2010 CDI wild green wire?

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Ratpatrol

2010 CDI wild green wire?

Post by Ratpatrol » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:15 pm

While troubleshooting an intermittent short on my 2010 Taiga (gear-up), I came across a green wire with no apparent purpose that has been spliced in at the connector between the sensor on the block and the green wire leading to the leading to the CDI. It was in the headlamp shell and zip tied so it went there.

I replaced the key switch and it ran fine, did a few more checks and now it runs like crap. A sniff test on the sealed Ducati CDI 406020 says burnt electrics inside. The 2010 diagram from the IMZ site doesn't explain much about the CDI, yellow and brown feeding the CDI and and green, red and black going to the sensor?

If that is the case, the wires all have continuity from the sensor, why was a wire soldered onto the connector between CDI and sensor? Some external test?

Thanks for your ideas.
2016 BMW F700GS
2010 Ural Taiga
Bloomington, Indiana
"It's so lonesome in the saddle since my horse died."

jeffsaline
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: 2010 CDI wild green wire?

Post by jeffsaline » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:44 pm

The green wire on the hall effect sensor is the OUT signal. Maybe it was going to be used for the signal wire to a tachometer.

Just to finish the conversation about wire colors... on the hall effect sensor the red wire is Vcc or power supply. The black wire is ground.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Ratpatrol

Re: 2010 CDI wild green wire?

Post by Ratpatrol » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:45 am

Ahh, that explains it then. Appreciate your quick response!

Randy
2016 BMW F700GS
2010 Ural Taiga
Bloomington, Indiana
"It's so lonesome in the saddle since my horse died."