drive shaft greasing made easy

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
gstew
Comrade
Comrade

Re: drive shaft greasing made easy

Post by gstew » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:27 pm

An example of why this forum is so useful. Last week, on vacation in Maine I walked into a antique store and amounst a group of old tools was an “Original Tecalemit” oiler, grease gun. No price listed. Asked the clerk, how much? Without hesitation, he replied, $2. I said sold. Can’t wait to put it into service.
2012 Ural Patrol

vetsurginc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by vetsurginc » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:50 pm

I found access to the driveshaft joint limited as well as the arch seemed a bit close, even for the needle type. I revleived the arch with a dremel tool which helped access with the push tool. So it seems the casting variations affect some. But other than a stiff first push, the tool is working well.

For whatever reason, having my bike on the center stand and approaching the joint from underneath was the easiest access. I may need to do a bit more relief.
Doug
2011 GearUp Vasily (Васи́лий) Main 125, idle 38, Raceway needles, and stock exhaust, MKIII air filter
2010 R1200RT Gustav

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by hotflash44 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:59 pm

vetsurginc wrote:I found access to the driveshaft joint limited as well as the arch seemed a bit close, even for the needle type. I revleived the arch with a dremel tool which helped access with the push tool. So it seems the casting variations affect some. But other than a stiff first push, the tool is working well.

For whatever reason, having my bike on the center stand and approaching the joint from underneath was the easiest access. I may need to do a bit more relief.
i was thinking of doing that also, glad it worked. Damn, if the powers to be could just cast those arches just a few MM wider it would save a lot of issues not to mention typing on the how to grease the joint threads. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Yakatak

Post by Yakatak » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:52 am

Just remember..these Tecalemits usually have more than a few miles on them. I've purchased two and both have failed seals.
2014 Ural Gear Up - Asphalt

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:39 am

I found access to the driveshaft joint limited as well as the arch seemed a bit close
I just discovered that for myself this weekend. I've got the old style "fine" spline drive shaft and my standard size grease gun is too large of a diameter to fit in the arch.

I've been looking for some kind of attachment for "standard" grease guns. Dualco maybe. Tecalemit is still in business, but they don't make anything like these. Really don't want to spring $50 for ANOTHER grease gun.
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:26 am

vetsurginc wrote:I found access to the driveshaft joint limited as well as the arch seemed a bit close, even for the needle type. I revleived the arch with a dremel tool which helped access with the push tool. So it seems the casting variations affect some. But other than a stiff first push, the tool is working well.

yeah its a real PITA for sure it usually takes me 3 tubes of 3 oz each to get the joint greased. what a mess trying to get the grease to pop out of the rubber/plastic seals. im not satisfied until i see the grease come out. :( :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

mattzahr

Post by mattzahr » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:58 pm

Just picked one up on ebay as well...not expensive at all considering how many HF guns/extensions I've experimented with - be a great ride along tool. Thanks to those for sharing this!

Edit - Not mine...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TECALE ... SwdrlbFx5o
'16 cT - Terracotta aka Orange
SMSgt./1st Sgt., (Ret.)
Proud member of the "Group W Bench"

dogboy443

Post by dogboy443 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:28 pm

I found this on Amazon, I think it will work. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... 3R01YQSNNF
Mark
Mark Masztal
Total Bad A$$ - Ha!
2006 Ural Tourist, The Flying Pickle!

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:54 pm

mattzahr wrote:Just picked one up on ebay as well...not expensive at all considering how many HF guns/extensions I've experimented with - be a great ride along tool. Thanks to those for sharing this!

Edit - Not mine...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TECALE ... SwdrlbFx5o
FWIW, I also have one of those brass types, it doesn't fit as well as it's fitting is fatter, and takes a bit more fussing to work as its mechanism is more primitive.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

mattzahr

Post by mattzahr » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:14 pm

Grease Gun.jpg
This is the type I picked up..TECALEMIT CAT No. GB2802 - hope I don't have the fitment issues - thanks for the head's up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'16 cT - Terracotta aka Orange
SMSgt./1st Sgt., (Ret.)
Proud member of the "Group W Bench"

zookster

Post by zookster » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:25 am

dogboy443 wrote:I found this on Amazon, I think it will work. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... 3R01YQSNNF
Mark

Let me know how that one works out. I got a similar one but it would not fit. Ended up pulling the final drive/shaft (was going to do that anyway to lube the splines) to grease the u-joint.

Here is the one I got.

2013 Forest Fog Ural Gear Up
2009 Versys 650
2007 DR 650
2001 Bullet 500

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:10 am

I got a similar one but it would not fit.
So, just to be clear, THIS grease gun does NOT work ??

I had my drive shaft out of the bike and I could not get my grease gun to fit onto the zerk. Still looking for something.
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

zookster

Post by zookster » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:27 am

Lmo wrote:
I got a similar one but it would not fit.
So, just to be clear, THIS grease gun does NOT work ??

I had my drive shaft out of the bike and I could not get my grease gun to fit onto the zerk. Still looking for something.
It worked on the 2 u-joints on the sidecar driveshaft (I have a 2013 GU), but I could not get it to fit properly on the zerk of the main driveshaft u-joint because of the tight clearances with the yokes. I bought it hoping I could grease the main driveshaft u-joint without removing it.

I ended up pulling the rear drive and driveshaft. Honestly don't recall (it was 3 months ago and I didn't add that detail to my notes!) if I used the above gun or one of my hand pump guns once I had the driveshaft out of the bike.

My other 2 grease guns:
2013 Forest Fog Ural Gear Up
2009 Versys 650
2007 DR 650
2001 Bullet 500

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:18 am

Thank you for the clarification.

Can someone tell us if the "pointy" style grease gun (as fitted to the Dualco below)

will work with zerk "standard" fittings like

Will the point depress the check ball and allow the transfer of grease (without covering the garage floor at the same time).
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:26 am

Lew, i have tried the needle/pointy style and didn't work didn't make a good seal on the zerk. the Lincoln with the concave tip does work, but you have to put all your weight on it while squeezing the pump. its all about the tip setting square on the zerk and that aint easy with the FD joint. :cheers: