Installed Driving Lights

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
ruelio

Installed Driving Lights

Post by ruelio » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:06 pm

New forum member here and new Ural owner...sort of. It's actually my wifes bike but I do most of the maintenance although she has expressed interest in getting her hands dirty too. In any case, last week, she purchased her first Ural. It's a 2015 Gear-Up in Camo. She absolutely loves it so far. I ride too but I have a BMW. There are a few things we wanted to get done on it that the bike did not come with. First up, driving lights. We did not want to pay the $300 or so dollars that Ural wanted. This project cost about $35 all in. I already had the wire and ring terminals on hand. Also, she wanted to have them to come on with the bike, just like the headlight and not have to remember to turn them on or off. So, I wired them into constant, switched ignition power. I also did put a switch on them in case she ever does want to turn them off. It turned out pretty well so I thought I would share here. As new owners, I am sure we will get a lot out of this forum so I wanted to start off by giving something back.

Things I purchased:

The lights from Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B017NJO4P2/ ... dEbJSNN30Z

Universal Bar mount kit:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

A switch from O'Rreilly Auto Parts (Part # 85908):

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/do ... itch&pos=2

Some Grommets from O'Reilly (Part #: 02365):

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/do ... 2365&pos=0

Tools:

• Soldering iron, flux, solder
  • Assortment of pliers
  • Multimeter
  • Screwdrivers
  • Clamp
  • Sockets
  • Utility Knife
  • Split flexible conduit
  • 20ga. Automotive wire
  • Wire strippers
  • Crimpers
  • Butt connectors
  • Ring terminals
  • Electrical Tape
  • Hex wrenches
  • Side cutters
  • Box end wrench
  • Blue lock tight
  • Zip ties
  • Step bit drill

The first step was to mount the actual lights to the front sidecar bumper. I am not really going to spend any time explaining this as it was pretty straight forward.

I did use a step bit drill to cut into the front of the sidecar and one of the grommets from O'Reilly to feed the wires through:

Next step, disconnect power (I did pull both but only had the pic of one plug pulled):

From there, it was connecting the wires from each light together (power and ground) and then using some more red and black wire to extend the combined wires into the sidecar. The sidecar has power all the time so I could not take advantage of the fuse box there. It would have been nice but just did not work for me. I did terminate the ground with a ring terminal to the grounding lug in the fuse box though.

Mounted the toggle switch on the fusebox with blue loctite to secure it:

I also "turned over" the spotlight switch. When we got it, it was up for off and down for on. I like to switch my lights on by flipping up.

Ring terminals I used to wire in the switch and ground:

I cleaned up the wires later and ran them along the top of the sidecar:

Next, figure out what wires had power with the ignition in the "on" position. I knew the white driving lights on the sidecar fender did, so, I used my multi-meter and the service manual to identify which wire that was. It was the yellow one :) Clipped some zip ties and pulled it out of the split corrugated conduit:

There was already an empty, unused gromment in the sidecar that I used to run the power wire:

Stripped a section of the yellow wire to splice in the red power wire:

After soldering and taping:

Finally, I used some split corrugated conduit to clean it up. Used and tape and more zip ties to re-secure everything:

Finished product:

So, after getting all this done (and wiring in a USB port...maybe I will write that up too) we went for a two hour "test ride" today. I have to say...these things are bright. Have not seen them in the dark yet, but, I fear they may be too bright for oncoming traffic in the dark. We'll see on that. I can aim them down a little so that might help. Else, I am glad I installed the kill switch so she can reach down and put them out if there is oncoming traffic. I guess hindsight says I should have went with a handlebar mounted switch. Nothing I can't switch up later (see what I did there ;)). However, we mostly wanted these for daytime visibility of the others we share the road with. Hope this write up helps. I did have trouble finding a write up where someone wired these into switched ignition power...maybe one exists. This can just add to it. I know when I do these projects, I like reading as many different peoples takes on them as possible.

Cheers!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 Ural Gear Up in Camo (Wife's rig)
2016 BMW R1200GS (My Rig)
2015 Royal Enfield Continental GT (Wife's other rig)
1981 Yamaha XS400SH (shared, was our first "starter" bike)

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Installed Driving Lights

Post by chaos2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:13 pm

Nice write up. Probably does matter with LED's but with my tungsten Hella driving and fog lights I used relays, tapping the switching circuit into the hi and low headlight wires and drawing the power out of the sidecar fusebox. Looks like a nice big garage you got there!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

windmill
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by windmill » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:20 pm

Nice write up, and job, terrible lights.

