10k service: DISregarding the owner's manual?

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
User avatar
Swordsman
Comrade General
Comrade General
Posts: 801
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: White, GA, USA

10k service: DISregarding the owner's manual?

Post by Swordsman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:47 am

So I'm coming up on the 10k service (like 9900). I've checked the manual, and there are maintenance items on the 10k service sheet that aren't even part of the bike anymore (like repacking/adjusting the wheel bearings, which are now sealed units). Has someone done a writeup of what is still applicable? For a noob such as myself, I'm afraid I'll start cranking on things that no longer need to be.

Thanks!

~SM
2010 Ural T with all the trimmings!

"Nothing is boring when you're wearing armor." ~Maxim Magazine

User avatar
MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor
Posts: 8823
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:16 pm
Location: Winter Park, Fl.

Re: 10k service: DISregarding the owner's manual?

Post by MartyL » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:54 am

It is over due for an upgrade on the manuals that should apply to modern Urals. That is the beauty of this forum and BIlly G's Website (myural.com Billy's website applies to his 2002 Ural). We can share info amongst us to keep these rigs running smoothly (more or less). It's always good to ask questions here. IMHO even if IMZ didn't completely upgrade the manual they should at least offer technical upgrade notices & procedures to their Dealers & customers. This stuff does cost money and in these times it's a tough sell....
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2018 H-D FLHXS
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar
Posts: 2993
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:12 am

Re: 10k service: DISregarding the owner's manual?

Post by WEGUNTER » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:38 pm

Don't stress. Easy day in the garage. do the following:

Get out your wrenches and starting from front to back check all fasteners.
check the play in your steering bearings by turning your handle bars back and forth. If there is no slop and it feels tight, move on
change your fluids and do a swarf check
clean your air filter box and look for excessive oil
adjust your valves
check your spoke tightness (mainly on the pusher0 using the tap method with the pin wrench
pull your pusher and check the splines on the hub. Apply some clean grease to them
Pull your final drive and apply some clean grease to the final drive splines and in the rubber boot on the side car drive shaft
While you have the final drive out. Check your negative ground wire connection and also your rubber doughnut.
Fire the bike up and tune by ear (or with Twin Max if you want).
If you want.....you can pull the petcock and check the screen for garbage

You are done.

Personally, I think the stuff called for in the manual for the 10k service is way too early. I did the full maintenance on a 06 bike at 10K and frankly everything looked good. Grease was almost fresh in my wheel bearings, head bearings the same. Think the Ural maintenance manual is written to the worst case scenario. If you are doing lot's of water crossings, leave your bike in the rain, and ride it extreme cross country then you are going to have to perform maintenance a lot sooner. Think garage kept, normal riding does not apply.

Bill


Perso

User avatar
Swordsman
Comrade General
Comrade General
Posts: 801
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: White, GA, USA

Re: 10k service: DISregarding the owner's manual?

Post by Swordsman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:47 pm

Funny, I've actually done most of that already. I have a vibration (I now believe it to be tire related) that I swapped in a new U-joint in an attempt to fix, so all the shaft splines have been addressed just recently. I leaked so much final drive oil that I flushed and replaced it. Also attempting to quiet the vibration, I've kept a close eye on the spokes. I swapped tires to get some better tread on the pusher, and greased the splines on both rear wheels. I just changed the transmission and engine oil tonight (and made the most catastrophic mess ever... why the hell did it keep burping oil when i tried to fill it!?). I guess I'm really down to a fastener check, linkage greasing, the valves, and a carb balance check.

And who thought it was a good idea to add the cross pipe on the exhaust? That's a helluva place to put it!"Gee, let's pick the one spot that will be the most difficult to work around." :gahhh: Pulling the headers off to change the filter is simply bizarre.

~SM
2010 Ural T with all the trimmings!

"Nothing is boring when you're wearing armor." ~Maxim Magazine

User avatar
gflapg
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 7253
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: 10k service: DISregarding the owner's manual?

Post by gflapg » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:13 am

You should be able to change the oil filter without pulling any of your exhaust. Everything will just clear the cross pipe. Well assuming you have something close to a stock setup.
May all beings be blessed by the three jewels
May the planet be at peace, and the earth stay beautiful
May all beings be happy
May all have good fortune

"When the mind is clear, one can sip tea; when the spirit is at ease, one can talk of aspiration."

2010 GU ( the year before that goofy Pecans and Cream Version)
2003 Raceway Custom Built Wolf
1993 Solo

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar
Posts: 2993
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:12 am

Re: 10k service: DISregarding the owner's manual?

Post by WEGUNTER » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:55 am

Oil filter comes out with a bit of bending and wiggling. On the older Russian filters you could soak them in oil a little bit so that they became flexible and then slide them in. for the newer filters, I just get it as far up the tube as I possibly can and then hit it with the palm of my hand and it clears the cross pipe.

Bill

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 15674
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: 10k service: DISregarding the owner's manual?

Post by gobium » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:07 am

Swordsman wrote:Funny, I've actually done most of that already. I have a vibration (I now believe it to be tire related) that I swapped in a new U-joint in an attempt to fix, so all the shaft splines have been addressed just recently. I leaked so much final drive oil that I flushed and replaced it. Also attempting to quiet the vibration, I've kept a close eye on the spokes. I swapped tires to get some better tread on the pusher, and greased the splines on both rear wheels. I just changed the transmission and engine oil tonight (and made the most catastrophic mess ever... why the hell did it keep burping oil when i tried to fill it!?). I guess I'm really down to a fastener check, linkage greasing, the valves, and a carb balance check.

