Bar clamps

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Hubie

Bar clamps

Post by Hubie » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:57 am

Question from a newbie with a 2012 retro model (has the old school steering damper knob).

Someone fited some ugly risers on my hack and I want to return it to original. Will any standard set of clamps do the job or will they potentially foul the steering damper?

Cheers,
Hubie.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

2012 Ural Retro LH chair
1992 Kawasaki ZZR60
1985 Kawasaki GPR600r
1956 Royal Enfield Super Meteor
1954 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Melbourne, Australia.

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Bar clamps

Post by Snakeoil » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:04 am

Cannot answer your specific question. But I can provide a couple photos of my 2000 650 which I believe is the same as the later models. As you can see, the height and style of the riser(s) you chose may or may not interfere.
20151218_152803a.jpg
20151218_152820a.jpg
Although you did not ask, I will make a suggestion. I would suggest that you remove the mechanical damper and install a VW hydraulic camper. Sean offers them in the Gray Market and several members have installed them. I made my own mounts based upon Sean's design and bought a VW damper. Major improvement in the rig. Slow speed maneuvers required less effort and bumps and jolts from the road coming up thru the bars was significantly reduced.

I made an aluminum cap/plug to cover the hole in the stem where the damper rod was. Here is what it looks like now. The clock was a later addition, as was the black headlight shroud (dash).
20170414_200652a.jpg
20190915_185540.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".