Brake shoes

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
glacoste
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Brake shoes

Post by glacoste » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:00 pm

I've been working on sanding brake shoes using the hub and adhesive backed sandpaper. Let me tell ya... it's some fun! (sarcasm)
So if I can figure out how to resize my photos I'll be able to post them and be in business.
My question is.... Should I continue sanding until all the chalk in the photo is gone, or do you think it will suffice? It seems if I go any further I won't have enough meat on the shoe to last all that long.
What do you think?
Thanks
20200608_130221.jpg
20200608_131458 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013 Gear-up
Mains: 130, Idle: 42, Needle: 0 shims
stock exhaust no cats
23927 km and counting

lee 303
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Brake shoes

Post by lee 303 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:06 pm

Check your brake cam.They are welded construction and lobes on my front twin leading shoe brake were crooked and lifting the shoe unevenly. This results in that tapered wear you see in the first photo. You might want to pull it out of final drive and eyeball it and true it up. I used a belt sander and just did it by eye. Still had a myriad of brake problems ie cable stretch, out of round drums,worn backplate and bushings.As Zorba would say "the full catastrophe". All are in the process of being improved that is ongoing for the past two years.
1996 tourist with mid 70s sidecar
1984 r80rt with sputnik
1967 r60/2 solo

glacoste

Post by glacoste » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:26 pm

Thanks for the info.
2013 Gear-up
Mains: 130, Idle: 42, Needle: 0 shims
stock exhaust no cats
23927 km and counting

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:32 pm

I've been working on sanding brake shoes using the hub and adhesive backed sandpaper.
If you enjoy 'sanding' have at it. If you just want to ride get a bit more aggressive with the process. Buy yourself a NEW single cut flat bastard mill file; 'new' ensures that it is sharp. Take off the high spots, and chalk up and finish with your sanding block.

You ARE wearing a dust mask; that wasn't a question.

Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

Wildhorse Cafe

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:14 pm

I had my brake shoes relined with a woven material, they work much better than the OEM material. I had an extra pair I trade to a fella with front wheel drum brakes, he had to almost drag his feet to stop. He had messed around like you, with sanding an filling to no real benefit. He couldn't believe the difference with the new woven brakeshoe matterial. I think the reshoeing was about $70 a set. I put them on my drive and hack wheels and saw some improvement but not so remarkable (I think it's a flawed design issue), but I'm still happy with them.

[https://1drv.ms/f/s!AilBLNSriQhGgZR3oi6uuPevNeSY4Q]
2011 Patrol, The Higgs Bison Super Collider, formally known as, the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, Chernaya Krasota, formally known as, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

URALNUT60
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by URALNUT60 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:59 pm

When i replaced my front brake cable with one made by Kevin Macdonald of PT CUSTOMS front brake works great watched the video on measuring the darům and setting brake shoes evenly from center of axle as close as possible to drum size, also leaving shoes on drum plate and removing brake arms and linkage and spindles will go to lowest point, brake works real well, adjusted brake shoes on pusher and sidecar wheel having the pusher slightly dominate the sidecar brake to miminize right side pull