Standard 6V ignition problem

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Ohsuchislife

Standard 6V ignition problem

Post by Ohsuchislife » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:10 am

hello peeps

as a newboy to the world of the Russian machinery ... being a Lambretta/Vespa rider all my life ... I'm at the end of the road having a real problem with the ignition ive gone back to the standard 6v manual retard system with points etc .. when I bought the bike in bits it had a electronic system on it ... because the camshaft had no lobs left on it ... so I bought a new / second hand dizzy and found the coil in the box now new wiring switch etc I have 6v to the + side of the coil and to the condenser etc and the points spark when I open them seems good .. so brand new cap leads etc etc and nothing ... its such a basic system but I'm stumped .. tested resistance of the coil and have a readying so that seems to be ok (or is it) ive ordered a new one from ebay and will see if that helps ...
but now I'm stumped ... any ideas ..

Ohsuchislife

Re: Standard 6V ignition problem

Post by Ohsuchislife » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 am

sorry before anyone picks it up I fitted a new camshaft and the points open all ok

mtrdrms
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by mtrdrms » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:49 am

So, are you not getting spark to the plug? Not totally sure what you're asking but did you set the timing correctly? Dwell? Is the engine grounded properly?
- Andy

Everyday. No excuses.
2013 Patrol
1998 Tourist

Ohsuchislife

Post by Ohsuchislife » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:02 am

sorry ... yeah just not getting a spark at all ... got a good earth on the bike ... power to the system ... but just no spark ... I'm just wondering if its the coil ... everything else is brand new .. aghhh

mtrdrms

Post by mtrdrms » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:10 pm

Do you have an ohmmeter? You can make sure you have continuity across windings on the coil
- Andy

Everyday. No excuses.
2013 Patrol
1998 Tourist

propwash
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by propwash » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:56 pm

Is this is OHV or flathead engine? I assume a flathead since you have the manual retard, but I want to confirm.

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by dneprlover » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:24 pm

@ propwash. K750 according to the OP's original introduction.

Check the HT output connection coming out of the coil is sound. Disconnect the HT wire ( from coil to distributor) at the distributor and fit a spark plug cap and plug. Earth that and see whether you get a spark. If so, it is a distributor fault. If no spark , leave the set up as it is and put a test meter on the +6v input to the coil , and - to earth. Turn the engine over very slowly and see if the voltage switches, if it does not, points are faulty. If it does, coil or -VE to earth is faulty.
Also, consider that you might have a faulty condensor.
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m and an MB750 with locking diff.

Ohsuchislife

Post by Ohsuchislife » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:48 am

hello peeps thanks for all your comments ... think ive found the problem checked the winding on the coil and its not showing any figures I was hoping for a number 2-5 ohms but zero so it looks like the coil is U/S ....

got a secondhand one on order so that should fix it

thanks again

Ohsuchislife

Post by Ohsuchislife » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:10 am

At Last found the problem ... this was a new distributor .. I had 6v power to the system points etc ... changed the coil the same no spark then arched out the - side with a plug on the coil output .. SPARK so it had to be the dizzy side ... open and shut the points nothing.. so changed the condenser .. nothing ... then I had a brain wave ... the points should short to earth and they weren't .. so it had to be dirty contacts with a brand new set ... bit of a ruff up with some wet and dry .. bingo .. SPARK ... just shows eh .. never trust new parts .. lesson learnt

Thasnks again for all your input .. I must confess it was driving me mad