Shorting in wet weather

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
mash3d
Party Member
Party Member

Shorting in wet weather

Post by mash3d » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:23 pm

Hi, for some reason my bike does not like wet weather.
It starts up and idles fine but when I put it in gear and drive around it acts like a gutless wonder.
I was barley able to get out of the parking lot and turn back around without having to push it.
In dry weather the bike acts fine.
So I think it's a electrical short somewhere. The only thing I can think of is the coil connections since they are exposed to the weather.
I'm going walking down to the hardware store to get some dielectric grease and greasing those connections.
Just wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas of what it could be?
Thanks
1996 Sportsman/750 Engine
Why Wait? buy it broke :)

gremlin96
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Shorting in wet weather

Post by gremlin96 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:47 pm

could be the spark plug boots or wires. tracking down shorts when they get wet can be hard.
750cc 2005 patrol

Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Lokiboy » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:33 pm

I've experienced the same thing. Starts and idles like normal, but barely enough power to get out its own shadow once underway. What I've done is just pull over, wait about a minute more while slightly rolling on and off the throttle and it has seems to fix the problem. I have no issues when I'm driving, so it's something getting water where is shouldn't when it sits.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

Darkblood
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: Smithfield, Maine, now further into (Americas Siberia)

Post by Darkblood » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:43 pm

Check your air box as it tends to suck water into it and then to the carbs. Seen that on heavy rain days to the point of fouled plugs.
2010 Gear Up. named феникс (phoenix)

mash3d
Party Member
Party Member

Post by mash3d » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I thought that it might also be condensation in the fuel lines.
I noticed today that the hose going from the fuel filter to the carb is a offish tan that you can almost see through.
When it gets really wet with high humidity that turns almost a white color on the inside
When it drys out that color is not there.

As far as the air filter goes, it's a clean new one but I doubt it's keeping out anything but large leaves and elephants :)

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:08 pm

Hey you may have short in spark wires or coil, some car mechanics use spray botle fill it with water and table spoon of salt (salty water is a good conductor of electric), run bike on a dry night, at idle spray the spark wires, coil...if there is a short, you can see it arching. Now I have done this on older cars, not on motorcycle.

pigdog
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by pigdog » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:27 pm

gobium wrote:Hey you may have short in spark wires or coil, some car mechanics use spray botle fill it with water and table spoon of salt (salty water is a good conductor of electric), run bike on a dry night, at idle spray the spark wires, coil...if there is a short, you can see it arching. Now I have done this on older cars, not on motorcycle.
That may work even better than my method of grabbing the garden hose and start spraying, but it works also.
'00 Ural BC 650 "Strekoza" Gone but not forgotten.
'11 Ural Patrol T
'04 Silverado 2500HD "Old Shaky"
'97 Honda Foreman 400

"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - R. Feynman

markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by markhas » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:11 pm

what air cleaner do you have? The top feeder that fouls in wet weather or the bottom feeder that will run under water? I originaly had a top feeder and had the same troubles you complain about. I now have a bottom intake (feeder) and I have never had a problem no matter how heavy the rain.
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin
06' Tourist 41167/over 75,000Km, 91" 750 Honda Nighthawk sold to my buddy Ernie, we keep in touch.

sputnik
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by sputnik » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:36 pm

HA ! Ask Thermos how well the bottom feeder runs under water.. He also lernt a new word. Kids, can you say hydrolock ?:lol: If you got white and tan colors in your fuel line you found the problem..WATER

markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by markhas » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:54 pm

If you have water in the fuel line it's not from the air cleaner. It's from the tank or somewhere inbetween. My bottomfeeder is a blessing. It never fouls up and I ride in the rain as often as it rains, at least I try to. :foilhead: :D
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin
06' Tourist 41167/over 75,000Km, 91" 750 Honda Nighthawk sold to my buddy Ernie, we keep in touch.

mash3d
Party Member
Party Member

Post by mash3d » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:36 am

markhas wrote:what air cleaner do you have? The top feeder that fouls in wet weather or the bottom feeder that will run under water? I originally had a top feeder and had the same troubles you complain about. I now have a bottom intake (feeder) and I have never had a problem no matter how heavy the rain.
I don't know what the difference is between a bottom feeder and a top feeder is?
Ones a lawyer and the other one is a congressman? :)
This is the air filter set up I have

Ural_Filter by michael32766, on Flickr

Do you have an image of a bottom feeder? or where I can get one.
thanks

pigdog
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by pigdog » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:30 am

Look under the little tophat on your aircleaner. If there is a hole there, it is a top feeder. If not, look underneath for a hole.

I've ridden in some flat out pouring rain, and with my top feeder, never had a problem with getting the aircleaner wet. I still think coil/sparkplugs/wires is your culprit.
'00 Ural BC 650 "Strekoza" Gone but not forgotten.
'11 Ural Patrol T
'04 Silverado 2500HD "Old Shaky"
'97 Honda Foreman 400

"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - R. Feynman

Brian Crean
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Brian Crean » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:39 am

A top feeder pulls it's air in the box from the top. It looks like you have one there. Go see if there's a hole in the airbox under that top plate. (They call it a tophat). A bottom feeder has a sealed top, and an open scoop like assembly that channels air from up under the airbox. Around 2007-2008 both were being issued, as far as I can tell as well as a Hybrid, which had a bottom intake, a "tophat" but no intake hole under the 'tophat". Find where the intake hole is, and you'll know.

markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by markhas » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:07 pm

I must have the Hybrid style, cause it came with the top hat which I've done away with other than to keep it for a parts bowl on the work bench. I taped up the screw holes attaching it and now only have 4 small fasteners to deal with when cleaning the box. I do this about every third oil change or when suspect behaviour suggest a dirty box... take that as you will... a little clue to making it work... on nebber mind. you can figure it out. :o :)
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin

markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by markhas » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:19 pm

I've seen a graphic of a bottom feeder somewhere like in a parts list. go grab the Ural parts list off the motherboard and see if you can find it. someonw said something about them being 2007 or so??? :|
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin