500km Service on an Out of Warranty 2016 GU

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: 500km Service on an Out of Warranty 2016 GU

Post by Lofty » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:45 pm

OleanderSalad wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:22 pm
Lofty wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:42 pm
It'd be interesting to know why a Ural sold as new in 2016 had a four year old pusher wheel in situ.
I'm curious about that myself.

When I spoke to Lydia (?) at mothership Wednesday afternoon, I gave her the VIN and she seemed to think there might be an unprocessed recall for my bike. At this point, I think they all left the country or something because I haven't got any emails or return calls, and today, the recording actually says "we're closed".

With this pending "mystery of the old wheel" outstanding, who knows what else is wrong with it?

If I do wind up going the DIY route, I'd sure like to have you guys on speed dial. :)
Earlier this year, and due to significant paint bubbling and delamination, I initiated a warranty claim to replace the original fuel tank on my GU. Doing so required a greater communication effort, from me and to all relevant parties, than I had anticipated would or should be necessary. Text messages, e-mails, FB Messenger and finally a somewhat sternly-worded letter sent via snail mail. I got satisfaction, but only after several months. Keep at it here, OS, and you should receive the service that you require.

I recall it being mentioned on this forum that the break-in process for a new Ural requires a four-figure accumulation of mileage. I originally thought that suggestion was just the web wags being hyperbolic. They weren't. Over time, and with the odometer showing the miles piling up, both the acceleration and the shift quality got observably smoother on my rig. It did take time, though, certainly much longer than I had ever experienced with my Jap motorcycles. Yours should do the same.

Your experience with air cooled VW engines should hold you in good stead here as you begin to spin wrenches on your Ural.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

wooden nickel

Post by wooden nickel » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:06 pm

Oh, I get it. Is this is like when my dad told me to go check the antifreeze in my first VW Bug? HA!
Actually in this case they aren't jerking your chain. You can build a cable to connect a Bluetooth OBDII scan tool to your Ural. It is nice to have especially if you need to balance your throttle bodies. It isn't totally necessary but nice. Also you probably need to go to a dealer sometime and get the off road tune installed on your bike.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

scottmastrocinque
Party Member
Party Member

Post by scottmastrocinque » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:00 am

OleanderSalad wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:18 pm
Eric N wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:42 pm
I'd suggest building the cable to synch the carbs while you're at it.
Oh, I get it. Is this is like when my dad told me to go check the antifreeze in my first VW Bug? HA! :D

(Not being a bright child, I spent about an hour in the freezing wind trying to find the damned radiator. )
Your 2016 has ElectroJet FI, just like my 2017. If you wish to be able to do your own services, which I recommend, you MUST build a cable to link your ECU’s (plural —- one on each throttle body) in order to synchronize the fuel injection on each side, together. The is no accurate manual way to do it.

That’s why I made my offer. Sometimes, trying to get a simple, direct answer around here is like pulling teeth.

I service my rig. I am happy to share with you what is involved. Start to finish. If you need help. Otherwise, happy sidecar riding!
2017 Ural Gear Up Sahara
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2009 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2007 Piaggio X9 500 Evoluzione
1997 Moto Guzzi V10 Centauro

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all, life is too short to be anything but happy."

OleanderSalad
Comrade
Comrade

Post by OleanderSalad » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:01 am

scottmastrocinque wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:00 am
OleanderSalad wrote:
Eric N wrote:
Oh, I get it. Is this is like when my dad told me to go check the antifreeze in my first VW Bug? HA! :D

(Not being a bright child, I spent about an hour in the freezing wind trying to find the damned radiator. )
Your 2016 has ElectroJet FI, just like my 2017. If you wish to be able to do your own services, which I recommend, you MUST build a cable to link your ECU’s (plural —- one on each throttle body) in order to synchronize the fuel injection on each side, together. The is no accurate manual way to do it.

That’s why I made my offer. Sometimes, trying to get a simple, direct answer around here is like pulling teeth.

I service my rig. I am happy to share with you what is involved. Start to finish. If you need help. Otherwise, happy sidecar riding!
Apologies Scott. I honestly thought you were kidding me. I had a Honda Valkyrie for about ten years (six carbs). Syncing them was a laborious process something like tuning a guitar.

I see what you are talking about, and again, I apologize for the misunderstanding.
2016 Grey Metallic Gear Up, "Lexi" (CV-16)

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:25 pm

OleanderSalad wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:21 am
I'm riding around at low speed on the spare and Im only up to 145 Km at this point, but I think I want to do my own 500 Km service if possible and avoid driving it to Austin, and waiting for days or weeks for them to get around to it.

First interval is just Oil, Filter, and final drive oil, and the owners manual makes all that look pretty straightforward. I just worry about being able to cover all the inspection points. I think I have a feeler gauge, but I haven't seen it in years.

What would an experienced Ural owner do if he had a no-warranty Ural with a gimp pusher and it was coming up on the post break-in service interval?

A. Ride or have it hauled ($$$) it to the closest Ural shop (about 130 miles away).
B. Spend the trailer money on a filter, some oils, and a few tools you might not have (feeler gauges, etc.)---and just do it yourself in the comfort of your own driveway, hopefully with the love and support of the good people on Soviet Steeds.
C. Something else that I haven't thought of.
It's 3 years old and been stood all that time. Forget 500k service I'd want to check everything.

EVERYTHING

As a guide, look at the 10,000 km interval in the manual and use your own judgment. E.g. shouldn't need new spark plugs but at least look at them. Ditto air filter etc. At least you'll learn how to take it out :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:28 pm

OleanderSalad wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:11 pm
Any tips on stopping the instrument from fogging up?

I'm thinking the fog makes it more of a mystery than it needs to be.
It's caused by the heat of the two filament bulbs inside. What I did was replace them with LED equivalents. Problem solved. Altho it can also be caused by the sun heatng it up too. Weird but true. :o
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Eric N
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Eric N » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:33 pm

OleanderSalad wrote:
Eric N wrote:

My bad, used the word "carbs" instead of "EFI". You have two independent EFI units on your bike that need to be synchronized. With carbs, it's easy to hookup a Twinmax or similar to balance them, with the Electrojet units on the 2014-2018 Urals, it's hacking your own version of the factory tool.

Long thread on how to do it is: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=47343

If the EFI units are out of balance, bike will run wonky. At idle, it will feel like shoes in a w@$#ing machine.

The adjustment is by an adjustment screw on the bottom of the housings that adjusts the butterfly. With the tool hooked up to a laptop, you'll be able to read the EFI pressures and be able to set idle, synch both sides at idle, and synch at throttle.

You're welcome to think I'm screwing with you. Lots of posts by people who either messed it up or have idle issues.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold