Indicator lights short to ground

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
brookscooper
Party Member
Party Member

Indicator lights short to ground

Post by brookscooper » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:07 pm

So, I have an ‘04 Tourist.

So, I’ve developed a super weird electric issue. Does anyone have a good color wiring diagram for an ‘04 Tourist you could scan and email to me? Or a PDF of one? IMZ-USA has the diagrams but only back to ‘06: of course. And the ‘06 diagram is different to some extent and thus I don’t want to rely on it.

If you wish to speculate about my problem here’s what we’ve got: After the turn signals functioned just fine for the life of the bike I’ve now developed a short to ground. The left side +12 contacts that power the bulbs are short to ground, but only if there’s a bulb in the right front turn signal mount!! If that bulb is removed, all +12 contacts show open circuits, as they should. Slowly diagnosing but I’d prefer a map.

Clearly some wires are rubbed and touching, or some connector or its cover is goobered up but the less time I spend flailing around in the headlight bucket the better.
2004 Black / Chrome Tourist
Portland, OR

brookscooper
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Indicator lights short to ground

Post by brookscooper » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:16 pm

Or can you confirm that the wiring is same as a 2002? I have a good diagram for the 2002 750.
Portland, OR

cateyetech
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by cateyetech » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:29 pm

Screenshot (41).png
:foilhead:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie ╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
2003 Gear-Up Ромашка Мзй
765cc - Mikuni TM33 carburetors - Modified stock airbox with Uni foam filter
2-1 exhaust - Hand worked cylinder heads - Type V ignition system
A Warn XT17 witch that works from any angle - More handmade parts than I can list :foilhead:

The only Ural to post a second gear wheelie :evil:

2000 Patrol Teh Урал
Thanks DaveO, I'll try to ride it like you, I'll try :foilhead:

brookscooper
Party Member
Party Member

Post by brookscooper » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:46 pm

THANK YOU!
Portland, OR

cateyetech

Post by cateyetech » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:06 am

Hey bc

Your welcome :)
& good luck :cheers:

Our RF turn signal would quit working intermittently :?
& it was a break somewhere around the neck, where the loom flex's the most :cry:
so I just ran a wire from the head light bucket area to the loom going to the side car 8)

Yours may be shorting in that area :?:
if so I would recommend doing the same
instead of cutting the loom open and trying to repair it :evil:

:foilhead:
Charlie ╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
2003 Gear-Up Ромашка Мзй
765cc - Mikuni TM33 carburetors - Modified stock airbox with Uni foam filter
2-1 exhaust - Hand worked cylinder heads - Type V ignition system
A Warn XT17 witch that works from any angle - More handmade parts than I can list :foilhead:

The only Ural to post a second gear wheelie :evil:

2000 Patrol Teh Урал
Thanks DaveO, I'll try to ride it like you, I'll try :foilhead:

brookscooper
Party Member
Party Member

Post by brookscooper » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:19 pm

Yeah, I will be making 11X17 prints of the wiring diagrams (including yours) on the color printer in my office tomorrow and then will put some time into diagnosis this weekend but unless I find an obvious and easily repairable fault I will likely simply bypass the stock wiring, leaving it in place, and run my own wires to the 4 indicator locations. I'll report back for the good of all if I find my problem.

As a teaser: I popped open the connector that connects the left hand grip controls to the rest of the harness. Using the continuity function of the multiple meter I could produce intermittent connections between multiple pins in that connector that don't appear to have reason to be connected. The continuity only occurred when flexing it so there's a very good chance I have stripped / chafed wires in that part of the loom. And this plug does end up with some of its wires bundling and passing out beside the neck, which as you note, is the area of maximum mechanical stress on these wires. Fun times.
Portland, OR

brookscooper
Party Member
Party Member

Post by brookscooper » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:47 pm

So, after attacking this and then getting discouraged repeatedly I found the culprit. The wires that bring +12V from the turn signal switch to the sidecar side are purple. There are two purple wires stuffed into one connector of the mult-pin connector that connects the left switch gear to the harness. One goes to the sidecar, the other to the dash light. The stripped ends of those wires that are crimped into the connector are a bit too long. Over time (this is a 2004 after all) a strand or two of one of the wires broke and was making intermittent contact with adjacent wires, also too long for the crimp connectors. After disassembling the multi-pin on the wiring harness side, I cleaned it up / added electrical tape and put it back together.

Good news - back in operation. Good (I guess) news - I am now MUCH more familiar with the (incredibly crude) wiring harness of the 2004 Ural.

Also, added a dual gauge cylinder head temperature gauge to the bike so I can avoid (I hope) seizing a cylinder like I did last year. Nice to have the Russian pig back on the road!
Portland, OR