what is meant by refreshing a starter

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
jvan1954
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

what is meant by refreshing a starter

Post by jvan1954 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:32 pm

what does the term "refreshing" a starter mean?
Jerry Van

there is no problem so complex, nor situation so dire, that its solution can not be found in the skillful application of high explosives.
Ride a 2013 tourist that I call "the ural"

tparr

Re: what is meant by refreshing a starter

Post by tparr » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:50 pm

perhaps spraying it with Febreze? :D
download.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013 Gear Up, Forrest Fog
new to me in 2018, 19,995 km

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by dneprlover » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:03 pm

Cleaning and refurbishing it.
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m , MB750 and a standard MT10-36 outfit + 2 large sheds full of spares for them.

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:52 pm

Tomcatfixer, I believe, posted photos in a thread a while back on cleaning his starter
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:46 pm

Changing brushes, cleaning communicator, changing starter drive gear or both gears?
Solenoid return spring...
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (Боевая Машина Десанта)

The rest is just history.

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:57 pm

the old ones tended to rust internally. mine needed "refreshing" every couple years until I gave up on it. Newer (2017-on) Urals have better starters.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

rivers

Post by rivers » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:09 pm

If you're in the US it pretty much just means thoroughly clean the dirt, rust, carbon dust, crud out of the starter. New repair/rebuild parts are not avail from Ural. Only new starters are avail through the dealers. A good auto-electric shop may(?) be able to source existing other brand parts and work them into your Russian starter but their time/labor is expensive. I'm guessing yours isn't working as it should? On pre 016 or 017(?) Urals I HIGHLY suggest disassembling and mucking out the starter every few years or at first signs of sluggishness. These starters are pretty heavy built and tough but are huge water/dirt trap storage containers and need regular cleaning/serving. If yours is beyond help upgrade to the newer type(016+?) rather than replacing with the earlier type.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

jvan1954

Post by jvan1954 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:49 pm

thanks to all who responded, I had never heard the term. mine is working fine and I normally kick start it anyway but am replacing the battery and might as well service the starter while i'm at it. I learned on my pan that kicking is the best way to monitor how well things are working on a day to day basis.This is my first ural, so picking you folks brains through this forum has made the process of getting this beast going much smoother than it would have been without you so Thanks again
Jerry Van

there is no problem so complex, nor situation so dire, that its solution can not be found in the skillful application of high explosives.

sKiZo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by sKiZo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:00 pm

Sorry ... sharing my refreshment with my starter is a non starter, eh.

But ya ... I expect it has something to do with a rebuild and clean. Most of these things can accumulate quite a bit of crud around the brushes. Those are also the major wear item and should be replaced if your beast ain't got the get up and go it used to have.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

jvan1954

Post by jvan1954 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:35 pm

being new to this process I just want to be sure that i replied correctly so that all know i appreciate the help. should I reply to each person that wrote? or as I did this time just once. i'm not at all a computer dude and just want to do right. Thanks
Jerry Van

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:53 pm

A new starter motor was introduced for model year 2016.

https://www.imz-ural.com/whats-new

jvan1954 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:35 pm
being new to this process I just want to be sure that i replied correctly so that all know i appreciate the help. should I reply to each person that wrote? or as I did this time just once. i'm not at all a computer dude and just want to do right. Thanks
This site doesn't have a multi-quote feature, so in a case like yours where general thanks are offered, your single post is the easiest way to get the word out. It will be seen by all and sundry.

In those instances where you see a forum member commingle several quotes in a single post, in order to provide discrete feedback, that had to be done manually via copying and pasting. Tedious, but sometimes worth the effort.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

jvan1954

Post by jvan1954 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:33 pm

thanks john, like I said I'm not much of a computer guy and I just want to ensure I'm doing right. Sincerely dude, I'm not at all sure I would have gotten this rascal running if I hadn't found this forum. The guy that had it before me had it all messed up and while I'm game I'm not a mechanic. I was able to do so much research thru you all that it made all the difference and I appreciate it. I now live on this bike and love it. Quick story, an elderly gentleman literally chased me down to tell me that after WW2 there was no gas to be had in the ukraine so he ran one of these on kerosene cut with naptha. The more I learn about this machine the more impressed I am with it. See you on the road my friend
Jerry Van

xpatriot

Post by xpatriot » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:37 pm

Even if you don't fully refresh it, as rivers notes, it's not hard and well worth taking it off and cleaning, lubricating it every couple of years depending on your driving habits (rain / snow / mud or none of the above).

An ounce of prevention as they say.
2001 Patrol with ‘03 Wolf motor “The Beast of the East”

RC20

Post by RC20 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:21 pm

Quick story, an elderly gentleman literally chased me down to tell me that after WW2 there was no gas to be had in the ukraine so he ran one of these on kerosene cut with naptha. The more I learn about this machine the more impressed I am with it. See you on the road my friend
Up into after WWII, most US Tractors were designed to run on Kerosene (and not diesel, carburetor)

Why? Gasoline across the US was iffy available particularity rural and the quality was all over the map though it was better in cities.

If the engine is designed for it, they will run on Kerosene. Widely available and a know quality.

My wife started getting me tractor books a few years back and it was fascinating reading.

Wood fired rigs in WWII are also interesting, basically the smoke was distilled and you got a god awful fuel out of it that ran the engine. ungh.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

RC20

Post by RC20 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:25 pm

Jvan:

If you could go into your profile and list your rig ID as well as where you are, always helpful to get the picture of someone machine and region.

For example, rust would not be an issue in Arizona but Louisiana would be a bid factor.

If you need help PM me and will walk you through it. Some of its a bit obscure as to where and how it appears for you location and the machine ID.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems