Rim guard for tire changing.

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
VWK75S
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Rim guard for tire changing.

Post by VWK75S » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:03 am

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:25 pm
What I've found works for me is this MotionPro tire iron set
100% agree :thumbsup:
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2010 ST 10,000kms
2009 GearUp 165,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

Bigflash1
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Bigflash1 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:36 pm

The key to this was shared earlier by Chad, get the Baja tool set!
You do not use a tire iron to put tires back on the rim at all.
Just powder up the tire and add the tube with a tiny bit of air, (sort of keeps its shape and out of the way)
Soap the rim and bead, then use the Baja tool to push the tire on the rim.
Absolutely no risk of pinching the tube by accident.
2018 Gear up
Dallas, GA (Just outside of ATL)

Snakeoil
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Snakeoil » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:09 pm

When both beads are still mounted, One of those Irwin Quik Clamps can help squeeze the tire so that it will drop into the center allowing the opposite side of the bead to sllp over the rim.

Not sure I'd put the tube in the tire before I put the first bead over the rim. With a valve puller like Chad showed, it is pretty each to get the stem into the hole in the rim. Then you just work the tube in under the bead that has yet to be put over the rim and then just do the rim. Again, the Quick Clamp will help.

I have seen several videos of folks mounting bike tires using the zip tie method. Basically you zip tie the tire so the beads are touching. The you slip one side over the rim and work it around and slip the other side over. Cut the zip ties and you are done. I even went out and bought the heavy duty zip ties to try the method, but never did. Here's a vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADh3PUDkzAY

While looking for this vid, I found several others, one using silicone spray and another guy using WD40. Just shows how many never think about what they are doing. Another rub with things like silicone and similar lubes is if you get that stuff on the tread and head out on your bike, there is a good chance you'll lowside in the first corner. Granted, not an issue on a sidecar rig. But worth mentioning for those with solo bikes.
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains\
Those who beat their swords into plowshares, normally end up plowing for those who didn't.

bratmanxj
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by bratmanxj » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:05 am

Snakeoil wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:09 pm
I have seen several videos of folks mounting bike tires using the zip tie method. Basically you zip tie the tire so the beads are touching. The you slip one side over the rim and work it around and slip the other side over. Cut the zip ties and you are done. I even went out and bought the heavy duty zip ties to try the method, but never did. Here's a vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADh3PUDkzAY
I have used that method when trying to mount stubborn yard implement tires on tiny 4" rims where you couldn't fit a tire-levers. Zip tie the tire up and beat the sucker on with a dead blow!

I had a buddy who did it once with a scooter tire and used a good 30 zip-ties. The time it took to prep/mount/cut vs what I could do with tire irons wasn't worth it. Its a tool to use in the right instance (no other option?) but not my go-to.
1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
2007 Ural Tourist - The Big Red Brick
Chinese Knock off Honda Trail 70 rescued from the in-laws shed
Boats, Jets Skis and Golf Carts...other fun stuff!

Snakeoil
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:12 pm

I had a buddy who did it once with a scooter tire and used a good 30 zip-ties. The time it took to prep/mount/cut vs what I could do with tire irons wasn't worth it. Its a tool to use in the right instance (no other option?) but not my go-to.
Watching that and a couple other zip-tie videos certainly did not make it look like it was very easy. I seem to remember the vids that were around when they first started talking about this method made it look like a snap, which is why I went out and bought some big-a$$ zip-ties. I still curse them every time I open up that drawer in my toolbox because they are too long to fit. So, I have to bend them and close the door so you can imaging what happens the next time I open the drawer. :oops:
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains\
Those who beat their swords into plowshares, normally end up plowing for those who didn't.

putinza

Post by putinza » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:20 am

No mention of a bead buddy? I've never tried the zip tie method but the bead buddy is really helpful in pushing the bead to the center.
2012 Ural Tourist (now in several crates :( )
2015 BMW F800GS

VWK75S
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by VWK75S » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:16 am

Been using the zip tie method for years.
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2010 ST 10,000kms
2009 GearUp 165,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles