650 Ural with Chevy points refit questions

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
motoleo
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

650 Ural with Chevy points refit questions

Post by motoleo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:43 pm

I have a used Chevy points/condenser refit plate for a Ural 650 and was wondering if anyone has the instructions on how to install, set-up,etc. plus anything else I might need/use with it. Also wondering what year/model Chevy points and condenser it uses.

Can this also be used on a Dnepr?
motoleo
2000 Ural Bavarian Classic rig
94 Ural Tourist (sidecar waiting to be done)
?? Dnepr MT-11 project
2000 Ural Bavarian Classic solo
07 Patrol-never quite done :)

PeteT
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: 650 Ural with Chevy points refit questions

Post by PeteT » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:17 pm

motoleo wrote:I have a used Chevy points/condenser refit plate for a Ural 650 and was wondering if anyone has the instructions on how to install, set-up,etc. plus anything else I might need/use with it. Also wondering what year/model Chevy points and condenser it uses.

Greetings, motoleo!

Don't know what you have or who made it, but I'd guess that it probably uses the GM "adjustable dwell" type points that were used on the late-60's GM products. These points sets were made so that an allen wrench could be inserted through a port in the side of the distributor cap to adjust the dwell with the engine running using a dwell meter. Take the breaker plate to a parts store (where the counter staff are at least somewhat familliar with pre-electronic ignition systems), and match the plate up with a set of points. I think GM only used two different styles from the 1930's through the end of points ignition in the mid 1970's. It's gotta be one or the other.

The condensor depends on the ignition coil being used, not the points... which brings up another issue. You'll need a coil designed for points. This coil will have a primary resistance of around 5 ohms. Electronic ignition coils have much less resistance, and will burn the points in short order due to the excessive primary current. I'm using a late 60's Harley coil and a 12V air cooled Volkswagen condensor. Works great!

Setup is straight forward- time it so that the points are just opening at the firing point as marked on the flywheel.

PeteT.
05 G/U currently running 42/130 jetting, 20/50 GTX in eng. and trans and 75/90 dino in the final, homemade airbox using a Fram 3717 flat element, homemade 2 into 1 exhaust, 42 psi in the pusher, 32 psi in the other two, and now running a manual advance dual breaker point ignition system.

motoleo
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by motoleo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:13 am

PeteT wrote:
motoleo wrote:I have a used Chevy points/condenser refit plate for a Ural 650 and was wondering if anyone has the instructions on how to install, set-up,etc. plus anything else I might need/use with it. Also wondering what year/model Chevy points and condenser it uses.

Greetings, motoleo!

Don't know what you have or who made it, but I'd guess that it probably uses the GM "adjustable dwell" type points that were used on the late-60's GM products. These points sets were made so that an allen wrench could be inserted through a port in the side of the distributor cap to adjust the dwell with the engine running using a dwell meter. Take the breaker plate to a parts store (where the counter staff are at least somewhat familliar with pre-electronic ignition systems), and match the plate up with a set of points. I think GM only used two different styles from the 1930's through the end of points ignition in the mid 1970's. It's gotta be one or the other.

The condensor depends on the ignition coil being used, not the points... which brings up another issue. You'll need a coil designed for points. This coil will have a primary resistance of around 5 ohms. Electronic ignition coils have much less resistance, and will burn the points in short order due to the excessive primary current. I'm using a late 60's Harley coil and a 12V air cooled Volkswagen condensor. Works great!

Setup is straight forward- time it so that the points are just opening at the firing point as marked on the flywheel.

PeteT.
Thanks Pete, for the informative reply. Here is a photo of the plate and points and post it to show what I have. 2 questions though:

1- I'm assuming I would still need to use the Ural/Dnepr advance unit with this set-up. is that correct?

2- Where do the 2 wires go? I 'm assuming the one connected to the points goes to the coil. What about the one on the left by itself?
photo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
motoleo
2000 Ural Bavarian Classic rig
94 Ural Tourist (sidecar waiting to be done)
?? Dnepr MT-11 project
2000 Ural Bavarian Classic solo
07 Patrol-never quite done :)

George Butz
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by George Butz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:28 am

PeteT wrote:

Greetings, motoleo!

PeteT.
I fitted my 1948 Panhead with the Chevy points you mentioned. I had to file it a bit to get the cover on, but on the Ural I can see you doing it just as easily.
You would just have to drill and tap the existing plate, maybe..
I liked the fact you could adjust the dwell with the engine running...Not sure how that would work out on a Ural, but the part is dependable, cheap and can
be found anywhere. :D
+1 on the right coil and condenser combo. I'm thinking the older points coil and stock OEM condenser would work fine.
Gene would have a coil I bet, and hooking it up would be easy. Just look at the older wiring diagram...my site links to one. Or go to the karma website.
Сьюзи (2007 homemade Gear-up)
(1988 BMW conversion)
http://www.easternbloc.biz