Got me a nasty sound. Where do I start?

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Got me a nasty sound. Where do I start?

Post by WEGUNTER » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:45 pm

What year did they go with the D10 crank?????? Glacoste. Is Terry installing a D10 in your bike. This is the new improved crank shaft. Think it is worth the effort and money.

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:14 pm

Snakeoil wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:45 pm
I thought that this was a duplicate thread then saw the OP from the other thread reply that he just had the same failure. 2 big end failures back to back. Both 2013's too. 2 data points are not a significant sample size, but...
Make it three, my Retro Grenaded at 18,600 Kilometers, among a whole list of other failures.
I sought out a 2013 Retro as I felt I’d be getting all the best Improvements to date, still have carburetors that I know work, without the questionable “improvements” of 2014, what a lemon.
In light of the trouble I experienced with other Urals, I really handled the ‘13 with kid gloves, never ran it over 4.5k rpm and usually less, fed it expensive synthetic oil on schedule and premium fuel, it had 80 kilos on it when I bought it.
To IMWAs credit they did take care of everything I asked them to (there was more), but what a bunch of nonsense.
At this point the rig has about 38k Kilos on it, I feel like the engine has never really been right (it’s buzzy) so I’m hoping for the best/planing for the worst.
Glad to see you back commenting again.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

glacoste
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by glacoste » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:46 pm

WEGUNTER wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:45 pm
What year did they go with the D10 crank?????? Glacoste. Is Terry installing a D10 in your bike. This is the new improved crank shaft. Think it is worth the effort and money.
Not sure what year the D10 was first came out. Terry told me he'll be installing the D10.
2013 Gear-up

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:40 pm

Then you are good to go. The D10 is a better more reliable crank

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:41 pm

Thanks Jay. I stop by occasionally to see what's going on.

I've mentioned this a few times here and I do get descent from some. But my NOS crank from Terry was truly filthy in the slinger area. I'm talking machining chips that were big enough to wedge into the slinger. This crank was part of a stripped NOS short block he sold me. I wondered how this could possibly happen. Even Ivan has to have some form of quality control or inspection. But that was is probably naïve on my part.

My guess was and still is that the degreasing/cleaning tank used to clean parts after they are competed and ready for installation into the engine rarely gets dumped out and cleaned. So the crud builds up in the bottom. A newbie not aware of the swamp he is about to clean parts in could drop things like a crank into the tank and let it hit bottom. He gives a shake or two and puts it on a hook headed for the assembly area.

Makes one wonder if Sergei has a cleaning process he goes thru when he receives a new crank from the factory for rebuilding engines. We see so many big end failures and it always seems to be the cages letting go. None of the other Russian bearings seem to have an issue. So, I tend to think there is an outside influence causing those big ends to fail. The only place I found any cage issues were in my wheels. The bearings sort of fell apart when I took the wheels apart. Otherwise, they looked fine.

I flushed the bejezuz out of my crank after finding what I found in the slingers. Knocking on wood here, my engine runs smooth as an electric motor. I did put the crank on centers ,took a few runout readings, and it was below 0.001 TIR no matter where I checked. That has to be a big part of the smoothness of my old 650. And the original crank balance factors were maintained because I did not bore my old jugs, I bought NOS jugs from Terry and used my pistons and new rings.

I know what you mean about the CVK carbs, Jay. I really like them for an application like the Ural. My bike starts instantly. Starts better any other electric start bike I own.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:44 am

According to Gobium (hope he doesn't mind!) big end failures were caused by the machining errors of the crankcase, the Cylinder holes were not quite a true 90 degrees to the crankshaft holes. This tried to bend the conrods slightly sideways putting stress on the big end rollers, especially the tips. In the D10 crank the rollers have chamfered or rounded ends to relieve this stress. I remember this quite clearly from what was posted before, probably last year or so.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")