They have the same lights on the back of the hosteling tractors at work. They're a work/flood light, not a driving light, very bright up close but little throw. Blinding at night to anybody facing them, and aiming them down doesn't help.

I saw lights like this on a jeep, and really liked them. Very conspicuous day and night, yet traffic friendly.
https://www.amazon.com/Auokay-Driving-W ... 5&sr=8-151
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

ruelio

Post by ruelio » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:46 am

chaos2 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:13 pm
Nice write up. Probably does matter with LED's but with my tungsten Hella driving and fog lights I used relays, tapping the switching circuit into the hi and low headlight wires and drawing the power out of the sidecar fusebox. Looks like a nice big garage you got there!
Thanks @chaos2! Yup, I looked into the relay thing but determined it was not necessary.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

ruelio

Post by ruelio » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:51 am

windmill wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:20 pm
Nice write up, and job, terrible lights.

They have the same lights on the back of the hosteling tractors at work. They're a work/flood light, not a driving light, very bright up close but little throw. Blinding at night to anybody facing them, and aiming them down doesn't help.

I saw lights like this on a jeep, and really liked them. Very conspicuous day and night, yet traffic friendly.
https://www.amazon.com/Auokay-Driving-W ... 5&sr=8-151
Windmill, thanks and I appreciate the feedback. I am sure you are right. One reason I only spent $20 on the lights was in case I didn’t like them. I see those you posted are reasonably priced as well. I may just look into switching them out.

windmill

Post by windmill » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:19 am

ruelio wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:51 am
Windmill, thanks and I appreciate the feedback. I am sure you are right. One reason I only spent $20 on the lights was in case I didn’t like them. I see those you posted are reasonably priced as well. I may just look into switching them out.
If you get them, please share your opinion and observations. I'm considering them for my M70.

Seeing and being seen is important to me, but it's equally important to me to not deprive others the same. There's lots of inexpensive lights, and lots of good lights, the trick is finding good inexpensive lights.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

sKiZo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by sKiZo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:37 am

Tidy installation. I ended up adding a complete lighting harness to my car, including brake, running, and backup lights as well as the driving lamps.

Couple things to consider that worked well here if you're interested.

- Those lamp mounts are probably going to want to spin some what with all the bouncing around. Mine did anyway. I drilled the clamps and bumper, adding pop rivets to stop that ...

- Rather than have a bunch of new wire loom cluttering up the connection to the car, I took the original small stuff off and just wrapped the entire wire bundle with a piece of 1½" loom. Tidier I think.

- Also added a quick disconnect to the new wiring in case I ever have to drop the car for service. Seemed a nice touch. Four wire flat trailer connectors work nice for that.

Oh. And one last touch. Don't forget to label the switch! <G>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

VWK75S

Post by VWK75S » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:19 am

ruelio wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:06 pm

I also "turned over" the spotlight switch. When we got it, it was up for off and down for on.
That prevents the spotlight from being turned on accidently from passenger's knee, :feelsgood:
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 150,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:44 am

What I learned doing both of mine.

Driving lights have a longer narrow beam and are for looking down the road.
Fog lights have a wider beam and are for closer illumination.

Mine are switched from a rewired BRS or on the side of the car.

The new wire loom looks good. I took a different route and removed the disconnects. The wiring now leads to a junction box just inside the car. I used shielded spade connectors that are set up so there won't be any shorts if I pull the wires. The couple of times I've had the car off I simply coiled the wires up and tied them off against the front triple tree.

Whatever lights you use you'll need to aim them. I use marks on my rear garage wall for this. At 25ft the headlight beam center should be at the same height as the center of the lamp. The high beam, when on, should be a couple of inches lower. Set the driving lights the same way with the beam center as high as the lights lens. I turn the right lamp (as you face forward) out a bit for better roadside illumination. After you get your beams where you want them a couple of marks on the wall and floor makes checking easy. I've also been known to use a strip of blue masking tape to mark the position of the headlamp bucket against the edge of mounting cowl so I can put it back in the same place.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

ruelio

Post by ruelio » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:09 am

windmill wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:19 am
ruelio wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:51 am
If you get them, please share your opinion and observations. I'm considering them for my M70.

