Clutch rod plunger and associated removal

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Clutch rod plunger and associated removal

Post by Subsnowden » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:55 pm

The thing should just pull out right?! Of course my extended warranty went out 6 days ago and my clutch no-workie. Probably my thrust bearing but I don’t know because I can’t the $&#%@& plunger out. Do I HAVE to remove the tranny?! I’m about to set my Ural on fire...
Jon
Nomad
2015 Ural Gear Up

Wildhorse Cafe
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Clutch rod plunger and associated removal

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:14 pm

Take a deep breath and read some haiku. Talk to your dealer and see what he is willing to do to keep you as a happy customer. You maybe surprised, or maybe not, but it is as good a place to start as any. Stay calm and make it a moment of Zen.
2011 Patrol, The Higgs Bison Super Collider, formally known as, the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, Chernaya Krasota, formally known as, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

Msblu79
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Msblu79 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:22 pm

It should just pull right out, Perhaps the o-ring has torn and jammed it up. Grip it carefully with some pliers and twist & pull on it and see if it comes out. :)
2010 Black Patrol 92,000km's
Modtop airbox, 2013 branch pipes, Perch rings, Yamaha petcock, Drilled slides, Gossie needles, 145 mains, 45 pilots, insulated manifolds, Modtop pushrods, Dual FMF exhaust, PA Multi-spark system w/ VOES, Spin on filter conversion, 33mpg, Royal Purple fluids.

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Subsnowden » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:11 pm

Msblu79 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:22 pm
It should just pull right out, Perhaps the o-ring has torn and jammed it up. Grip it carefully with some pliers and twist & pull on it and see if it comes out. :)
Yup. Got the smashed knuckles and blood-blister pinched fingers to prove it. Vice grips, angled needle nose, good channel locks, penetrating oil. I’m out of ideas and really don’t want to pull the tranny but it may go that route. I can get it about an 1/8 out but then cussing ensues.
Jon
Nomad
2015 Ural Gear Up

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Subsnowden » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:14 pm

Wildhorse Cafe wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:14 pm
Take a deep breath and read some haiku. Talk to your dealer and see what he is willing to do to keep you as a happy customer. You maybe surprised, or maybe not, but it is as good a place to start as any. Stay calm and make it a moment of Zen.
There aren’t enough haikus to calm our relationship down lol. And now that I’m out of warranty I’ll never go Plano again except for parts. I wish Storms was still open :cry: :cry: :cry:
Jon
Nomad
2015 Ural Gear Up

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:24 pm

Subsnowden wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:55 pm
The thing should just pull out right?! Of course my extended warranty went out 6 days ago and my clutch no-workie. Probably my thrust bearing but I don’t know because I can’t the $&#%@& plunger out. Do I HAVE to remove the tranny?! I’m about to set my Ural on fire...
you know IMZ has been known to be a little flexible on the warranty dates,might check it out 6 days isn't to much. besides you will be a happy Uralista. just throwing that out! :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:18 am

I grabbed one of the ears (which are on either side of the actuating lever) with some needle nose and rotated the plunger whilst pulling it out... wouldn’t come straight out but wiggling it a bit got it free...
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:39 pm

S 854 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:18 am
I grabbed one of the ears (which are on either side of the actuating lever) with some needle nose and rotated the plunger whilst pulling it out... wouldn’t come straight out but wiggling it a bit got it free...

+1
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Subsnowden » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:55 pm

S 854 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:18 am
Been trying that over and over with vise grips, channel locks, needle nose, angled needle nose, and lots of lubricant sprayed. It’s looking like I’m going to have to take the tranny out and not for dinner and a movie this time
Jon
Nomad
2015 Ural Gear Up

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:37 pm

Subsnowden wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:55 pm
It’s looking like I’m going to have to take the tranny out and not for dinner and a movie this time
Just be careful when you remove the tranny... keep the back end of it pointed up... or at least raised slightly...

If you tip the back end down the plunger will fall out and hit the floor...

:rotfl:

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:26 pm

That part which he can't pull out? :?
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:03 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:26 pm
That part which he can't pull out? :?
That's the one!!!

Never fails...

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Subsnowden » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:19 pm

Well gave up. Removed swingarm. Got a better grip. Blood everywhere. Plunger still installed. Removed the tranny (after finding that sneaky forward right side bolt) and it appears I have the issue someone else did where my rod is stuck in the clutch end and does not want to move back. Gotta go read up on that thread again...
Jon
Nomad
2015 Ural Gear Up

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Subsnowden » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:49 pm

Vice grips and cussing did the trick. Had to use the clutch rod to pound out the plunger then another rod on top of the clutch rod to get the plunger completely out. Thrust bearing; no bearings to speak of. Can I set it on fire now?
Jon
Nomad
2015 Ural Gear Up

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:02 pm

does stiff upper lip, or Rome wasent built in a day help? maybe Neru fiddled while the Ural burned. :sarcasm: :cheers: anyway glad you got it out! now for a cold one! :beerchug:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)