Clutch Cable Problems

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
todd022
Comrade
Comrade

Clutch Cable Problems

Post by todd022 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:10 pm

I have way too much slack in my clutch cable. I replaced the cable with new one for my 2010 Tourist, and thought I hit all the anchor points on the frame/engine so everything there should be fine. When I ride and pull the clutch lever, I am not engaging the clutch...HARD shifting. I know...I have checked the clutch engagement arm. Everything looks fine. Of course I have played with over and over and over the adjustment points at the lever and both on the engine.

1.) Can anyone provide a definitive clutch routing diagram or pics showing from lever to transmission?
2.) I am starting to think 2013 clutch cables are slightly longer with the EFI engines, and maybe I bought one of these hence my slack. Is there a certain clutch cable for the 750cc Urals prior to EFI?
2010 Tourist

Snakeoil
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: Clutch Cable Problems

Post by Snakeoil » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:31 pm

Routing may affect effort at the lever, but not travel of the core relative to the outer sheath (housing). The two points are the anchor points for the housing at each end, on or both are normally adustable. The other variable is he difference in length between housing and core. If incorrect you could run out of adjustability on those ends.

My guess is you have too much slack, meaning the housing is too loose, or your core is too long (wrong cable). Compare your old cable to your new. Both should have same difference between core and housing.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Eric N
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Eric N » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:45 pm

Sorry, it's dark and snowy but here are some photos of the three contact points. Photos are from a Retro, but they all work the same. There is adjustment at both the gearbox and clutch release sides.

Can you attach photos of your setup?

Handlebar
handlebar.jpg

Gearbox
gearbox.jpg
Clutch Release Arm
clutch release arm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

jaybird
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:56 pm

Sometimes the push rod that goes through the transmission will break in two and the two pieces will grind together and shorten the rod and effect clutch disengagement. If it's not the clutch cable adjustment or a bent clutch arm, I'd check the push rod. If that rod breaks it will cause repeated clutch adjustments and creeping in gear, eventually the plunger will bottom out and you'll run out of adjustment.
Check the easier things first.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

todd022
Comrade
Comrade

Post by todd022 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:59 am

Jaybird: something like this is what I'm afraid of. Based on the other responses, my cable is attached correctly. Even with my last clutch cable I was already getting some definite creeping while in gear. I'm thinking you may have nailed it. I will investigate in the next week or two. Thanks for the responses. I'll keep everyone posted!
2010 Tourist

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:45 am

todd022 wrote:I have way too much slack in my clutch cable. I replaced the cable with new one for my 2010 Tourist, and thought I hit all the anchor points on the frame/engine so everything there should be fine. When I ride and pull the clutch lever, I am not engaging the clutch...HARD shifting. I know...I have checked the clutch engagement arm. Everything looks fine. Of course I have played with over and over and over the adjustment points at the lever and both on the engine.

1.) Can anyone provide a definitive clutch routing diagram or pics showing from lever to transmission?
2.) I am starting to think 2013 clutch cables are slightly longer with the EFI engines, and maybe I bought one of these hence my slack. Is there a certain clutch cable for the 750cc Urals prior to EFI?
Km?
May be time for new clutch?

Msblu79

Post by Msblu79 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:28 am

Good possibility, mine started acting up very much like that until it finally gave out and I found the inner splines were chewed up badly causing it to hang up and drag. Kept having to play with the cable adjustment to get it to start working again. :(
2010 Black Patrol

todd022
Comrade
Comrade

Post by todd022 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:12 pm

12,650 km on the dial...a new clutch is a possibility.

I have a considerable amount of fluid seeping around where the clutch engagement arm connects to the clutch. Is this indicative of anything? Wishful thinking says that a broken push rod would allow fluid to leak out of the clutch and out the back.
2010 Tourist

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

todd022 ,seems the leak is the o-ring, i think you could remove the clutch arm and check both the shaft/ring.seen this done not very hard to do. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

todd022
Comrade
Comrade

Post by todd022 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:56 pm

Hotflash- that's what I was thinking. Looks like a rear wheel removal and everything can pretty much be done on the center stand (I hope...I hope...I hope). Holopaw has the parts at a VERY reasonable price as well.
2010 Tourist

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:37 am

todd022, there very good youtube videos by member Gobium and others on how to do this operation. link http://myural.com/ ( go to chapter 6.3) :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:59 pm

todd022 wrote: I have a considerable amount of fluid seeping around where the clutch engagement arm connects to the clutch.
You didn't mention this to start with. I'd say no, shouldn't be happening.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta