Cylinder Removal - Stuck/Hard to Remove

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Manscout
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Cylinder Removal - Stuck/Hard to Remove

Post by Manscout » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:30 pm

I'm surprised I didn't see this in my searching, but how do you get the cylinder off without prying them off?
They do not slide right off as MyUral.com states his did.
Last edited by Manscout on Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool".

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy
Instagram: manscoutwyo

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Re: Cylinder Removal - Stuck/Hard to Remove

Post by jaybird » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:35 pm

I don't recall ever having any trouble removing the cylinders after initially breaking them loose, and for that I just give them a whack with a rubber mallet.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:38 am

I had to remove the studs on mine. The studs aren't in super-tight, but once they are all removed I was able to pull them off with a lot of effort. My base gaskets seemed to almost glue the cylinder to the block. Took lots of scraping with a plastic razor to get the gasket material off the block and cylinder base.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

jeffsaline

Post by jeffsaline » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:46 am

I think I would consider using wooden wedges/shims (like door and window shims) placed between the bottom of the cylinder and the engine case and gently drive the wedges/shims together to work the cylinder off.

On BMW airhead engines the head is connected to the cylinder with two studs and you can make a bar that can be used to jack the head and cylinder off the engine case using the valve cover center stud. Unfortunately the Ural engine isn't built quite the same so this option isn't available.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

URALNUT60
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by URALNUT60 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:37 am

My 650 after nuts removed cylinders came of easily after light taps to break loose from gasket, reason for removing cylinders? Motor froze up? Maybe shoot some PB blaster to free rings or piston that might be hung up on cylinder, other wise wordem wedges at base a good idea

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:47 am

URALNUT60 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:37 am
My 650 after nuts removed cylinders came of easily after light taps to break loose from gasket, reason for removing cylinders? Motor froze up? Maybe shoot some PB blaster to free rings or piston that might be hung up on cylinder, other wise wordem wedges at base a good idea
650 cylinder mounts with nuts on base, 750 cylinder mounts with studs that go through cylinder. Basically a 750 cylinder is held in place by really long rocker arm mounting studs that connect the rocker arms to the engine block. Different designs and removal processes.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

MonkeysUncle

Post by MonkeysUncle » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:59 am

I haven't had trouble removing cylinders. Sometimes just a tug and they break loose. If not I've used a dead blow mallet with a resin head to gently tap the cylinder until it separates from the base gasket.
If you're still having problems with it, check out Gobiums Lemoto site. In the tools section, cylinder removal.
2008 KLR650
2013 GearUp

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:36 am

jaybird wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:35 pm
I don't recall ever having any trouble removing the cylinders after initially breaking them loose, and for that I just give them a whack with a rubber mallet.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
I did try this until some chunks started coming off the mallet.That thing is stuck on there good.

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:38 am

Eric N wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:38 am
I had to remove the studs on mine. The studs aren't in super-tight, but once they are all removed I was able to pull them off with a lot of effort. My base gaskets seemed to almost glue the cylinder to the block. Took lots of scraping with a plastic razor to get the gasket material off the block and cylinder base.
I guess I am not sure how the stud removal would help if the cylinder is "Glued" as you say.

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:40 am

URALNUT60 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:37 am
See my post here: https://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtop ... =5&t=56949

Crankcase filled with gas and I need to check the rings.

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:50 am

MonkeysUncle wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:59 am
I haven't had trouble removing cylinders. Sometimes just a tug and they break loose. If not I've used a dead blow mallet with a resin head to gently tap the cylinder until it separates from the base gasket.
If you're still having problems with it, check out Gobiums Lemoto site. In the tools section, cylinder removal.
Thanks for the lemoto info. I couldn't find that video earlier. That tool would be perfect..... If I had it or could make it. I might go and dig around a store to see if I can find something that would work.

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:10 pm

Manscout wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:38 am
Eric N wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:38 am
I guess I am not sure how the stud removal would help if the cylinder is "Glued" as you say.
With the four studs in place, you can only pull the cylinder straight out. Lots of surface tension fighting you. With the studs removed you can push down, pull up, and break the seal to leverage it off.

I've removed 4 cylinders recently, had to remove studs on all to get them off.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:51 pm

Manscout wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:36 am
jaybird wrote:

Happy trails,
Jaybird
I did try this until some chunks started coming off the mallet.That thing is stuck on there good.
The rubber mallet that I use will break cooling fins before any chunks come off the mallet.
You need to hit solidly, with alternating blows top and bottom of the cylinder with a large rubber or dead blow mallet.
If that wasn’t working for me I would use a “case splitting knife”, which is a heavy knife that you tap with a hammer between the cylinder and engine case to start the separation. Once it starts to separate it should come off rather easy.
A little heat from a heat gun or propane torch at the gasket area might help.
Try to hit the cooling fins squarely so you don’t break any, give it a good whack.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
1995 Olive Tourist
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by jaybird » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:07 pm

jaybird wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:51 pm
Manscout wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:36 am
jaybird wrote:

Happy trails,
Jaybird
The rubber mallet that I use will break cooling fins before any chunks come off the mallet.
You need to hit solidly, with alternating blows top and bottom of the cylinder with a large rubber or dead blow mallet.
If that wasn’t working for me I would use a “case splitting knife”, which is a heavy knife that you tap with a hammer between the cylinder and engine case to start the separation. Once it starts to separate it should come off rather easy.
A little heat from a heat gun or propane torch at the gasket area might help.
Try to hit the cooling fins squarely so you don’t break any, give it a good whack.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
I’ll also add that I’ve done a number of these and I’ve never removed the cylinder mounting studs, in fact I purposely avoid removing the studs to prevent compromising the threads in the engine case, causing myself extra problems.
Loosening the gasket cement with heat will probably help you.
You can use any knife with a sharp edge and a thick blade to wedge the pieces apart.
Good luck.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
1995 Olive Tourist
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.