Fuzzy Oil Drain Plugs

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Fuzzy Oil Drain Plugs

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:15 pm

Yeah, I think the same but different is a good way to describe it. I'll bet the same thing is experienced in the winter months. I noticed a difference in shifting when I ran the bike late into the winter before the first snow came.

My bike is still leak free with the Sta-Lube versus the "freu freu" oil. I always used to laugh at the oil thread where folks warned that syn oils will make your engine leak. Well, it certainly would appear that it made my tranny leak.

That last quart of Royal Purple will be my last encounter with the "freu freu" oils. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :wink:
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar

Post by tgtrotter » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:27 am

jaybird wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:40 pm
Tomcatfixer wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:16 am
jaybird wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:12 am
Rob, how do you find the 75W90 compares to the 20W50 shifting wise?

Happy trails,
Jaybird
I'm curious about this as well. 🤔
I decided to arrive at my own conclusions.
Since my Retro was due for oil changes anyway, I decided to try a transmission full of GL 85/140, none of that red or purple “Freu freu”oil, but good old DinoWally Blue :lol:
So far I’ve put 200kilos on the rig today, the best I can describe the shifting is, the same but different, it still clunks into gear, but the clunks are “softer”, the transmission may be a bit quieter as well.
I’d say, give it a try, it’s only a quart of oil.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
+1. For a quart of oil, yes. Don't like it, then change it out. Try it for 2500 kms., probly hurt nuthin' , my guess.
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:42 am

tgtrotter wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:27 am
jaybird wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:40 pm
Tomcatfixer wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:16 am
jaybird wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:12 am
Rob, how do you find the 75W90 compares to the 20W50 shifting wise?

Happy trails,
Jaybird
I'm curious about this as well. 🤔
I decided to arrive at my own conclusions.
Since my Retro was due for oil changes anyway, I decided to try a transmission full of GL 85/140, none of that red or purple “Freu freu”oil, but good old DinoWally Blue :lol:
So far I’ve put 200kilos on the rig today, the best I can describe the shifting is, the same but different, it still clunks into gear, but the clunks are “softer”, the transmission may be a bit quieter as well.
I’d say, give it a try, it’s only a quart of oil.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
+1. For a quart of oil, yes. Don't like it, then change it out. Try it for 2500 kms., probly hurt nuthin' , my guess.
I wound up doing around 300Kilos running errands yesterday, I wrote the above while sitting in the diner having a bite to eat. It was a mixture of distance and stop/go, the difference was favorable but nothing to get excited about.
I think it would be worthwhile to try one of the premium oils that Rob/SnakeOil mentions above.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:54 pm

My tranny still leaks, but I don't think it is oil type related. The reverse shifter seal is the cuprit. I replaced it a few years ago. It's that damn oddball size 25x11.5x7mm. I revived an old thread I started last year where I asked for the size since I could not read the size on my seal with the lever in place.

I'm going to try a 25x11x7 seal which I will source tomorrow. It's not a common size. But BDI lists a couple in that size. I'm going to try Kaman since they have a facility where I currently am. Otherwise, the bike seems to be dry as a popcorn phardt since I w@$#ed it down last week. Looks like I'm going to have to lift the hack up and set it on blocks so I can clean out the seal bore before putting in the new seal. Want to coat the OD with Hylomar to assure no leaks around the OD.

Getting back to shifting. When the bike is cold, it shifts without grinding much better than when warm. So, I'm thinking of bumping up the tranny oil to an 80W145. The theory is the thicker oil slows the tranny down quicker for cleaner shifts. It will have to be a GL5, but I don't think that's an issue. Not aware of any yellow metal parts in the Ural tranny.
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:35 pm

Closing the loop on this one, too. The little gooseneck I installed into the tranny vent plug seems to have done the job. Bone dry to the touch after several rides.

Today, installed a 0.5mm smaller seal on the reverse shifter shaft and changed out the 80W90 oil for 80W140 oil. Will see if shifting changed (doubtful) and if the leak out the reverse shaft seal is fixed.

By the way, the oil I took out which was only a few weeks old, look like the day I put it into the tranny. I could have put it right back in but never wiped out the drain pan.
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:20 pm

I'm currently running 85W-140 gear oil in my Patrol and I can't tell the difference between it and the 20W-50 motor oil I was previously using.
-
eQ20E.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:26 pm

After about 1000 Kilometers I’m going with no discernible difference, although for S&G I might try one of the fancy red or purple oils when it comes time for the next change just to see what I’m missing.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:12 am

The difference between motoroil and gear oil are the additives that prevent shear and the EP additives that help keep some oil between the active faces of gear teeth. I was hoping that a slightly heavier viscosity gear oil would slow down the tranny during shifting to make them smoother.

Another side note here. I noticed something that I think contributed to my reverse shaft leak. I did not look closely, because I wanted to get the job finished and eat dinner. But what I noticed was there the pocket where the seal goes does not appear to have an oil return port at the bottom. So, oil that does get into the pocket by travelling along the shaft cannot return to the tranny and is trapped in the lower half of the pocket. I need to revisit the photos that Chad provided to see if I can drill a small return port if I have to replace this seal again. I've not read of others having an issue with this seal leaking. But it may only be an issue for older, pre-750 trannies. Guess we'll see over time. I did buy two seals just in case.
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:16 pm

The only oil I've noticed any difference with was Redline heavy duty shockproof.......because it's 75w250.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

Msblu79
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Msblu79 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:13 pm

Perhaps the bore that the seal sits in is slightly oversize or out of round enough for oil to work itself around the outside of the seal and leak. Some one else here had a block that had a passage that wasn't drilled thru and had several bearing failures until they found out why, it may be possible that the drain hole did not get drilled at the factory. Try putting some sealer around the outside of the seal, if you have it out again, and press it back in and see if it helps. :)
2010 Black Patrol 92,000km's
Modtop airbox, 2013 branch pipes, Perch rings, Yamaha petcock, Drilled slides, Gossie needles, 145 mains, 45 pilots, insulated manifolds, Modtop pushrods, Dual FMF exhaust, PA Multi-spark system w/ VOES, Spin on filter conversion, 33mpg, Royal Purple fluids.

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Try putting some sealer around the outside of the seal
Yeah, that's SOP for me. I used Motoseal on the last seal and Hylomar on this one. I had already confirmed it was seeping between the shaft and the seal and not the OD of the seal and the case.

Appreciate the suggestion just the same.
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains

tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar

Post by tgtrotter » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:20 am

After watching Rauls video from this topic
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54738
I thought to myself he was forcing his shifts somewhat. However I recently been shifting my 07 Patrol a little more hurried than my usual one and two count shift and find it "feels" tighter. Just a perception imo. Running 15/40 Delo and have no complaints other than what has been said about clunky and loose Ural shifting and gear boxes.

Oh and by the way Rob, I concur. Any amount of fuzz or metallic sheen is cause for thought. I remember the oil in my my old Cummins 350 at 750k looking pretty shiny. Recently I did the initial 20 hr change on a new Onan QR Generator. no evidence of fuzz but the oil was darker than the replacement and did have a very noticeable shiny metallic sheen. I didn't do your magnet idea. Made a note in my book to see if oil next change looks same or better than break-in. If so investigate further.

Thanks for your post.
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P