3rd gear dumped...new gearbox...rebuilding old one

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
africalight
Party Member
Party Member

3rd gear dumped...new gearbox...rebuilding old one

Post by africalight » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:08 pm

Hello All,

I recently got my bike running again and then just like that 3rd gear went out on me. Luckily I was rolling downhill and just moved to 4th. Rode home with 1, 2, and 4. Tried to adjust the shift points and no luck. So I just pulled the trigger on a new gearbox with Herzog gears and now I have a gearbox with Russian gears that I get to learn on.

So I want to rebuild the box with the Russian gears. I don't have it apart yet but I am trying to do some preliminary research on it. I have gone through the tutorials in the unofficial service manual. I think I have a good handle on that enough to jump.

When it comes to obtaining replacement gears, will the gears from a 650 be the same? The gearbox is off an early model 2006 patrol just before they introduced the Herzog gears. I bought too early in the year!!

Thanks
Ryan
2006 Patrol-Totally Rebuilt Engine and going through break in again

n3303j
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: 3rd gear dumped...new gearbox...rebuilding old one

Post by n3303j » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:59 am

My '96 transmission dropped into my 2006 engine with no problems.

Herzog transmission has slightly different ratios in two gears than the Russian Gear unit. Being old I forget which two. But the object was to better mate the ratios to the 750 engine. On road the Herzog box will be an improvement.

I'm sure Holopaw has a shed full of Russian transmission parts.
Ron Cichowski

1998 Moto Guzzi V11 EV STOCK
1996/2014 Ural Sportsman.
Severely Upgraded, Modified and Remanufactured.
1977 Moto Guzzi 850 T3-FB ALMOST STOCK

africalight
Party Member
Party Member

Post by africalight » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:57 am

So the new gearbox with Herzog gears is light years ahead of the old Russian gears. I almost thought I did something wrong when I didn't get the old farm tractor thump shifting. It raised my shift points as well in the higher gears. I never used to be able to get past 45mph before shifting to 4th. Now I hit 50mph before going to 4th. Also had a hard time getting to 60mph with the Russian gears. Now my top speed is a more like 68 or so.
2006 Patrol-Totally Rebuilt Engine and going through break in again

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:21 am

I'm surprised to hear that you could not get to 60 mph with your 750 and Russian gearbox. Maybe you have a lot of farkles on the rig and you're a "big boy" so the load is greater than mine. But my 2000 650 will scoot up to 60 mph without a problem. Actually, it will go a lot faster and I have to pay attention so I don't beat that little motor to badly.

I wonder if your engine could not use a little tuning in the timing and fuel delivery departments.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:11 pm

Are you sure you have the correct speedometer drive gear for your final drive ratio?

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

kannonballer
Comrade
Comrade

Post by kannonballer » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:54 am

Domestically I would hit up Terry Crawford in MI or Gene at Holowpaw in FL. If they can't provide the gears, good overseas sources for replacement Russian gears are East Highway and Russian Garage. The both have reasonable prices and I have never lost an order with either of them. I would highly recommend procuring a set of replacement seals, in addition to the third gear.

Good Luck
Chris
1976 Franken-Ural 650
1999 Tourist
2000 Bavarian Classic (resurrected)