650 Torque Value

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
URALNUT60
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

650 Torque Value

Post by URALNUT60 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:25 pm

Question for the 650 builders, if using anti seize on on head bolts what would you torque them at being it increases torque number?

jeffsaline
Party Member
Party Member

Re: 650 Torque Value

Post by jeffsaline » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:15 pm

No idea what the torque value is but as a rule I would reduce the torque value about 20%. If anti-seize is called out in the tech specs the torque value should already be correct.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Claus
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: 650 Torque Value

Post by Claus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:24 am

I have found out that the recommended 28 to 32 Nm are too much very often. So if been asked, I recommend not to go for a torque rate but fasten the bolts by a normal wrench and with a feeling for when it´s too much and stop at that point. If you use anti seize, I would recommend the same.
I´m not shure, anti seize would help at this place. The problem is deformation of the rocker arm trestle´s holes by too much torque. This is causing jamming and uneasy disassembly.
After repairing the hole with a conical countersink it will do.
The head nuts are threaded M8x1 fine thread on the rocker side, this brings a self-locking effect. If you use anti seize, this effect is lost partially.
I guess that´s not wanted.

What I do with my 650 model is retorquing after the first 100 km, Every time I check valve play, I check axial rocker play as well. If too much, I losen one nut, push the trestle towards the rocker arm and fasten again.

This is not what the repair manual sais, but what I experienced since 1993 when I bought my Ural.
owned bikes: 93 Ural hack domestic model, 01 Ural 750 hack
92 BMW R100GS, 92 Suzuki GSX1100G hack, 95 BMW R100R hack with Ural sidecar