drive shaft greasing made easy

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
BinDerSmokDat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: drive shaft greasing made easy

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Mon May 07, 2018 3:21 pm

windmill wrote:As a whim I decided to try them for my weekly greasing of my Urals drive shaft.
Weekly? I need to step up my game...by about a factor of 52.

:oops:

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Mon May 07, 2018 3:23 pm

windmill wrote:Just unscrew the top, pull plunger until its all the way to the bottom, and pack it full of grease. I suppose one could also stick the open end in a full tub of grease, and pull on the plunger to suck it full of grease like a full size grease gun.

The plunger can be pushed straight out the top for cleaning, which might be a good Idea, mine had some old, hardened grease in it.
Thank you, Sir.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:55 pm

windmill wrote:
Lofty wrote:
windmill wrote:
hotflash44 wrote:Does the silver gun work easy on the patrol and m70?
It's a neat gun. Were there more on ebay?
Yes it does, it works well on everything I've tried it on. Yes there's more on e-bay.
There's one less. Mine arrived in the mail today. It's identical to the small silver one pictured in the first post of the thread.

I just have to figure out how to load it (it was shipped empty, as it should have been.)
Just unscrew the top, pull plunger until its all the way to the bottom, and pack it full of grease. I suppose one could also stick the open end in a full tub of grease, and pull on the plunger to suck it full of grease like a full size grease gun.

The plunger can be pushed straight out the top for cleaning, which might be a good Idea, mine had some old, hardened grease in it.
Do you ever think someone will find away to grease splines without taking everything apart? seems Van had zerks installed wonder how that worked out? :? :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Mon May 07, 2018 10:42 pm

BinDerSmokDat wrote:
windmill wrote:As a whim I decided to try them for my weekly greasing of my Urals drive shaft.

It might seem excessive to some, but keep in mind I ride daily in the Northwest, and my rig is my primary transportation. 2 shots of grease keeps the water out of the U-joint.
I have a 15 minute routine I do every weekend, check fluids, tire air, grease or oil exposed moving components, apply corrosion protection as needed, and inspect fasteners.

As a Professional CDL driver, regular inspections and maintenance are 2nd nature to me.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Mikey
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Mikey » Tue May 08, 2018 7:06 am

Barry, is that your complete list? And are you doing with acf during summer as well?
Posted via tablet or phone so please ignore any odd words (autocorrect).
2017 Gear-up Forest fog

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:47 am

windmill wrote:
BinDerSmokDat wrote:

It might seem excessive to some, but keep in mind I ride daily in the Northwest, and my rig is my primary transportation. 2 shots of grease keeps the water out of the U-joint.
I have a 15 minute routine I do every weekend, check fluids, tire air, grease or oil exposed moving components, apply corrosion protection as needed, and inspect fasteners.

As a Professional CDL driver, regular inspections and maintenance are 2nd nature to me.
Barry the key word here is moisture/water,i have for the most part lived in the desert,this might sound as not possible but i have vehicles that are 55 years old and have never had the grease in the u-joints replenished and still work good. granted they aren't driven much, not bragging about the bad maintenance just stating a fact on my vehicle. wet roads and driven a lot, you are correct at once a week squirts of grease. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Tue May 08, 2018 9:49 am

Mikey wrote:Barry, is that your complete list? And are you doing with acf during summer as well?
Pretty much that's it. I use Boeshield or S100 corrosion protection if and when needed year round.
Once the spots prone to corrosion are Identified and treated, the need rapidly diminishes until it becomes seldom needed.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018 M70

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Tue May 08, 2018 11:16 am

I'm exaggerating but only slightly about my lack of maintenance routine.
I'm on my 2nd drive shaft due to insufficient maintenance...I didn't regularly grease my original and it wore to the point that the needles disintegrated and it wore the ends of the cross off inside the caps. This slop beat the yokes out of round. The best part...it never failed, I rode one last Jersey Devil Hunt with the yokes slamming around and hitting each other and it still didn't fail before I replaced it.

My current one is surviving much better. I grease it when I remember.

The original 2WD shaft u-joints are still in place and only now showing signs of wear after nearly 8 years.
these joints are larger and easier to grease, plus tolerate a bit more neglect, so they have held up better.

I can see how a weekly or even monthly shot of grease would help keep things alive longer.
I will eventually learn my lesson...a maintained rig is more reliable, less hassle and cheaper to own in the long run.

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Tue May 08, 2018 11:33 am

BinDerSmokDat wrote:
The original 2WD shaft u-joints are still in place and only now showing signs of wear after nearly 8 years.
these joints are larger and easier to grease, plus tolerate a bit more neglect, so they have held up better.
I suspect it's also because the drive shaft u-joint is close to the tire, and gets a lot of spray off of it.
Barry

2018 M70

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:17 am

windmill wrote:I got a couple of mini vintage Tecalemit grease guns off e-bay for when I'm out in the field using my David Bradley walk behind tractor, or Planet jr wheel hoe, as a grease gun, and a wrench are the 2 tools one is most likely to need.

As a whim I decided to try them for my weekly greasing of my Urals drive shaft. The silver one is perfect for the job like it was made for it. Just reach over the seat one handed, place it on the zerk, press it down twice and done. All of 2 seconds to do, no 2 handed contortions, or trying to find just the right angle to fit it in place. ,
No bigger than a 5/8" wrench, so it can be carried in the tool kit for long trips.
IMG_3049.JPG
IMG_3051.JPG
IMG_3050.JPG
IMG_3032.JPG
Barry i just noticed the picture from myUral.com of the shape of the u-joint on i think is a 2007 Ural,the arches are taller and allow easy access to the zerk, wonder why the newer ones are so cramped and make the angle so hard to get at? :?

vetsurginc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by vetsurginc » Wed May 09, 2018 10:24 am

Another great idea from windmill. Ordered!
Doug
2011 GearUp Vasily (Васи́лий) Main 125, idle 38, Raceway needles, and stock exhaust, MKIII air filter
2010 R1200RT Gustav

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Wed May 09, 2018 11:04 am

hotflash44 wrote: Barry i just noticed the picture from myUral.com of the shape of the u-joint on i think is a 2007 Ural,the arches are taller and allow easy access to the zerk, wonder why the newer ones are so cramped and make the angle so hard to get at? :?
I don't see any appreciable difference between my 07 Patrol, and 18 M70 other than finish. It might just be the angle it's viewed from that makes it seem different?
Barry

2018 M70

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Wed May 09, 2018 9:08 pm

As it concerns my '18 GU, access to the driveshaft grease fitting is noticeably compromised when compared to the U-joint zerks on the FD and the sidecar. That's why I willingly ordered the mildly pricey Tecalemit gun from eBay; I'm hoping that it's a solution for the issue of said access.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Birdy
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Birdy » Wed May 09, 2018 9:14 pm

I have the needle that was posted on the board and it works great I just leave in it and get a couple of shots in the joints when I change oil...which I am doing tomorrow.
2017 Ural Patrol, Lenin's Revenge
2012 Kawasaki Versys, Mini Me
2008 Royal Enfield...the money pit, undergoing restoration

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Wed May 09, 2018 9:40 pm

Lofty wrote:As it concerns my '18 GU, access to the driveshaft grease fitting is noticeably compromised when compared to the U-joint zerks on the FD and the sidecar. That's why I willingly ordered the mildly pricey Tecalemit gun from eBay; I'm hoping that it's a solution for the issue of said access.
That's true on my Patrol too. Unless I'm mistaken, I think hotflash is under the impression older drive shafts had better access.

I had been using a small grease gun like this for years, and it worked well, but everything needed to be lined up just so to seat on the zerk and allow room for the body and pumping it.
il_340x270.1097662613_gvta.jpg
IMG_3020.JPG
With the Tecalemit its simply a straight shot.
IMG_3050.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

2018 M70