1971 BMW with a Ural sidecar - $6,000 - Baltimore, MD

Got some Russian bikes or parts you want to buy or sell? Advertise your wares here. Individuals only - No dealers in this section please.
Forum rules
This section is for individual forum members to buy, sell, or swap bikes, parts or accessories. Once the item has sold, please edit your post and put "SOLD" in the topic subject title. Dealers and other commercial entities need to post in "The Gray Market" section. All listings must be motorcycle related, preferrably for Urals or Dneprs. No guns, real estate, etc. All items must have an asking price or what you are willing to trade for. No auctions or bids here. If you want to auction an item, put it on eBay and post a link to your item's auction on eBay here.
Waffl6
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: 1971 BMW with a Ural sidecar - $6,000 - Baltimore, MD

Post by Waffl6 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:25 am

Tuglife wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:39 am
That’s probably Ethan who owns the Baltimore Motorcycle Collective. He’s a great mechanic and an honest decent guy. Never saw the bike but I’d 3rd hand vouch that the folks here are legit. Tommy Turnbull who did the sidecar frame(and probably the bike maintenance) is a local celebrity in Baltimore(not a big town) and definitely as much of a BMW and sidecar guru as exists in this country. Hope I get to check it out in a couple weeks when I get home as this is where our bike club meets.
I take it you've been to the collective? I found out about it last year but only recently looked into it again. Are they looking for people to volunteer time down there? Would love to talk shop and help people work on bikes if that's a thing they allow.
Probably the youngest guy in the room.

Current bikes: 1987 Rebel 250, 1990 Ninja 500, 2009 Honda Shadow 750

Past bikes: 1994 Katana 600

Fairfax Virginia

Tuglife
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Tuglife » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:59 am

Waffl6 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:25 am
Tuglife wrote:
That’s probably Ethan who owns the Baltimore Motorcycle Collective. He’s a great mechanic and an honest decent guy. Never saw the bike but I’d 3rd hand vouch that the folks here are legit. Tommy Turnbull who did the sidecar frame(and probably the bike maintenance) is a local celebrity in Baltimore(not a big town) and definitely as much of a BMW and sidecar guru as exists in this country. Hope I get to check it out in a couple weeks when I get home as this is where our bike club meets.
I take it you've been to the collective? I found out about it last year but only recently looked into it again. Are they looking for people to volunteer time down there? Would love to talk shop and help people work on bikes if that's a thing they allow.
Waffl6 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:25 am
Tuglife wrote:
Absolutely! You can help me! Lol I’ve only actually gotten down there twice despite my M66 and garage being almost a literal stones throw away. What you ought to do is check out the terramoto social club. Gene who has an old BMW and Ethan who owns the collective started it last year. I’ve only made it to one meet as I’m away at sea often but it’s just a bunch of regular guys(and gals) getting together for rides, movie nights, local meet ups, going to bike shows etc. they're hoping to cohost the gentleman ride this year with an after party. they’re currently hosting a Baltimore bike build-off with a $1k 3mo limit and at the end there’s going to be a ride and judging at a big party at the collective. Ethan has graciously made the collective a clubhouse of sorts for the group despite it being almost counter to his business model. Extremely loose and casual deal, nothing clandestine or biker gang like at all. Just some folks who want to get out and ride and get together and tinker on their bikes etc. Looking forward to this summer as I think there’s gonna be lots of cool stuff happening and I personally have no friends with bikes and nobody to ride with. Planning to go there in a week and a half when I’m home to see if I can get some help balancing carbs, setting timing and tuning my rebuilt m66. I’m so used to sitting alone in my garage trying to work on my bike via YouTube videos with nobody to ask so I really like the idea of having a place where someone’s always around to shoot the $#!+, take a ride or lend a hand tinkering with someone’s bike. The group is on social media if you wanna check it out. Hopefully I’ll see you around there sometime.
1971-1973 M-66 FrankenUral w/ M-67 powerplant.
Baltimore, MD
U.S. Merchant Marine Officer

