Gas Tank Filler Hole

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Adam
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Gas Tank Filler Hole

Post by Adam » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Curiousity is gettin the best of me here.

On my 2011 GU, the gas tank filler hole has (seems like a rubber spray coating) on the threads and on the bottom of the neck that sticks inside the tank. I can post a pic if needed, just can't now. Well the bottom part of the coating that is on the neck is starting to peel off. Which leads me to believe that its floating around in my tank. I have not noticed any type of starvation of fuel. I do not have any inline fuel filters. I might be installing some fuel filters within the next few weeks though. This is my first Ural, so I am curious to see if this is normal. When I install the fuel filters I might yank the tank off and see if any of those peelings come out. I will also be checking the fuel petcock, I believe there is a screen located there.

Adam
2011 Gobi Gear Up

To me the glass is not half empty, nor is it half full. The glass is just twice as large as what's needed.

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Gas Tank Filler Hole

Post by Albuquralque » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:57 pm

Common issue with the coating peeling off. Fuel filters are a personal decision. The screens on the petcock tubes are fine enough to keep crap out of your carbs. Definitely worth pulling the petcock every once in a while and checking for buildup around it.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

Mud Pie
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Mud Pie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:52 pm

When mine started to peel, I taped off the filler hole and scraped the coating off. Then I blew the shavings away with compressed air. I almost used a shop vac, then the thought of gas fumes going through a vac motor would make a nice flame thrower... :)

As far as the inline filters, there are many opinions. Yeah, the petcock is screened, but I can't tell if its on/off/torn. I put inlines in because I can SEE if they're clogged. Cheap extra piece of mind.
2005 Ural Gear Up with DP-28 replica
Patriot Guard Rider

"I don't drive a Ural to make great time, I drive a Ural to have a great time."

"There is no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." - Ayn Rand "Atlas Shrugged"

alantruland
Party Member
Party Member

Post by alantruland » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:01 pm

A couple beers and a set of tweezers and the coating is gone from mine.It did plug the screens once before I peeled it all away......Alan
2011 Gear Up from V.T. Cycles

Adam
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Adam » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:42 pm

Thanks, just as I thought. :D :D

Adam
2011 Gobi Gear Up

To me the glass is not half empty, nor is it half full. The glass is just twice as large as what's needed.

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Post by MartyL » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:45 pm

Here's the skinny.... This issue has been brought up to IMZ in the past. IMHO they really have to address this as it's unacceptable to have this happen. From what I understand, the paint used around the filler neck can't hold up to U.S. Fuels. Hence it peels off and winds up in the tank and around your petcock filter. Here's what you do. Take the bike outside in a well ventilated area. Have a fire extinguisher handy. Safety First. Drain your tank by connecting a hose from your petcock to a fuel container. Remove both bolts at front of tank. If you have a one piece fuel cross over, remove one end to get the tank out. If your careful you won't spill too much fuel from the crossover. Lift out tank and place where it won't get scratched. You'll need some thinner and patience to get out the paint in the filler neck. Remove the petcock and clean the filters. You may want to consider getting a fuel crossover disconnect like the one from Raceway services. These bikes do have crud in the gas tank when new from the factory. It seems this is a good procedure to do at around 2500 clicks and then check your petcock again at your 10,000 service. No need to add inline fuel filters although in the first 5000 clicks it may not be a bad idea. This is all JMHO and others on this forum with much more experience than I might suggest something else. Have fun. Be careful with fuel!!!
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2018 H-D FLHXS
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Lokiboy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:29 pm

Had the same problem – it took three hours to get it all out. I used small needle-nose pliers to scrape (slowly) and lift and my finger nail (which works really well). I took a piece of sponge, damped it (that way when I lifted it out the paint was more likely to stay affixed and not drop off into the tank), then fit it into the main opening. Then I took small pieces of paper towels and filled the other holes. With the pliers and my wet fingers I slowly scraped and peeled away all the paint. I used another piece of damp sponge to remove small flecks of paint. Even being as careful as possible, when I removed the peacock the following weekend, after running down the bike to nearly empty, I found paint around the filters.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Niteblues » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:49 pm

Youse guys are waaaaaay overthinking this stuff...

I saw that gunk coming off on mine for about six months before I finally took a papertowel and kind of just wiped it out of the filler hole. Probably while smoking. Threw the paper towel in the gas station trash can...

About 20,000kms later I had the tank off for something else and couldn't find any sludge anywhere :?

I guess it just burned up...

...Russian paint :wink:
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:58 pm

niteblues59 wrote:Youse guys are waaaaaay overthinking this stuff...

I saw that gunk coming off on mine for about six months before I finally took a papertowel and kind of just wiped it out of the filler hole. Probably while smoking. Threw the paper towel in the gas station trash can...

About 20,000kms later I had the tank off for something else and couldn't find any sludge anywhere :?

Exactly....WWID!
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

Kerbouchard
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Kerbouchard » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:44 am

I had this problem too, but the paint sort of dissolved in the gas and made a sludge. Whenever I went to reserve, my bike would begin acting up shortly after. The inline fuel filter didn't help, because the sludge would slowly get through it--but it was thick enough to keep gunking up my carbs. I'd regularly have to pull over and drain one float bowl on the side of the road, because of a loss of power in one cylinder and fuel running out of the overflow vent. I took the paint out of the filler hole and haven't had this problem since...

Cheers,

Kerbouchard
2009 Ural Patrol
Минотавр
Μῑνώταυρος
The Minotaur

My other vehicles are--who cares, I got an Ural!!! :D

markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by markhas » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:08 am

Coluralado wrote:
niteblues59 wrote:Youse guys are waaaaaay overthinking this stuff...

Exactly....WWID!

I just plain ignored it and it went away.

I just tore my carbs apart last summer to drill the slides. after 55,000km the insides were clean as a whistle. I thought I'd find some grit or grime but there was absolutly nothing inside. The outside was another story as I ride in the winter brine and the steel parts were thickly corroded. So I cleaned it all off and painted with Rustoleum. Now their pretty.
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin
06' Tourist 41167/over 75,000Km, 91" 750 Honda Nighthawk sold to my buddy Ernie, we keep in touch.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:19 am

I've had this problem from day one.
My bike was so fresh from the factory, that it still smelled of lacquer.
It was literally only a few weeks, from date of manufacture until I took delivery.

A drop of fuel on the outside of the tank caused an instant bubble to form, which went away as the paint cured.
Also on the fenders and side car, pressure of any type left a slight smudge in the finish, which again went away when the paint cured.

I think the real problem is not compatibility with US gas as people in other countries have the same issue.
More likely the coating is not the best choice for use with gasoline and/or it is not allowed to dry/cure properly before gasoline is introduced.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:39 am

BTW, I did the same as Scott; wiped off the excess material. Some still clings to the opening over a year later with no problems.