Help Mounting Bench Seat on 2016 GU

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
OleanderSalad
Party Member
Party Member

Help Mounting Bench Seat on 2016 GU

Post by OleanderSalad » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:23 pm

Just got my bench seat in from Redmond. No bolts, nuts, or clues included.

My GU has a rear fender rack in place---just eyeballing it---looks like the rear rack bolt holes are in the right place fit the rear seat, and the large front threaded stud should fit through the slot in the seat plate.

I'm thinking of getting a large flat washer to put between the front stud and the plate, figuring out what size nut and a lock washer to put UNDER the plate, then using two of the (hopefully right sized) existing rack bolts for the back seat mounts, although I'm pretty sure these will be too short.

I'll eventually put the rack over on the currently naked side-car fender.

Just thought I'd run this plan past the experts. Anybody have any tips or see any problems with my little plan?

Thanks!
2016 Grey Metallic Gear Up, "Lexi" (CV-16)

Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Help Mounting Bench Seat on 2016 GU

Post by Lofty » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:14 pm

OleanderSalad wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:23 pm
My GU has a rear fender rack in place---just eyeballing it---looks like the rear rack bolt holes are in the right place fit the rear seat, and the large front threaded stud should fit through the slot in the seat plate.
Installing the Enduro bench seat will require removing the fender rack. It will fit nicely on the sidecar fender, as you intend.

I use and recommend the linked stainless thumb screws for attaching the seat using the holes previously occupied by the aforementioned fender rack. A dab of anti-seize on the threads will serve you well.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I don't presently recall the precise size of the nut for use on the stud at the front of the seat. You could use a thread pitch gauge to determine if you have the correct nut in your own inventory, or source one at the local hardware store. I use and recommend a stainless nyloc nut for that particular application.
Last edited by Lofty on Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

OleanderSalad
Party Member
Party Member

Post by OleanderSalad » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:19 pm

Those are really pretty and twenty bucks each!

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:21 pm

Mm. The price has indeed increased. They were $12.00 each when I purchased a pair in January 2019.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey

OleanderSalad
Party Member
Party Member

Post by OleanderSalad » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:38 pm

Lofty wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:21 pm
Mm. The price has indeed increased. They were $12.00 each when I purchased a pair in January 2019.
That does look like a better solution than flipping the rack bolts (even if that WOULD work).

I got really used to ordering stuff from hondaline. They're like "Here's everything you need and a few things you don't"

I did get three cool Ural logo stickers though! :D

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:02 pm

OleanderSalad wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:38 pm
Lofty wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:21 pm
That does look like a better solution than flipping the rack bolts (even if that WOULD work).
If you're not in a rush, there's a website (linked below) that allows you to monitor price trends on Amazon. Doing so allows you to defer your purchase until the item price(s) drop beyond a nominal amount...if the price goes down, which of course isn't guaranteed to occur.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/

I've saved a fair bit of lucre by timing my purchases to coincide with online price reductions, some of which are available only briefly. E.g., the linked oil filter trends at $10.xx. My best price to date (and coincidentally, the most recent one) was $6.22.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

It's only money. :D
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey

FlyingMonkees
Party Member
Party Member

Post by FlyingMonkees » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:40 pm

The front nut and washer size for the bench or enduro seat is M10x1 fiber lock nut. Standard rear screws are M8x25.
2014 Camo Gear Up (Светлана)
2014 "Race" Red Patrol
2013 Black Retro Solo (Татьяна)
2010 Black Solo T
2010 Rust Camo Gear Up (Ольга)
2005 Black Wolf (Наташа)
2014 Harley Ultra Limited
PA-31

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:55 pm

You might also try this; viewtopic.php?f=11&t=54131&hilit=Enduro

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

OleanderSalad
Party Member
Party Member

Post by OleanderSalad » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:38 pm

FlyingMonkees wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:40 pm
The front nut and washer size for the bench or enduro seat is M10x1 fiber lock nut. Standard rear screws are M8x25.
Thanks FM!

I'ma heading out to pep boys soon with this shopping list.
  • 1x M10x1 fiber lock nut, flat washer, lock washer for front stud.
    2x M8x25 bolts, flat washer, lock washer for rear bolts.
    Feeler gauge to do valves with (my old one is rusty)
    4-5 quarts of Castro 4T 20W-50 Go, or Mobile 1 synth (Ill decide when I'm there)
I got a liter of that Motul 75W90 sitting on my desk...
Will probably do the first service DIY this weekend even if it's a little early mileage wise.
Do I need to order those washers/gaskets from the stealership, or is it OK to reuse the stock ones?

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:22 pm

Probably a bit late ... :oops:
OleanderSalad wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:23 pm
Just got my bench seat in from Redmond. No bolts, nuts, or clues included.

My GU has a rear fender rack in place---just eyeballing it---looks like the rear rack bolt holes are in the right place fit the rear seat,
Yes. Or at least, ought to be.
and the large front threaded stud should fit through the slot in the seat plate.
Yes.
I'm thinking of getting a large flat washer to put between the front stud and the plate, figuring out what size nut and a lock washer to put UNDER the plate,
17mm spanner, what's that M10?

FlyingMonkees wrote:
Right what he said. ^ :D

Be warned access can be extremely fiddly, be prepared for lots of swearing while you drop / lose nuts / screws etc.

:D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

FlyingMonkees
Party Member
Party Member

Post by FlyingMonkees » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:30 am

OleanderSalad wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:38 pm
FlyingMonkees wrote:
Thanks FM!

