese standard or the American nightmare. Here is an article on JIS screws.
https://www.motorcycle.com/ask-mo-anyth ... llips.html

When I was working when a employer would by a new mill or lathe it would come with a tool box if it was made in Japan. Most of the time the tool box would be either placed on some dark and dust shelf or just thrown out because it was just a bunch of "junk tools". In the tool box would be a wooden handled screwdriver along with assorted wrenches and a little can of touch up paint. When I would spot one of theses tool boxes full of "junk tools" sitting covered in dust or in the garbage can I would open it and take inventory. If it had one of these wooden handled screwdrivers in it I would grab it. I knew that it was a JIS screwdriver. Many a time I would had one to some ham handed maintenance man fighting with screws on an piece of equipment I would hand him one and to tell him to try it. They would look at it with disgust while holding a fancy Snap-on screwdriver. When I would tell them that they were using the wrong type of screwdriver and they tried the "junk tool" they would be surprised when it would do the job for them.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

Speedbump
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Speedbump » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:42 am

Lee Pape wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:20 am
JIS was and still is the Japanese standard or the American nightmare. Here is an article on JIS screws.
https://www.motorcycle.com/ask-mo-anyth ... llips.html

When I was working when a employer would by a new mill or lathe it would come with a tool box if it was made in Japan. Most of the time the tool box would be either placed on some dark and dust shelf or just thrown out because it was just a bunch of "junk tools". In the tool box would be a wooden handled screwdriver along with assorted wrenches and a little can of touch up paint. When I would spot one of theses tool boxes full of "junk tools" sitting covered in dust or in the garbage can I would open it and take inventory. If it had one of these wooden handled screwdrivers in it I would grab it. I knew that it was a JIS screwdriver. Many a time I would had one to some ham handed maintenance man fighting with screws on an piece of equipment I would hand him one and to tell him to try it. They would look at it with disgust while holding a fancy Snap-on screwdriver. When I would tell them that they were using the wrong type of screwdriver and they tried the "junk tool" they would be surprised when it would do the job for them.
Thanks for the insight. This explains a lot of my frustration as a youth working on Japanese bikes.
Glenn³
2015 Retro.

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:06 pm

Thank you, Lee. Now comes to my mind Keihin stock "fhillips" screws.
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (Боевая Машина Десанта)

The rest is just history.

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:59 pm

Motion Pro makes a bunch of JIS screwdrivers and T-Handle tools. I have the T-Handle version.
JIS is just as if not better than Phillips. Just gotta use the right/correct tool on the right screws and hardware.

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0557

Have you guys ever seen the "Arthur Screwdriver"?
Stagewex

1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:02 pm

RIP Jerry Stiller

Stagewex

Lee Pape
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Lee Pape » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:09 am

Now to further muddy the water. If you have an occasion to work on any thing British then you have come across Whitworth fasteners.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_S ... _Whitworth

Having worked as a tool and diemaker for almost 40 years I have come across quite a few of the world different fasteners and thread types. It was a challenge to figure out what some of these were. Who knew that there is so many types of pipe thread for example.
https://trimantec.com/blogs/t/thread-id ... tion-guide
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.