The Evil Dreaded Rear Brake Light Switch

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

The Evil Dreaded Rear Brake Light Switch

Post by MartyL » Sun May 17, 2020 5:49 pm

I got the longest run on an Evil Dreaded Rear Brake Switch (20,000 kms+) but the Demon of the underworld has surfaced once again to spread its evil curse upon my 2010 Gear Up and crapped out. Luckily I always have spares of the evil device of the Devil. By design grease and dirt get in the plunger of the switch and it eventually craps out...
Nothing can stop the dark evil forces of the Evil Dreaded Rear Brake Light Switch.... :mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2018 H-D FLHXS
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

CrankyTom
Party Member
Party Member

Re: The Evil Dreaded Rear Brake Light Switch

Post by CrankyTom » Mon May 18, 2020 6:05 am

MartyL wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:49 pm
I got the longest run on an Evil Dreaded Rear Brake Switch (20,000 kms+) but the Demon of the underworld has surfaced once again to spread its evil curse upon my 2010 Gear Up and crapped out. Luckily I always have spares of the evil device of the Devil. By design grease and dirt get in the plunger of the switch and it eventually craps out...
Nothing can stop the dark evil forces of the Evil Dreaded Rear Brake Light Switch.... :mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Jeez,I got 71,000 km+ out of mine.
I'm a Marxist at heart-you can't beat Groucho,Chico,and Harpo!
2012 Patrol T

stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by stagewex » Mon May 18, 2020 10:42 am

I've replaced a four (4) over the last close to 14 years. Winter riding even if not in the snow (we got no real snowfall this year) theres still the salt and calcium chloride that they seem to paint on the streets and of course not being able to spray it off with a frozen hose, until Spring.
You're lucky you don't have to deal with that anymore down there in Florida Marty.

Every and anytime I do a small order with Terry of Gene I always have them throw a couple into the shipment too. I probably have about 10 spares now.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

rougaroo

Post by rougaroo » Mon May 18, 2020 4:26 pm

I've probably replaced 4 over the years, but the last time I put a dab of dielectric grease on the rod just to see if it'd keep the crud out. That was two or more years ago. Maybe it'll work for you, but no guarantees. One time I also had brief success cleaning one out with brake cleaner and reinstalling. That lasted about six months.

I experimented one time with a magnetic electric switch used on the steps of RV's that operates the same way where closed = off and open = on. Unfortunately the amperage must have been too high 'cause it burnt the switch out. I keep thinking there has to be a better weather-proof switch out there somewhere.

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

n3303j

Post by n3303j » Tue May 19, 2020 9:19 pm

Still have the original on my '96 frame. Drown it in ACF-50 every so often and brush the chunks off. Otherwise maintenance free. (Hope I didn't just curse it?)
Ron Cichowski

1998 Moto Guzzi V11 EV STOCK
1996/2014 Ural Sportsman.
Severely Upgraded, Modified and Remanufactured.
1977 Moto Guzzi 850 T3-FB ALMOST STOCK

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Tue May 19, 2020 11:10 pm

OEM Dnepr mechanical switch, still ticking...

Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu May 21, 2020 11:34 am

MartyL wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:49 pm
What does it look like?

Mine sh!t the bed on the way home from collecting the rig from the dealer, first time I'd rode it. :o

Made it work again, inevitably it crapped out again, replaced with this off of eBay, was shipped from the U.S., looks and works the same. But 3 years later it's still working. But maybe only because I've got two spares (following Murphy's Law that it will never go wrong if you've got a spare).

-
Brake Switch-02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")