Balancing Carbs , red hot header... smoke!

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Msblu79
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Balancing Carbs , red hot header... smoke!

Post by Msblu79 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:17 am

The idle mixture screws get set to 1.5 turns from lightly bottomed to start off. The idle speed screws are on the side of the carb and adjust the throttle plate cam to get the desired idle speed. There should be cable slack adjusters on each carb just above the cam where the cable attaches. Make sure there is enough slack that the cams can sit on the idle screw otherwise you will never get it to idle right. Adjust those screws with the Twinmax to balance the idle equally at roughly 1000rpm. Then, using the Twinmax, begin slowly increasing the throttle and adjust the cable slack so that both slides lift at the same time and evenly. Do not rev it very high, no need, if the slides start out even they will stay that way to full throttle. The Twinmax will show you which side is lagging behind if at all. Only adjust the idle mixture screws out some if there is a lot of popping during off throttle decel, just open them a little bit at a time until the popping clears up. That should get you close enough to run it safely and not hurt the motor. My idle screws are at 2 turns to get mine happy. It will take some practice and time to get the hang of it all but just keep playing and you will get the idea, let the motor cool off every now & then or use fans to keep it from overheating. :)
2010 Black Patrol 92,000km's
Modtop airbox, 2013 branch pipes, Perch rings, Yamaha petcock, Drilled slides, Gossie needles, 145 mains, 45 pilots, insulated manifolds, Modtop pushrods, Dual FMF exhaust, PA Multi-spark system w/ VOES, Spin on filter conversion, 33mpg, Royal Purple fluids.

VWK75S

Post by VWK75S » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:21 pm

glacoste wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:53 am
Yes.. new to Urals. Never had a motorcycle before.
I've always liked Urals. Looked at photos for 5 years before finding this one.
Thanks for all the info. Got some research to do.
Where in NH are you?
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 145,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

glacoste

Post by glacoste » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi John, I am in Claremont.
Glen
2013 Gear-up

sKiZo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by sKiZo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:30 pm

One problem is I can't get enough slack from throttle cables which only gives me limited adjustment.

Another item for your maintenance list. Start the motor and swing the bars stop to stop and see if there's any change in motor speed - not a good thing. If it's the stock cables, might be something as simple as re-routing the cables to provide the correct slack.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

glacoste

Post by glacoste » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:19 pm

Thanks for the info.
I did install new cables. I was able to do the timing as well. Balancing was much easier after that and everything just fell into place.
2013 Gear-up