Seeing and being seen is important to me, but it's equally important to me to not deprive others the same. There's lots of inexpensive lights, and lots of good lights, the trick is finding good inexpensive lights.
Wise words! Yeah, the lights aren't so much for seeing as they are for being seen and I certainly am not the type to inconvenience others for my sake. There's a sweet spot[light] and I have to find it!

ruelio

Post by ruelio » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:14 am

sKiZo wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:37 am
Tidy installation. I ended up adding a complete lighting harness to my car, including brake, running, and backup lights as well as the driving lamps.

Couple things to consider that worked well here if you're interested.

- Those lamp mounts are probably going to want to spin some what with all the bouncing around. Mine did anyway. I drilled the clamps and bumper, adding pop rivets to stop that ...

- Rather than have a bunch of new wire loom cluttering up the connection to the car, I took the original small stuff off and just wrapped the entire wire bundle with a piece of 1½" loom. Tidier I think.

- Also added a quick disconnect to the new wiring in case I ever have to drop the car for service. Seemed a nice touch. Four wire flat trailer connectors work nice for that.

Oh. And one last touch. Don't forget to label the switch! <G>

Good ideas! Right now they seem pretty solid but no telling how that chinese rubber is going to hold up to UV. It may shrink and harden losing its ability to hold. Wasn't too keen on drilling more holes in the bike as rust resistant metal does not seem to be a strong suit of these Russian bikes. However, if I find a lamp that looks to work for me better long term, I am sure I can come up with a way to mitigate the problem with more thought. I like that idea of a quick disconnect too. When I try more lights, I will wire one in.

ruelio

Post by ruelio » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:15 am

VWK75S wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:19 am
ruelio wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:06 pm

I also "turned over" the spotlight switch. When we got it, it was up for off and down for on.
That prevents the spotlight from being turned on accidently from passenger's knee, :feelsgood:
John
Oof! Didn't think of that...we'll see how that goes.

ruelio

Post by ruelio » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:17 am

GHGoodwin wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:44 am
What I learned doing both of mine.

Driving lights have a longer narrow beam and are for looking down the road.
Fog lights have a wider beam and are for closer illumination.

Mine are switched from a rewired BRS or on the side of the car.

The new wire loom looks good. I took a different route and removed the disconnects. The wiring now leads to a junction box just inside the car. I used shielded spade connectors that are set up so there won't be any shorts if I pull the wires. The couple of times I've had the car off I simply coiled the wires up and tied them off against the front triple tree.

Whatever lights you use you'll need to aim them. I use marks on my rear garage wall for this. At 25ft the headlight beam center should be at the same height as the center of the lamp. The high beam, when on, should be a couple of inches lower. Set the driving lights the same way with the beam center as high as the lights lens. I turn the right lamp (as you face forward) out a bit for better roadside illumination. After you get your beams where you want them a couple of marks on the wall and floor makes checking easy. I've also been known to use a strip of blue masking tape to mark the position of the headlamp bucket against the edge of mounting cowl so I can put it back in the same place.
It was when I first turned these lights on in the garage that I realized that these weren't the aimin' type and was immediately concerned about glare to oncoming drivers. It was concerned, even during the day while riding with my wife in the rearview mirror that I realized how bright they are. Thanks for the tips.

bratmanxj

Post by bratmanxj » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:29 am

ruelio wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:15 am
VWK75S wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:19 am
John
Oof! Didn't think of that...we'll see how that goes.
I have flat rocker switches mounted on the face of the fuse box and have yet to have someone hit them. They are mounted "high & tight" inside the tub and most people try to avoid whacking their knees. I've had some pretty large guys (6'5" 350+) even say the tub is pretty roomy.
1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
2007 Ural Tourist - The Big Red Brick
Chinese Knock off Honda Trail 70 rescued from the in-laws shed
1984 Suzuki LT125 Quadrunner - Sold off to a Friend
Boats, Jets Skis and Golf Carts...other fun stuff!

sKiZo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by sKiZo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:17 pm

Swivel mounts are a must, especially seeing as how the lights are mounted off center on the rig. I got mine set to throw a beam to light the center line a few car lengths ahead, and one is aimed up towards the shoulder to catch street signs. Works well for me, and no complaints so far ...

(and no, I have no idea what lights those are - they were on the bike when I got it, and the prior owner says they were a "garage find". I do know they throw out a LOT of light, even compared to the H4 headlight.)
ruelio wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:17 am
It was when I first turned these lights on in the garage that I realized that these weren't the aimin' type
Most universal type lights only have the single swivel for up/down. I used a mounting bar that clamps onto the bumper and allows me to swivel each light as needed. Easy enough to make if you're handy, but I know both UralNE and Raceway have them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.