Lmo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by Lmo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:06 pm

Claus, any problems with TUV?
Last edited by Lmo on Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

Waffl6
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Waffl6 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:08 pm

Tuglife wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:59 am
Absolutely! You can help me! Lol I’ve only actually gotten down there twice despite my M66 and garage being almost a literal stones throw away. What you ought to do is check out the terramoto social club. Gene who has an old BMW and Ethan who owns the collective started it last year. I’ve only made it to one meet as I’m away at sea often but it’s just a bunch of regular guys(and gals) getting together for rides, movie nights, local meet ups, going to bike shows etc. they're hoping to cohost the gentleman ride this year with an after party. they’re currently hosting a Baltimore bike build-off with a $1k 3mo limit and at the end there’s going to be a ride and judging at a big party at the collective. Ethan has graciously made the collective a clubhouse of sorts for the group despite it being almost counter to his business model. Extremely loose and casual deal, nothing clandestine or biker gang like at all. Just some folks who want to get out and ride and get together and tinker on their bikes etc. Looking forward to this summer as I think there’s gonna be lots of cool stuff happening and I personally have no friends with bikes and nobody to ride with. Planning to go there in a week and a half when I’m home to see if I can get some help balancing carbs, setting timing and tuning my rebuilt m66. I’m so used to sitting alone in my garage trying to work on my bike via YouTube videos with nobody to ask so I really like the idea of having a place where someone’s always around to shoot the $#!+, take a ride or lend a hand tinkering with someone’s bike. The group is on social media if you wanna check it out. Hopefully I’ll see you around there sometime.
I'll check the club out for sure! I didn't know anything about it. I'm definitely looking for more people to ride with and I'm really trying to branch out into different areas to meet people.

Bike buildoff sounds pretty cool, that's a small limit so the builds have to be pretty interesting!

If you ever want an extra hand I'm willing to help out if I'm free, just let me know. I'm located in Fairfax Virginia currently, so I'm not too far out. I can't help you with timing though as I haven't personally done it yet.

I feel you on the working alone with YouTube videos...I have come here to the masterminds a few times for mechanical advice when I was stuck with something and I also met up recently with one of the members here in our area to true a rim.
Probably the youngest guy in the room.

Current bikes: 1987 Rebel 250, 1990 Ninja 500, 2009 Honda Shadow 750

Past bikes: 1994 Katana 600

Fairfax Virginia

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:45 pm

eastbloc wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:30 am
It's been some time since Adam Smith established that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay :) that's not the full equation, though -- there's also a matter of how many such buyers there are versus the number of items available.

There's no shortage of Russian, Ukrainian, and Chinese sidecars available relative to the number of buyers. A seller might get lucky once, but on average I would bet the selling price of a used Ural chair is closer to $1500 than to $3000.

I doubt that Harley chair will sell for more than half that asking price too. Just because something is rare, doesn't mean it's in demand!

That TLE Harley sidecar (just the car/frame) just sold for $8500.00. That's $500.00 more than they guy had it listed for. Crazy.
There's a buyer for everything if they want it.

IMG_0622.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1991 Honda XR250L, 1969 BMW r60/2 US model

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:31 pm

I didn’t realize it was new old stock. $8500 isn’t outrageous considering.
'14 Gear Up
'00 Bavarian Classic

Claus

Post by Claus » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:29 am

Lmo wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:06 pm
Claus, any problems with TUV?
The bike was legally registered as a rig before so I just resurrected the thing with new and better components and the higher engine output is exactly within the 20% performance increase the law allows.
And I´ve got a couple of funny certificates of craftsmanship and a master craftsman´s diploma as a motorcycle and bicycle mechanic, that helps with things like that. So no TÜV problems.
owned bikes: 93 Ural hack domestic model, 01 Ural 750 hack
92 BMW R100GS, 92 Suzuki GSX1100G hack, 95 BMW R100R hack with Ural sidecar