Hydrolocked engine

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Connito
Comrade
Comrade

Hydrolocked engine

Post by Connito » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:02 pm

Hello all,

I tried to search for a similar thread, but I couldn't find one. I have 2002 Ural Tourist and I hydrolocked the engine! :( I should have known better, but...
I haven't taken it apart just yet, but I was wondering what would you think I need to replace on the engine. I would like to purchase the necessary parts, or at least the ones that I know I must, beforehand. I know I should buy Pushrods from modtop. What else do you think I would need? I surely hope that the crankshaft is fine.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions,
Pete
Pete - 2002 Ural Tourist owner and loving it!
Old enough to know what's right,
but young enough not to choose it!

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Hydrolocked engine

Post by Albuquralque » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:12 pm

You won't know until you tear it apart and do a thorough inspection.

Maybe you can describe what you did to discover it was hydrolocked and any other info you have. You may also want to let us know your location.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

Connito
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Connito » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:23 pm

Thanks for your reply. What is there to describe... The float needle failed and I didn't shut off the petcock (because it was only for couple of hours, not over night, which proved to be very stupid thinking), so the gas went into the cylinder, I hit the starter and all I heard was a bug BAM. Now the engine doesn't spin. I am still very mad at myself for not shutting off the petcock, or not kicking the engine first. Although, in my defense there were no signs of gas leaking and I really left it for couple of hours only. I am in Boston and with the help of coupe of friends, I will take the engine out on August 24th. This is why I wanted to buy as much parts as I can prior to that.

Cheers,
Pete

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:32 pm

Have you pulled the spark plugs and try to turn the engine over using the kick starter>
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

Connito
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Connito » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:36 pm

Yes, unfortunately.

berger
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Hydrolocked engine

Post by berger » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:41 pm

You may want to consider pricing out a used or rebuilt late model engine instead of sourcing parts.

Sent from my Mobile
Berger

2007 Ural Patrol (1st Owner)
Many, Many Mods.

Connito
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Connito » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:53 pm

I wouldn't buy a used engine. I have done so in the past and I was very sorry. A rebuilt later model engine would be out of my price range, unfortunately. I have considered replacing the engine with an R BMW one, but this is also something I can't afford.

Thanks for your suggestions and taking the time to reply!

Cheers,
Pete

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:57 pm

Ouch.

:shock:
Rural Ural in Tulia Texas!

Current Ural: 2013 Ural Solo sT

Previous Ural: 2013 Ural Patrol

cliffh
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cliffh » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:51 pm

The motor won't turn over by foot even with the plugs removed? Hard to imagine you did that much damage with the starter.

Have you made sure the starter was able to disengage? Pull the starter to check and make sure it is free. Easy job. It is possible that the starter is still engaged and due to the pressure is unable to release from the flywheel.

Can't really imagine what else could have been damaged that quickly that would have locked up the engine.

Ural's are pretty easy to pull the heads and cylinder off of and check things out though.
Cliff
'98 Tourist (kick start only)
'97 Suzuki DR200
'99 Suzuki DR350
'90 Honda Pacific Coast
'93 Honda Goldwing

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by rivers » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:38 pm

cliffh wrote:The motor won't turn over by foot even with the plugs removed? Hard to imagine you did that much damage with the starter.
I'm thinking along the same line. Ingesting water into a running motor during a water crossing could bend a rod etc but I wouldn't be buying any parts till you find the problem. A bent push rod isn't going to keep the motor from rolling over. I also find it hard to believe you could do major damage like bending a connecting rod with just the starter. Not saying it couldn't happen, I just find that hard to accept. I'd expect an electrical meltdown in the starting circuit before bending any major hard parts with the stock starter. Good idea to pull the jugs and and the starter to have a look see before buying parts or looking for a motor swap. I wouldn't go into the panic mode just yet.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

vincent-rapide
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by vincent-rapide » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:56 pm

Have to agree with previous comments...no need to buy parts until you find source of problem.

VR
2016 Chevrolet Colorado PU; 4 cylinder/6 Spd Trans/no carpet
M4900 Kubota tractor
1995 Mercedes e300 Diesel
1994 Chevy S-10 4wd
1951 Norton International
1951 Vincent Touring Rapide
1942 BSA WM-20 (uprated to M21 spec. 15hp)
1961 BSA A10 "Royal Tourist"
1956 Panther M100 “Sloper”
1948 Norton 16H
And, lest we forget.... 2007 GearUp ( "punkin orange")

Connito
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Connito » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Thanks all! I sure hope you are right! I will start with starter 8)
I will report back on the 24th or 25th.

Cheers,
Pete

BillyG
Thread Killer
Thread Killer

Post by BillyG » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:42 pm

I hate to tell you folks...but if you E-start a hydro-locked [edit: Ural] engine you are going to bend the sh!t out of something [how bad depends on how much fluid is in cylinder(s)]. There is a lot of torque in that starter. It has to spin a pretty heavy flywheel. Bending bits and pieces to the point of seizing the engine is easy. ALWAYS kick it through first. ALWAYS.

Even if you can get it to run and all seems good...it will "show" you (i.e. break down) what you phucked up within a month it you put very many miles out it.

Lesson learned. Maybe. :twisted:
Bill Glaser
2002 Ural Patrol "CYKA"
300,000 km's since May 1st 2002
The "Unofficial Ural Service Manual" can be viewed at: http://www.myural.com

cliffh
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cliffh » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:05 pm

BillyG wrote:I hate to tell you folks...but if you E-start a hydro-locked engine you are going to bend the sh!t out of something [depending on how much fluid is in cylinder(s)]. There is a lot of torque in that starter. It has to spin a pretty heavy flywheel. Bending bits and pieces to the point of seizing the engine is easy. ALWAYS kick it through first. ALWAYS.

Lesson learned. Maybe.
I'm not saying you are wrong by any means, but I've seen hydolocked car engines that did no damage by trying the starter. At least a Ural battery won't supply as much power as a large car battery.
Cliff
'98 Tourist (kick start only)
'97 Suzuki DR200
'99 Suzuki DR350
'90 Honda Pacific Coast
'93 Honda Goldwing

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:48 pm

Hey Cliff... BillyG has forgotten more about these engine/rigs than most of us will ever know... :bow:

Believe him...
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...