10k service: DISregarding the owner's manual?

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Re: 10k service: DISregarding the owner's manual?

Post by Niteblues » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:45 pm

IF you have to remove the exhaust to replace the filter, make sure you take a BFH and hammer a good size dent in the exact spot you need it to be.

I've seen that strategically placed dent on some crossover pipes before...
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by markhas » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:47 pm

niteblues59 wrote:IF you have to remove the exhaust to replace the filter, make sure you take a BFH and hammer a good size dent in the exact spot you need it to be.

I've seen that strategically placed dent on some crossover pipes before...
that would be something for Modtop or the like to make a replacement piece with enough loop to miss the oil filter. :idea:
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin
06' Tourist 41167/over 75,000Km, 91" 750 Honda Nighthawk sold to my buddy Ernie, we keep in touch.

kb5zcr
Party Member
Party Member

Post by kb5zcr » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:18 am

Watch this vid to see how easy changing oil filter is.

2001 Roadking (sold to buy a Ural)
2010 Patrol T

markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by markhas » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:20 am

that's a trick bike especially made for the video. :P
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin
06' Tourist 41167/over 75,000Km, 91" 750 Honda Nighthawk sold to my buddy Ernie, we keep in touch.

Mud Pie
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Mud Pie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:01 am

Seriously, my filters go in as easy as that video shows. Did they change the location of the crossover pipe ? Plus, I use the original paper filters, not the metal Emgos, I wonder if that makes all the difference ?
2005 Ural Gear Up with DP-28 replica
Patriot Guard Rider

"I don't drive a Ural to make great time, I drive a Ural to have a great time."

"There is no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." - Ayn Rand "Atlas Shrugged"

digitalebola
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by digitalebola » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:43 am

Mud Pie wrote:Seriously, my filters go in as easy as that video shows. Did they change the location of the crossover pipe ? Plus, I use the original paper filters, not the metal Emgos, I wonder if that makes all the difference ?
I never could get mine (2005 patrol) to do that. all I had were the metal filters though so it might make a difference. I did away with the crossover instead :)
2005 Patrol

markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by markhas » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:13 am

I wish that the old refrain " They All Do That" applied here. I don't any two rigs are the same, just one of those things. The Porsche is or was hand made also... ya right!
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Post by cdscoot » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:31 pm

What does everyone do when you use the old russian filter and the Emgo where the hole is smaller than the brown Russian ones? The top hat will not fit and go on the bottom cap.
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

tiltman
Party Member
Party Member

Post by tiltman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:07 pm

I'm just glad that someone else has had the same problem...makes me feel like less of a retard. (apologies to anyone who is retarded...)

Another thread talked about reusing the paper filters for 2 oil changes (or more). I tore my used one up due to the angle I was taking trying to get past the cross bar. So I "self discovered" Lokiboy's technique with my (last) new filter - worked like a charm.
Lokiboy wrote:A technique for replacing the oil filter. Lower the filter with base attached on to the cross over pipe. Separate the filter from the base. Putting on a new filter – just reverse the procedure. Slide the filter into the engine. Take the base and position it on top of the cross over pipe then push the base and filter together.
Kirk
2011 Ural "T"

Wolfy01
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Wolfy01 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:25 pm

digitalebola wrote:
Mud Pie wrote:Seriously, my filters go in as easy as that video shows. Did they change the location of the crossover pipe ? Plus, I use the original paper filters, not the metal Emgos, I wonder if that makes all the difference ?
I never could get mine (2005 patrol) to do that. all I had were the metal filters though so it might make a difference. I did away with the crossover instead :)

Same here I have a 2005 Patrol and have the metal filters
2005 Patrol

BinDerSmokDat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:59 am

These are the steps that came in my manual...

1. Loosen cap, drop, pull cap off filter with filter still in housing.
2. Angle filter slightly, slide past cross over.
3. Reverse for installation.
4. Forget to wipe cross pipe off, smell hot oil for 1st few minutes of next ride.

:mrgreen:

Mud Pie
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Mud Pie » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:22 am

I always put a folded piece of aluminum foil over my cross over pipe to direct the oil into my catch pan. Prevents the oil from going every which way and coating my garage floor.
2005 Ural Gear Up with DP-28 replica
Patriot Guard Rider

"I don't drive a Ural to make great time, I drive a Ural to have a great time."

"There is no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." - Ayn Rand "Atlas Shrugged"

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:38 am

Mud Pie wrote:I always put a folded piece of aluminum foil over my cross over pipe to direct the oil into my catch pan. Prevents the oil from going every which way and coating my garage floor.
That's a nice tip - thanks
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting