Had to ride home in 1 or 2 gear

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
africalight
Party Member
Party Member

Had to ride home in 1 or 2 gear

Post by africalight » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:03 pm

Hello all,

Been a while since I posted on here. Had a heap of trouble getting back on the bike the last couple of years. Burned clutch plates, new ignition system, rusted gas tank, clogged and growing carbs.

Got to teach my 8 yr old daughter how to clean carbs and replace the gas tank. That was worth owning a Ural in my eyes. We have had the bike running nicely for about two weeks now. Got the kids helmets and been having a blast. Up until today’s ride home from church.

On the way home heard sort of a squeal coming from the engine. Then all of a sudden the clutch lever went slack. First thought was broke the cable. Nope all intact. Got rolling in first and was able to gear up to second(think I got lucky on the timing cuz it ain’t synced ) and ride home like that in second. It was a leisurely drive. Had a couple of stop signs that I couldn’t roll through and had to stop the bike with the engine kill switch.

Looks like the clutch lever is moving a the back of the engine but the thrust bearing isn’t releasing. She shifted into first and second and had power so I think the cutch plates are still good. Guessing I will be looking into the thrust bearing replacement that i’ve read about.

While ordeal made for an interesting time for the kids. Now I get to teach another system on the ural to the girls.
2006 Patrol-Totally Rebuilt Engine and going through break in again

Waffl6
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Had to ride home in 1 or 2 gear

Post by Waffl6 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:34 am

Wow...did I write this post...???????

Your issue is EXACTLY the same as my current issue. See my post about it, with the exact same circumstances and description, here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54225

Everyone has said that it is likely to be warped clutch plates. I pulled my thrust bearing/clutch release rod and everything inside looked great. You can see photos of mine in that thread.

My rig is currently in a state of full disassembly: Image

I got all the way to the gearbox removal yesterday. Later today I will be tackling the rest of the removal and hopefully finally have my answer to whether or not the clutch plates are warped.

I'll keep you updated my friend.
Last edited by Waffl6 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Probably the youngest guy in the room.

Current bikes: 1987 Rebel 250, 1990 Ninja 500, 2009 Honda Shadow 750, 2006 CBR600F4I, 2011 Ural Patrol T - A real POS

Past bikes: 1994 Katana 600

Fairfax Virginia

Peter Pan
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: Heredia, Costa Rica/screwing the heck out of the hack

Post by Peter Pan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:02 am

By the way, it is easier and much faster to take out the engine together with gearbox then the gearbox alone.
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

africalight
Party Member
Party Member

Post by africalight » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:07 am

Man It sounds like your case exactly. So I’m going to start with the thrust bearing and bar and hope I am just lucky.

I can’t see the clutch plates being bad already. I’ve only got about 400km on the new plates. I really don’t want to tear into that again so soon.

Waffl, I will keep an eye on your posts closely. Thanks for the heads up.

Waffl6

Post by Waffl6 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:56 pm

africalight wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:07 am
Man It sounds like your case exactly. So I’m going to start with the thrust bearing and bar and hope I am just lucky.

I can’t see the clutch plates being bad already. I’ve only got about 400km on the new plates. I really don’t want to tear into that again so soon.

Waffl, I will keep an eye on your posts closely. Thanks for the heads up.
In an effort to keep you updated on my situation, I am here to tell you I was unsuccessful in removing those damned screws today. They are a real pain in the a$$ and not even my biggest screwdriver was capable of loosening them. So...I will be removing the engine and taking it somewhere to have nuts or bolts welded on in order to remove these.

Unfortunately I will not be able to even begin removing the engine until sometime next week, so you may choose to go ahead and start tearing things apart on your end...

FWIW It smells burnt in there, so I'm banking on that at this point.

Current bikes: 1987 Rebel 250, 1990 Ninja 500, 2009 Honda Shadow 750, 2006 CBR600F4I, 2011 Ural Patrol T - A real POS

Fairfax Virginia

jeffsaline

Post by jeffsaline » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:20 am

Did you try a hand impact driver? If you don't have one you can get one at Harbor Freight for a reasonable cost. At the same time you can by a big hammer if you don't have one now.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Waffl6

Post by Waffl6 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:50 pm

jeffsaline wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:20 am
Did you try a hand impact driver? If you don't have one you can get one at Harbor Freight for a reasonable cost. At the same time you can by a big hammer if you don't have one now.

Best,

Jeff
I did indeed buy a hand impact screwdriver. Unfortunately with the limited space caused by the frame rails on either side it is impossible to get a full, good hammer swing in.

Fairfax Virginia

Peter Pan
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: Heredia, Costa Rica/screwing the heck out of the hack

Post by Peter Pan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:39 pm

on 2 clutches (out of 3) I had to weld nuts on top of some of the screwed up clutch cover screws. Often the thread is good but the allen gets round. Best you buy good 12.6 grade screws.
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

africalight
Party Member
Party Member

Post by africalight » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:59 pm

Waffl,
Thanks for keeping me in the loop on your progress. It looks like I can’t start ripping into mine until Friday. I did just replace my clutch pack so if it is down to that I may have an easier time with the screws than you are. When I ripped into mine before I bungled the screws up pretty good and had to buy new ones.

I saw a video on here not too long ago where an owner with an orange bike was having the same noise. I didn’t pay much attention at the time but now I am wondering what his outcome was. Been reading that either the spline is shot or the teeth ripped off the plate. Still hoping that I get lucky with the thust bearing🤪

Waffl6

Post by Waffl6 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:48 am

africalight wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:59 pm
Waffl,
Thanks for keeping me in the loop on your progress. It looks like I can’t start ripping into mine until Friday. I did just replace my clutch pack so if it is down to that I may have an easier time with the screws than you are. When I ripped into mine before I bungled the screws up pretty good and had to buy new ones.

I saw a video on here not too long ago where an owner with an orange bike was having the same noise. I didn’t pay much attention at the time but now I am wondering what his outcome was. Been reading that either the spline is shot or the teeth ripped off the plate. Still hoping that I get lucky with the thust bearing🤪
Africa,

I attempted removal via left hand drill bits and a few other methods today. Nothing worked.

My engine is pulled, awaiting transport to a welder.

Looks like we're both going to know what is going on, on Friday. Hopefully it's just your thrust bearing but me...it's the clutch. You can smell it.

Fairfax Virginia

URALNUT60
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by URALNUT60 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:16 am

When you put screws in last time did you use red loctite? If so butane torch to loosen them up some

africalight
Party Member
Party Member

Post by africalight » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:43 am

So I got special permissions to dive into the Ural today. Really the wife wanted me to stop being so distracted by what MAY have happened. She told me this morning to go to the garage and dont come out until you have figured it out. So off I went...

Got the clutch release lever off quickly (there is a video of another guy doing it on youtube that really helped. You can find it in the helpful info section).

Pulled the slider mechanism. Immediately started seeing problems. First problem was that I didnt have a bearing in between the slider and the thrust bushing piece at all. OK so not looking good at this point. Pulled the thrust bushing out and it was smashed down onto the clutch release rod. Then I inspected the thrust bushing. Oh my... it looks like a needle point. See below. Then I looked inside the slider and found a smashed piece of what I think is the end of the thrust bushing. Next comes an inspection of the clutch release rod. The end is really smashed down from the thrust bushing.
Smaller shot 1.jpg
IMG_0926.JPG
Smaller shot 2.jpg
IMG_0923.JPG
IMG_0922.JPG
Smaller shot 3.jpg
So I guess my first step is to replace all this with the proper parts, then see if I blew anything else in the clutch up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:45 pm

I'm confused, where are the ball bearings? :?

Example here - click on picture to zoom:

https://russiangarage.com/product_info. ... ucts_id=68
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:48 pm

Oh wait you said there wasn't a bearing. Someone didn't put one in (?)
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

africalight
Party Member
Party Member

Post by africalight » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:25 pm

Yeah that is what I found. No bearing at all. Explains a bunch of stuff though. I got 400km on it without a bearing. Who has the cheapest kit for a 2006? I’ve been looking at the eBay stuff but not sure if the old style is what I want.