And who thought it was a good idea to add the cross pipe on the exhaust? That's a helluva place to put it!"Gee, let's pick the one spot that will be the most difficult to work around." :gahhh: Pulling the headers off to change the filter is simply bizarre.
Change oil filter on my, did not have to take header off. Gobi gear up.

~SM

rougaroo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Posts: 3913
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:58 am
Location: NC

Re: 10k service: DISregarding the owner's manual?

Post by rougaroo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:43 am

I think that the bearings are really the only significant change. All the rest of the stuff, spline lube, etc, still needs to be done.

I bought both my Urals used with low km's on them but 6-7 years. Because of that, I pulled the 10,000km service on them to have a baseline, since there was no telling how they had been serviced in the past. In both cases they had the original Russian grease (or just a little left) in the bearings, all stiff and mud-like.

Even though you don't have to clean & repack the bearings, it is still a good policy to take a look at them sometime or another. I look on the 10,000km service as a opportunity to pull a major look-see that everything's ok.

ROugaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

User avatar
Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 19684
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:46 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: 10k service: DISregarding the owner's manual?

Post by Albuquralque » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:01 am

rougaroo wrote:I think that the bearings are really the only significant change. All the rest of the stuff, spline lube, etc, still needs to be done.

I bought both my Urals used with low km's on them but 6-7 years. Because of that, I pulled the 10,000km service on them to have a baseline, since there was no telling how they had been serviced in the past. In both cases they had the original Russian grease (or just a little left) in the bearings, all stiff and mud-like.

Even though you don't have to clean & repack the bearings, it is still a good policy to take a look at them sometime or another. I look on the 10,000km service as a opportunity to pull a major look-see that everything's ok.

ROugaroo

I did the same thing when I bought the 06 Patrol with 15000 Kms on it. Front wheel still had OEM Russian grease in the bearings. I'm going with check your bearings, can't hurt and it doesn't take long.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"


Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

User avatar
Swordsman
Comrade General
Comrade General
Posts: 801
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: White, GA, USA

Re: 10k service: DISregarding the owner's manual?

Post by Swordsman » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:23 pm

gflapg wrote:You should be able to change the oil filter without pulling any of your exhaust. Everything will just clear the cross pipe. Well assuming you have something close to a stock setup.
It's stock, but I don't see how that could possibly work. Sure, I could bend it up and get it out, but what about getting the new one back in? The angle was pretty severe... didn't look anywhere close to making it.

~SM
2010 Ural T with all the trimmings!

"Nothing is boring when you're wearing armor." ~Maxim Magazine

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar
Posts: 2993
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:12 am

Re: 10k service: DISregarding the owner's manual?

Post by WEGUNTER » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:36 pm

don't baby it. Who cares if you bend the old one????? It is going in the trash anywyas. In terms of the new one. Lay on your back, Put the new one into position and then shove it hard with the palm of your hand and it will clear the cross pipe.

Bill

User avatar
MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor
Posts: 8823
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:16 pm
Location: Winter Park, Fl.

Re: 10k service: DISregarding the owner's manual?

Post by MartyL » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:06 pm

Put the new Oil Filter in a plastic bag and put some new oil in it to get new oil in the filter. Take it out of the bag and install. It should slip in. Don't forget the Top hat rubber seal to put on the filter and it's holder. Snug the holder but don't over tighten or it will leak and ruin the rubber O ring. Look at the You tube maintenance video on installing the filter. Easy...
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2018 H-D FLHXS
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

User avatar
gflapg
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 7253
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: 10k service: DISregarding the owner's manual?

Post by gflapg » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:43 pm

WEGUNTER wrote:don't baby it. Who cares if you bend the old one????? It is going in the trash anywyas. In terms of the new one. Lay on your back, Put the new one into position and then shove it hard with the palm of your hand and it will clear the cross pipe.

Bill
+1 :thumbsup:

Unless you have something screwed up don't be a girl and push it in. :old:
May all beings be blessed by the three jewels
May the planet be at peace, and the earth stay beautiful
May all beings be happy
May all have good fortune

"When the mind is clear, one can sip tea; when the spirit is at ease, one can talk of aspiration."

2010 GU ( the year before that goofy Pecans and Cream Version)
2003 Raceway Custom Built Wolf
1993 Solo

User avatar
markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:25 am
Location: Whiskysconsin

Re: 10k service: DISregarding the owner's manual?

Post by markhas » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:27 pm

gflapg wrote:
WEGUNTER wrote:don't baby it. Who cares if you bend the old one????? It is going in the trash anywyas. In terms of the new one. Lay on your back, Put the new one into position and then shove it hard with the palm of your hand and it will clear the cross pipe.

Bill
+1 :thumbsup:

Unless you have something screwed up don't be a girl and push it in. :old:
That's been done just that way 26 times on my 06' Tourist.
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin
06' Tourist 41167/over 75,000Km, 91" 750 Honda Nighthawk sold to my buddy Ernie, we keep in touch.

User avatar
Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Posts: 4295
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: 10k service: DISregarding the owner's manual?

Post by Lokiboy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:35 pm

A technique for replacing the oil filter. Lower the filter with base attached on to the cross over pipe. Separate the filter from the base. Putting on a new filter – just reverse the procedure. Slide the filter into the engine. Take the base and position it on top of the cross over pipe then push the base and filter together.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

Post Reply