I'ma heading out to pep boys soon with this shopping list.
  • 1x M10x1 fiber lock nut, flat washer, lock washer for front stud.
    2x M8x25 bolts, flat washer, lock washer for rear bolts.
    Feeler gauge to do valves with (my old one is rusty)
    4-5 quarts of Castro 4T 20W-50 Go, or Mobile 1 synth (Ill decide when I'm there)
I got a liter of that Motul 75W90 sitting on my desk...
Will probably do the first service DIY this weekend even if it's a little early mileage wise.
Do I need to order those washers/gaskets from the stealership, or is it OK to reuse the stock ones?
Also just FYI, the parts catalog also show a rubber washer to go between the fender and seat. Although the two I removed that mounted this way were both missing them. If you want to include something to help protect the fender paint you could cut a couple out of an old inner tube or get something from the plumbing department of your local big box hardware store.

Also with the locking nut on the front seat stud you really won't need the lock washer, just another thing to keep falling off as you try to fit your hand into the limited space to start the nut.
2014 Camo Gear Up (Светлана)
2014 "Race" Red Patrol
2013 Black Retro Solo (Татьяна)
2010 Black Solo T
2010 Rust Camo Gear Up (Ольга)
2005 Black Wolf (Наташа)
2014 Harley Ultra Limited
PA-31

scottmastrocinque
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by scottmastrocinque » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:56 am

51A5CT9JEHL._SL1181_.jpeg

Two things I can share with you about my experience in this on my 2017 GearUp.

1. I ordered these bolts from Amazon. They were too short to go through the fender and to catch the threaded inserts on the bottom of my seat. The bolster at the base of the screw threads, is too long and there are not enough threads. I took them to my machinist friend who took the bolster down further and extended the threads, and now they work great. I may have ordered too short of a thread length but at the time I bought them, there was no length listed. It just said "for Ural". YMMV.

2. I modified my front seat mounting plate to make it MUCH easier to get the seat on and off. I removed the plate, and drilled a large hole big enough for the nylock nut and washer to easily pass right through, right at the very end of the stock slit where you pass the seat mounting stud through it.

The opening now looks like an upside down lollipop with the round part pointing towards the rear of the motorcycle when the plate is mounted on the bike.

This allows me to simply loosen the front nylock nut and washer, remove the (shown above) two thumb screws from the rear of the seat under the fender, and SLIDE the seat rearward on the bike, and it just lifts right off through the lollipop hole.

Installation is the reverse, I just set the seat front mounting post back into the hole allowing the nylock nut and washer to pass through the lollipop hole, slide the seat forward which traps the nut and washer on the proper side of the mounting plate, and replace the thumb screws and a quick turn of a wrench on the nylock nut at the front, and it's done. No more fumbling under the seat trying to put a washer and nylock on and off.

I've actually gotten so skilled at this maneuver, and I know exactly just how tight to keep the nylock nut, that I don't even bother to tighten the front nylock anymore because it is just snug enough that after sliding the seat forward and putting in the thumb screws, the seat doesn't move at all so the extra tightening of the nylock nut is just an annoyance I avoid altogether. I can now remove my seat, in the dark if need be, and never worry about nuts and washers or trying to get a wrench under my seat.

Good Luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 Ural Gear Up Sahara
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2009 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2008 Piaggio MP3 400ie
2007 Piaggio X9 500 Evoluzione
1997 Moto Guzzi V10 Centauro

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all, life is too short to be anything but happy."

OleanderSalad
Party Member
Party Member

Post by OleanderSalad » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:45 am

Thanks Scott et al.

I am seriously considering the upside down lollypop idea!

My broken rear wheel has an appointment for a rebuild on the 21st (courtesy of Ural), so while at the dealership I may try to bum some nuts and bolts from them. I need to pick up some washers and maybe gaskets for my DIY on the first service interval.

Also thinking about getting rear passenger pegs in the off chance I needed to ride somebody back there :)

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:23 pm

FlyingMonkees wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:30 am
Also just FYI, the parts catalog also show a rubber washer to go between the fender and seat. Although the two I removed that mounted this way were both missing them. If you want to include something to help protect the fender paint you could cut a couple out of an old inner tube or get something from the plumbing department of your local big box hardware store.
Mine had no rubber washers either, but actually on the Enduro the only parts that touch anything are the rubber buffers, or 'feet', of which there are many, so no part of the actual base (which is plastic) touches the fender I don't think. Or maybe not even the 'A' plate at the front, except the front stud. Which incidentally originally had a rubber grommet around it, but had disintegrated on mine.

Note also mine left circular marks on the fender paint where the buffers sat (4 off, in that area), but fortunately came off with WD40 and a rag.

Note also (#2) the Enduro is not waterproof and the rain collects in the base (good job it's plastic and doesn't rust!), I drilled holes in mine to let it out, which was fairly successful. Otherwise if you take it off after some use and stand it on end, e.g. leant against a wall, a load of water runs out. :o
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

mod_rocker
Comrade
Comrade

Post by mod_rocker » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:50 pm

scottmastrocinque wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:56 am
51A5CT9JEHL._SL1181_.jpeg

2. I modified my front seat mounting plate to make it MUCH easier to get the seat on and off. I removed the plate, and drilled a large hole big enough for the nylock nut and washer to easily pass right through, right at the very end of the stock slit where you pass the seat mounting stud through it.

The opening now looks like an upside down lollipop with the round part pointing towards the rear of the motorcycle when the plate is mounted on the bike.
This is a great idea!
Kevin
Washington, D.C.
@sidecar2school
'12 Yamal "Plaustrum"
'73 Triumph Tiger
'68 BSA Starfire "resting in pieces"