Oil not getting to right cylinder head

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
jeffsaline
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Oil not getting to right cylinder head

Post by jeffsaline » Fri May 15, 2020 10:23 pm

Please remember I have no knowledge of the engine with the issue. Maybe before I would fully pull down the engine, probably without even removing it from the frame I would try something else. I might just pull the top end so I could get to the oil passage(s) in question. I might remove the oil pan or at least drain the oil in the pan. I might try forcing air into the oil passage(s) in question to see if something might clear. If I was pretty sure it was grease and not cosmoline causing an issue I might put kerosene into the passage and again blow some air into it trying to force the kerosene through the passage(s). I would probably have the connecting rods if not removeable from the crank suspended using rubber bands or inner tube so they would stay centered in the cylinder base bores in the engine case. Think "X" when looking at the cylinder bore in the engine with the connecting rod small end at the center of the "X". Then I might try blowing the air into the passages while at the same time rotating the crankshaft. I would probably use the kickstarting lever and not use an electric starter if one is available.

Based on the results of that exercise I might try putting some kerosene in the crankcase (remembering to first reinstall the drain plug : ) ) and then cranking the engine so the oil pump might suck up the kerosene and distribute it along the lubrication circuits throughout the engine. I would probably let that sit for a while, maybe even overnight and see if that loosens some debris if it was clogging a passage.

If it clears the passage(s) and allows flow as needed I would probably drain the kerosene. Then add some inexpensive oil and circulate that for a bit. Then I would probably drain that oil and allow it to continue to drain while I reassembled the top end.

Finally I would add clean oil and rotate the engine with the kick starter to get oil circulating. Then I would probably try starting the engine and check for lube where lube should be. If it works, great. If it doesn't work I would then consider tearing the engine down and cleaning and inspecting parts and passages as needed and not optional.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Korto
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Korto » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:58 pm

OK, it's been a farking $#!+ of a year, but I cleaned out the engine with kero, made sure the channels were clear, and finally put it all back together again.

It started. Yay.

But there's no oil getting into either cylinder head.

Before I snapped the crank, back when everything was running well, I was using 10-30 oil, because that was what I had always used on previous bikes. While reading up on replacing the crankshaft, I read people talking about using 20-50 in the engine, so I thought "Ooops!", and changed to 20-50. So right now it's that 20-50 that's not pumping around. I'm starting to wonder about that.

Anyone know what bloody oil I should use? Because I can't find any official information.
Australia, Newcastle. 1972 Dnepr MT-9... mostly... I think...

Korto
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Korto » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:53 am

Had another thought--maybe I'm just being too impatient? How long does it take a noticeable amount of oil to travel from the sump to the cylinder heads, considering it's got to become mist and go through those little sliders?

Msblu79
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Msblu79 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:07 am

Oil to the heads is slung by the crank slingers down the pushrod tubes to lube the valves & rocker arms. Are you getting any oil pressure at all? is the pump working? :?
2010 Black Patrol 94,000km's

brianural

Post by brianural » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:12 am

20-50 but I don't have any official source either other than my mt-11 manual (understand you have mt-9)
2011 HD RGU
2003 Honda VTX1800 - sold
2005 Honda VTX1300 - sold
Bunch of other metric bikes for last 45 years
"1966 titled" Dnepr MT-11 (reality is a 80-90's)
1956 IMZ M72 bought in pieces, working on build
1967 KMZ MB-750

Korto
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Korto » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:36 am

Well, my oil light's going off like it should, so there must be something. It did occur to me some time later I should have hooked up my oil pressure gauge.

But yeah, there' these little cylinder-shaped cam slider things that push the pushrods. They've got cutouts that must catch the mist, which then drains out the little holes. So I'm wondering if maybe the 50 is too thick (but everyone here seems to be using 50?), or maybe I'm being too impatient and I'll have to let it run for a few minutes (without oil in the heads! :shock: ) to give it time to pump through the system.

jeffsaline

Post by jeffsaline » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:15 am

I still don't have personal experience with the engine you are working on. Maybe 17 years ago I was working on a guy's BMW Airhead engine. Put a top end on it and before putting the valve covers on I wanted to start the engine to make sure it was getting lube to the valve train. The left side had oil at the rockers in less than 10 seconds. The right side stayed dry. Short story is we used an oil can to squirt oil on the valve components while running the engine waiting for oil to arrive. It didn't. Tearing the engine down and removing the crankshaft I discovered that when the front main bearing had been replaced by a BMW dealer about 30,000 miles earlier they failed to drill the oil passage in the bearing for the right side top end oiling. So the engine ran for an estimated 30,000 miles without pressure fed oil to the right side valve train. I measured the valve train parts and could find no wear differences from the left side parts.

Maybe consider squirting oil all over the right side valve train, put the cover on and ride it for 10 minutes. Then pull the cover and see what it looks like.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions

Korto
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Korto » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:45 am

Will letting it idle in place achieve the same thing? It's just that the bike's unregistered and the cop shop's just down the street. It's a $1400 fine if I get caught--$700 for an unregistered vehicle on the road, and $700 for driving a vehicle without insurance (and since you can't insure an unregistered vehicle, well...)

Korto
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Korto » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:54 pm

Hang on, hang on--people, come back here...
"...they failed to drill the oil passage in the bearing for the right side top end oiling."

Is this true for Dnepr's too? Was I supposed to drill holes through the front bearing on the crankshaft?

This is important, because I certainly didn't do this.

jeffsaline

Post by jeffsaline » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:47 pm

No idea what the Dnepr's bearing or oiling system is about. On the airhead the front crankshaft bearing is a single piece and once it is pressed into the case five oil passage holes are supposed to be drilled. On the airhead the only drilling is into the bearing through the case. You don't drill anything in the crankshaft. Again, no idea about the Dnepr.

If you are going to run the engine without riding I would suggest you put a fan in front of each cylinder and be careful of monitoring temperatures. A downside of this on a new engine is you will have a heck of a time seating the rings.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up