Final drive breakdown - repair or replace help

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
wildhair523
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Final drive breakdown - repair or replace help

Post by wildhair523 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Got it - thanks.
Born OK the First Time!
"Do not go wherever the path leads. Instead, go where there is no path and leave a trail " Emerson

2000 Yamaha RSV
2013 Ural T - "Trece Suerte" - Lucky 13

wildhair523
Party Member
Party Member

Post by wildhair523 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:59 pm

Final follow-up - new final drive installed, no problems. I got the driveshaft lined up the best I could with the U-joint yoke. Everything greased & added the 3.5 oz. 80-90 wt gear oil to the FD.

I also put on a new tire & tube (hadn't done that before), adjusted rear brakes, checked & adjusted tappets & torqued the head bolts. While it was immobile - I also cleaned the air filter & adjusted clutch lever free play, oil & trans oil checked.

I sent the damaged FD to Terry Crawford for rebuilding. I think I'm done. That's more mechanic work than I've done in may years.
Born OK the First Time!
"Do not go wherever the path leads. Instead, go where there is no path and leave a trail " Emerson

2000 Yamaha RSV

n3303j
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by n3303j » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:22 am

Can't believe the threads in the ring gear stripped out. That gear should be hardened.
Ron Cichowski

1998 Moto Guzzi V11 EV STOCK
1996/2014 Ural Sportsman.
Severely Upgraded, Modified and Remanufactured.
1977 Moto Guzzi 850 T3-FB ALMOST STOCK

wildhair523
Party Member
Party Member

Post by wildhair523 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:37 pm

Yeah - it surprised me when I split the case & looked inside. I finally got a chance to road test her today - feels smoother & tighter when shifting and accelerating. Running very nice. Brake adjustment seems good as well. Now to figure out some time when I can complete my quest.
Born OK the First Time!

2000 Yamaha RSV