New battery time?

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
RC20
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: New battery time?

Post by RC20 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:42 pm

Wildhorse Cafe wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:14 pm
Batteries start to die the second after they are manufactured. Five years is a good run. Any battery is suspect after two years.
Mostly wrong. They do start a long slow (if they are any good mfg) from day one, but it depends on all sorts of variable as to life.

My F-250 battery is 15 years old. Cold weather while it creates less chemistry activity for go pup, also preserves them.

Under the hood in Arizona, Nevada etc, that can be an issue. Then it depends on how much how hot etc. Still 3 years.

Ural is open so it gets lets heat beating. 5 to 10 would not be abnormal for a cycle battery.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

RC20

Re: New battery time?

Post by RC20 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:46 pm

I think you have a starter/cable/connection relay issue not a battery issue.

A load test is the very best you can do and if it passes, then the chemistry is doing its thing.

Your 10 mph voltage is a bit suspected, it should be full 14.8. Only an issue if idling a lot.

Lmo wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:07 pm
1 - The Westco WCP15L 14aH/220CCA AGM battery in my rig is at least five years old. It's been performing well until very recently;
a - it sits on a digital battery 'maintainer' and will start the bike first thing in the morning.
b - it will start the bike, with the electric starter, after a 10+ mile cruise at 'highway speed'.
c - it will then fail to start the bike after a second stop ( i.e. running into the market ).
d - it kick starts with one kick.

2 - The alternator is making;
a - 11.49V 2 idle*
b - 12.8 above idle ( say 10mph in first gear )
c - 14.8V 'at speed'

3 - I had it load tested at O'Reilly Auto Parts and, surprisingly, it tests 'Good'

Regardless of load test, I think it's new battery time.

What says the collective?

* I didn't have my Harmonizer available to monitor RPM, but I would estimate 800-1000 RPM.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems