BOB & BILL show us your new and improve ural clutch plate.

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

BOB & BILL show us your new and improve ural clutch plate.

Post by gobium » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:10 am

:sarcasm: :shock: :lurker: :lol: :cry: :beerchug:
Old plate
I took a hammer to it, to see how clucth material was put on.
1497712157-picsay.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: BOB & BILL show us your new and improve ural clutch plate.

Post by gobium » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:22 pm

P2100005-clutch-1.jpg
What it wrong with this design?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lmo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Lmo » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:29 pm

What it wrong with this design?
the one-piece lining will not flex with the "segmented" backing plate and will crack ( ??? )
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

Tpex
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Tpex » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:34 pm

Isn't made of asbestos like the original one?

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:52 pm

Thanks for your online video help Van. Bob and I installed a set of the new clutch plates and when compressing the springs, some of the rivets popped right out of one of the clutch plates. What a POS. Ended up pulling the engine in order to get purchase on the clutch screws. Got the bike put back together but want to go over it before I fire it up.

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:56 pm

WEGUNTER wrote:Thanks for your online video help Van. Bob and I installed a set of the new clutch plates and when compressing the springs, some of the rivets popped right out of one of the clutch plates. What a POS. Ended up pulling the engine in order to get purchase on the clutch screws. Got the bike put back together but want to go over it before I fire it up.
Only 6 rivets hold clutch linner per side!

rougaroo

Post by rougaroo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:59 pm

This is a delayed post since I had to get back and take some more pics, so consider Van's post a teaser.

Bill and I replaced the clutch on Krupskaya yesterday. He'd torn everything down by the time I got there, but left the engine in the frame. We didn't have much success getting the clutch screws out with the engine in the frame, so we popped ihe engine out and put it on a workbench to get a better angle of attack.

Bill & his engine on the bench (can't figure out how to make the picture be vertical - my apologies):
IMG_0434.JPG
He still had material on both plates, but check out his clutch teeth!
IMG_0441.JPG
especially compared to the new Ural clutch plate teeth -
IMG_0442.JPG
But here's where it gets screwy and back to Van's question. We put the clutch stack together and began to compress the stack, lining up the toothed intermediate plate with the notches in the flywheel. As you'll note in the first picture, we had the clutch compression tool and the alignment tool to make things easy. But I felt too much resistance screwing down the big nut. Didn't manhandle it at all, but knew it didn't feel lined up.

Released the pressure and disassembled the clutch pack to see why there was resistance and why it wasn't going in easily. Check out the brand-new clutch plate -
IMG_0444.JPG
IMG_0445.JPG
The clutch material is attached to the plate only by pop rivets! Now compare that to Van's forensic autopsy on an old plate - they were all attached with high-temperature glue. Look again at the new one - no glue at all. Also check out the rivets - you can see that some of the rivet heads are popped off.

What this means is that as your new clutch wears it will eventually cut the heads off the rivets. Probably no big deal in itself since they are soft metal. The big deal is that once the rivet heads come off, there's nothing holding the clutch material onto the plate, so bingo - no clutch!

For those of you off-roaders and clutch destroyers (viz. Mr. Cob) this could be a reason to ask for the old clutch plates. For others, if you ever had a reason not to ride your clutch, this is it!

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:06 pm

BOB and Bill.
I m going back to old plates.

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:29 pm

Are all the new style clutch plates this way or are they "Friday" clutch plates where they "Forgot" to add the Glue?
I have a set of new style plates I've been saving, I'll check to see if there glued, it might be worth glueing and re riviting before install.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:45 pm

Old clucth is bake on ! Much better than 6 rivets

rougaroo

Post by rougaroo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:45 pm

Jay bird -

I don't know a good way to check if they are glued other than to use a knife blade and try (carefully!!) to lift up the material. Gluing & then re-riveting would be a real belt-and- suspenders solution, but we (as owners) shouldn't have to do do that. Somewhere in the supply chain Ural should spend the extra $0.50 to have the supplier glue them.

For obsessives - Ural-zentrale.de has the high temp glue and material.

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:09 pm

I m 99% sure the new ural clucth plate is not glue due the design. The clutch material will crack if it is clue on.
New plate late designed to flex but unlike ural-zentrate plate! With release cuts Look at picture
Resized_Screenshot_20170618-150548.jpeg

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Imwa needs to glue on the clucth materials
And finishing the 3 cuts through the clutch!

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:22 pm

Ok. That was a beyotch. Should have taken the engine out from the get go. Easy pulling it out. Was a royal pain putting it back in and getting it lined up with the engine bolt holes. Yes we used a rolling jack to rest the engine on. Also would be interested to hear from new bike owners on how their clutch plates are holding up. What year did they go to those new plates??????

Bill

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:29 pm

WEGUNTER wrote:Ok. That was a beyotch. Should have taken the engine out from the get go. Easy pulling it out. Was a royal pain putting it back in and getting it lined up with the engine bolt holes. Yes we used a rolling jack to rest the engine on. Also would be interested to hear from new bike owners on how their clutch plates are holding up. What year did they go to those new plates??????

Bill
Lol.
First time it took me 12 hours.
Last clutch job on 09 Sahara may be 2.5-3hrs?