Running rich Raceway needles

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Mike Robinson
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Running rich Raceway needles

Post by Mike Robinson » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:22 pm

Howdy

Jets 40/130, clean air filter, balanced carbs

I have the raceway needles set to the same length as the standard needles.

I am running rich - black sooty plugs, otherwise runs very well.

What could I do you get the plugs more brown? I have read that I can adjust the needles. Is it shorter needles, less fuel?

Ideas welcome!

Thanks

Mike
2010 Patrol T
1987 BMW R65 Mono
2016 Triumph Scrambler

Msblu79
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Running rich Raceway needles

Post by Msblu79 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:26 pm

Lowering the needle leans the mix, raising it will richen the mix. Drop it one notch at a time and run it for a while and see what the plugs look like.
2010 Black Patrol 92,000km's
Modtop airbox, 2013 branch pipes, Perch rings, Yamaha petcock, Drilled slides, Gossie needles, 145 mains, 45 pilots, insulated manifolds, Modtop pushrods, Dual FMF exhaust, PA Multi-spark system w/ VOES, Spin on filter conversion, 33mpg, Royal Purple fluids.

Ajax
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Ajax » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:35 pm

Having the clip higher on the needle will lean it out as the needle will start off in a lower position. Having the clip lower on the needle will richen it as the needle will be in a higher starting position.

I would look into a Colortune plug. It really helped me sort out the carb jetting and adjustments.

http://www.gunson.co.uk/tech-torque/Col ... on-chamber

Also check out the Carb section of the How to.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28897
2004 Tourist (new to me 2018 @ 48k km) 65k km crank bearing went out (Tug sold as project)
2004 Tourist chair hacked to a 2004 BMW R1150 GS Adventure
2018 Gear Up that I have the pleasure of maintaining for the girlfriend

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:44 pm

when I was adjusting mine I ran at least a tank of gas between each tweak, noting mileage, general driveability, ease of starting, etc. I'd raise the clip one notch and see what happens. Jets seem well chosen for a stock set up.
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now an 87 K75s, DB Haanjo gravel bike, and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

rivers

Post by rivers » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:59 pm

You checking plug color after a spirited ride or after it's been idling awhile? At idle or low speed bimbling around town will soot up your plugs. You need to go make a decent hwy run to clean any minor soot off. At idle or low speed (<1/3-1/2 throttle opening(?) you're running mainly on the idle jet circuit and fouling plugs. Beware of the old school plug color charts found in every old USA shop manual. The desirable old tan - coffee w/ cream color doesn't really apply to todays modern unleaded fuels. Tan today is now "too" lean and you're shooting for pretty much just "clean".
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."