1999 650. Only firing one plug

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Adelphia
Comrade
Comrade

Re: 1999 650. Only firing one plug

Post by Adelphia » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:51 pm

jaybird wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:39 pm
I am also going to order the wrist pin reamer tool they have listed. I don't know how to use it or exactly what it's for, but I think I might need it to replace the bushings
Even though the kit comes with bushings, if the bushings you have are not worn out, you don't need to replace them.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
For me, It's a number of things.
1.) I hate CV carbs. I hate them a lot. I find them exponentially harder to setup. I can take the diaphragms out and put them 3 blocks away when I clean a carb and somehow, some way, they will STILL get carb cleaner on them. Every time without fail. They should all be cast into the sea.

2.) It was originally designed to have the carbs bolted to the head. I'm becoming a big fan of "as intended" in my old age.

3.) I have big dumb feet that hit things

As for those bushings. Are they matched? Do I reuse the old wristpins for wear and matching reasons? That would make my life easier.
Dustin
2019 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec - 1999 Tourist 650 - 1980 Honda CM200T

Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:29 pm

Adelphia wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:45 pm
Managed to break a compression ring. It snapped off in my hand while I was filing it so I assume it might have had a foot out the door to begin with. Ordering a new set.
IME piston rings are very brittle. The one and only time I've had to increase the gaps on any, I used a fine grindstone, not a file. Then push it into the bore and measure the gap with a feeler gauge. Remove, repeat ...
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

URALNUT60
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by URALNUT60 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:47 pm

I broke oil control ring while fileing, they do make a nice tool $60, ugh! As far as wrist pin fitment McMaster Carr 7/8 ball hone 240 grit in a cordless drill $18, makes it a easy job

Adelphia
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Adelphia » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:29 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:29 pm
Adelphia wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:45 pm
Managed to break a compression ring. It snapped off in my hand while I was filing it so I assume it might have had a foot out the door to begin with. Ordering a new set.
IME piston rings are very brittle. The one and only time I've had to increase the gaps on any, I used a fine grindstone, not a file. Then push it into the bore and measure the gap with a feeler gauge. Remove, repeat …
These are were very tight out of the box. Either at 0 or overbore. I'm using a very fine mini file I've used in the past with great success. The rings are just so gigantic that being brittle is definitely an issue.
Dustin
2019 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec - 1999 Tourist 650 - 1980 Honda CM200T