A cautionary tale

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
eastbloc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

A cautionary tale

Post by eastbloc » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:33 pm

Earlier this year, I had been doing some work to the '02 Patrol, replacing damaged pistons and repairing the heads. Once I got it back together I noticed the timing gear gasket needed to be replaced, so I did that as well. Everything seemed to be running fine in the shop, so I decided to take it for a spin around the block.

A few minutes into the test ride, the motor seized solid. Rats! I pushed the bike back up the hill to my place and put it back in the dock.

I finally got around this week to pulling the motor and inspecting what had happened. I never had this bike running before, it came to me in pieces and the PO had thought something was knackered with the crank, but I figured I'd start with the top end (which had obvious damage from ingesting a piece of metal into the combustion chamber) and see what happened.

Well, this turned out to be an "own goal". Apparently, when I replaced the timing cover gasket, I didn't pay close enough attention to lining up the slot in the breather with the pin on the timing gear. Instead, the pin was lined up with one of the channels in the breather. There is not enough clearance for the breather to rotate without interference from the timing gear cover. I'm surprised I was able to button it down like that at all.

You can see this resulted in a lot of heat and friction before the breather seized against the timing gear cover. I'm surprised it didn't make more noise.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this piece of buffoonery for your amusement and edification. As they say, until you're ready to look foolish, you'll never have the possibility of being great.

Here's a few pics of the resulting damage. Fortunately this is not a difficult fix. The engine spins freely now and appears to be in good shape otherwise. And having the motor out enabled me to discover that the clutch splines were on their last legs, so it was worth it.
breather1.jpg
breather2.jpg
breather3.jpg
splines.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic
'09 BMW F800GS

sKiZo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: A cautionary tale

Post by sKiZo » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:47 pm

I'll have to add this to my list of things not to do to mine ... <G>

Good to see it's working out, and also a big plus you having the know how to get it done. :boogie:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

URALNUT60
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by URALNUT60 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:52 pm

Put mine together dry when I rebuilt mine turned it over on the bench and it was binding took apart pin was in right location took scotchbrite to opening and breather till everything seemed smooth, coated with grease buttoned back up and was fine, spend a little extra replace clutch plates and springs with 750 parts better quality, $150 for everything, Crawford Cycle will take care of you, replace release rod also $11

scottmastrocinque
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by scottmastrocinque » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:45 pm

Whoops! It happens to everyone if you wrench often enough!
2017 Ural Gear Up Sahara
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2009 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2008 Piaggio MP3 400ie
2007 Piaggio X9 500 Evoluzione
1997 Moto Guzzi V10 Centauro

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all, life is too short to be anything but happy."

URALNUT60
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by URALNUT60 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:07 pm

Food for thought being you have it tore down that far maybe remove rear bearing carrier and check condition of rear bearing and replace oil seal with viton oil seal plus you get a good look inside as to any metal particles of something going south

eastbloc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by eastbloc » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:25 pm

URALNUT60 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:07 pm
Food for thought being you have it tore down that far maybe remove rear bearing carrier and check condition of rear bearing and replace oil seal with viton oil seal plus you get a good look inside as to any metal particles of something going south
Yup, it’s on the to-do list already.
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic
'09 BMW F800GS

VWK75S
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by VWK75S » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:57 am

eastbloc wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:33 pm
lining up the slot in the breather with the pin on the timing gear.
Wonder if there's a better way to vent the pressure :roll:
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 155,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles