The Art of Sidecar Brake Adjustment

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: The Art of Sidecar Brake Adjustment

Post by sKiZo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:00 pm

Handy advice. I just put my 2011 T on the road and had a couple scary moments when the bike pulled hard to the left making a simple lane change. Will follow advice and adjust so rear brakes pull slightly to the right when used alone and keep my fingers crossed.

Definitely need to get some more parking lot practice in before getting back on the road though. Half a million miles on two wheels, got a few habits to brake ... er ... break ... before I'm comfortable on this "new" machine.

** I also noticed the whole bike has a tendency to drift right on crowned roads, but that seems logical. Two wheels, you automatically counter steer left a bit to compensate - with this rig I guess you have to steer a bit left instead. Practice, practice, oops that was fun, practice ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

RC20
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by RC20 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:27 pm

Still serious learning curve as well, put 2000 miles on the cT but I also had a good load so right turns were not an issue (and I still was careful)

I need to adjust my rear break and the info is going to help a lot. I think its the right approach as the side car is going to have a lot of lever distance on the machine.

I did some passing and it went left once over the crown. Eeerie feeling, all that distance makes for more motion up on the sidecar. Had a few where I thought I was done for an no issue but a lot of rise when it went over a high spot.

If there is anything to get used to for me its that non standard feel of things not the steering or the right turns (not to discount them but with weight the others take over big time)
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sKiZo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:28 am

I've got my "training wheels" in the car, courtesy of a 6 gallon water jug in the foot well. That's good for 50 pounds anyway. I've got another one that I figure to put in the trunk for additional ballast until I get some more time in. Flying the car hasn't really been a problem yet as I've been pretty much crawling thru turns at this point.

Plan is to work my way thru the yellow book that came with mine ... I'm on chapter 0 right now. <G>

Oh. Probably doesn't help that my rear brakes aren't exactly stock anymore. I modded those per Sean262's advice to make it easier for my not exactly stock right foot. Moved the pedal out from under the jug and added a heel rest:

And stretched the pivot arm on the bike rear for less travel:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.