The Finer Points of Brake Adjustment

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar

Re: The Finer Points of Brake Adjustment

Post by tgtrotter » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:04 am

I'll go with WildhorseCafe on this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41869

Exactly how I've done mine. I know I read advice from this site after noticing my rear braking diminish. That little pull to the right is good knowing it's there. I travel more with a monkey and with a pull on the front lever evens it out if I'm solo.

My 2 cents on drums vs disc.. Well 3 cents. I hated three drums on my 2000 650 T. One of the many reasons I traded up to an '07. Disc imho are better and easier to maintain. And they work better.

Prob the same folks who are happy with the performance of drums are happy with the performance of carbs. Old school, kewl skool. Either way they both work. But there is no argument IMZ progressed to discs and efi.

Van, you're right. Brakes on a Ural ¿?. :lol: Unless of course you're off-roading and trials style. Or maybe just want a little extra help stopping.

:beerchug: done
Tim
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

BlueRockCrawler
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: The Finer Points of Brake Adjustment

Post by BlueRockCrawler » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:41 am

dneprlover wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:59 pm
That would kill their off road capability in snow or mud. Go even safer and fit traction control. Then watch sales fall off the roof
Why would ABS kill it's off road ability? Whipping around a turn on a 2 wheel dirt bikes, sliding the rear is a valid technique but I don't see how this is good thing with these things. Seems like a sideways Ural could quickly turn into a Ural on it's side when brakes are involved. OTOH, I've seen where spinning the tires, keeping your line straight, and keeping the revs steady up a hill in the snow or through sugar sand in the Pine Barrens can keep forward momentum and I'm not sure TCS stepping in and limiting slip would be a good thing there with such limited torque to work with.
2015 Ural Patrol
1993 Suzuki DR 650
2018 Suzuki DR 650
previous Honda's were
1996 750 Magna
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna